Builds Going to meet my new 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptClose

SILVER Star
Threads
New guy here (to the 80 forum). I’ve been in the 60 forum for a while now, but I had an itch for an 80 that I just had to scratch. I was shopping for several weeks waiting for the right deal to pop up. I learned pretty quickly that you have to pull the trigger pretty quick on these trucks, because the good one go quick. The good thing is, that there’s always another deal the following week.

Another mudder @FishTown pointed me to a White 97 in Lake Havasu, and after a quick phone conversation with the seller, I had agreed to purchase the truck.

That was two weeks ago. Today I went to the airport to fly out to Phoenix to pick up the Cruiser. The plan is to drive it back home to San Antonio via the Grand Canyon. About a 1200 mike trip. Maybe a crazy idea, but I brought my tools...

CB47BD1B-C4A8-46E5-B4DD-E74AA0714243.jpeg

Lake Havasu is about a three hour drive west of Phoenix, so tomorrow I’ll head out in the morning in the rental truck to meet the seller.

I’ll try to chronical the trip in this thread. Anyone that happens to be along I-40 through Arizona, keep an eye out for me. Here’s a pic of the 80, I’ll get more after I actually lay eyes on her tomorrow.

57B3F131-3D1C-4FE3-B85D-D4804237A91A.jpeg

The long term plans are to restore/refresh and build an overland rig. Anyway, thanks for having me. I’m looking forward to hanging out in the 80’s forum with you all.

Cool! Nice score, I love white 80 series Cruisers.

Your red 60 is what my red 60 wants to be someday!

Diggin the SAS 1 sticker on the toolbox. See you at SAS 2

Enjpy the ride, I bet you don't even need the tools.

I’m on the road. CEL P0401 came up. Looks like a common EGR code. My brake lights don’t work, so if anybody knows if there’s a common problem/easy fix, let me know. I don’t really have time to troubleshoot a short while I’m on the road.

67E21264-0D6F-4995-91CF-01D25DC054A7.jpeg

Oh yeah... the door ajar light is intermittent. Another short somewhere I suppose.

I’m on the road. CEL P0401 came up. Looks like a common EGR code. My brake lights don’t work, so if anybody knows if there’s a common problem/easy fix, let me know. I don’t really have time to troubleshoot a short while I’m on the road.

View attachment 1645968

Oh yeah... the door ajar light is intermittent. Another short somewhere I suppose.
Ryan, see if the tail lights come on with the light switch. If so it could be the brake lever switch. Just throwing darts here ma man....

Did he have a trailer hooked up in the first photo? If so, check the fuse for the lights. My fuse always blew when towing a trailer, must have been a short in the trailer harness somewhere.

Found this from T-rex in a thread on door light issues:
I had the same problem with lights staying on so i just cheated and used some stick on rubber pads that i got from the local hardware. They are about 5mm thick and about 20mm round and i just stuck them on the door where the switch pushes against it. Been there for about 5 years now

Might get lucky and the switch just isn't making good contact from wear.

I just stopped in Flagstaff for the night. Here are my light issues so far, maybe there is a common fault or fuse that is the culprit. Some of you more experienced 80’s guys may know:

Rear Running lights work, but not the brake lights.

All the side running lamp markers do not work.

Only one headlight works

The high beam/low beam function does not work. I think I’m stuck on low beams because the high beam indicator on the dash does not come on when I switch to brights.

I think that’s all I’ve noticed so far. Will check that door ajar problem and try @Cass007 fix if I need too.

They do have a trailer harness hooked up and it seems a bit corroded. It may very well be the source of most of the issues.

This is the best pic I have of it at the moment. Will get more later.

98610BC1-E7A6-4C8B-99D1-03370E94766B.png

I’m assuming you’re fuses are good under dash and in engine bay?
I’ve lost a headlight before due to the Slee headlight harness. Many others have had issues as well. Maybe check to if one is installed.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah check the fuse under the dash to the left.. if it's good make sure you see the actual female terminal inside the fuse block too and it's not pushed out or something. Mine popped before but has been good since the replacement.

I'm guessing the third brake light is not working too?

The trailer harness is probably scotch locked in on the rear driverside access panel underneath the jack. I cut mine out and repaired the wires. I would check that as well.

congratulations! I was to see that rig Monday, I think she (Ashley or something like that name) sold it on a Sunday. happy trip home & getting to know your rig

Personally, I found that my left taillight socket wasn't grounded. It appeared to be a problem inside the socket assembly. I couldn't figure out how to disassemble it, so I soldered the bit of ground wire I could see.

i.php

I also had weird issues caused by the trailer wiring harness. My stereo would dim every time I hit the brakes. I pulled the passenger side trunk panel and removed the trailer harness unit. Mine was attached with 3M Scotch-loks, so I needed needle nosed pliers to pull the metal bit out.

The port installed, i'm guessing, trailer harnesses are pretty much crap now after 20+ years. I pulled mine out from the passenger rear panel behind taillight. It was brittle and cracked. Mine ran the entire length of the truck front to rear.

Made it to Meteor Crater today, it was cool, but hurricane force winds (literally) took a lot of the fun away. Plus, it wasn’t as awe inspiring having just come from the Grand Canyon. I recommend going to the Crater first, and then going to the Grand Canyon. Definitely worth the stop though. Just about 10 minutes off the interstate. It’s about a mile across and 550ish feet deep.

41F81224-9BA4-4D85-B76F-5D674E68FF1B.jpeg

I haven’t figured out the problem with the lights yet. Checked all fuses, all are good. Haven’t had the opportunity to pull apart the trailer harness yet, but I will when I get back home. For now, the only light that works, is the Check Engine Light! :mad:

Congrats Ryan. Take it easy and you’ll get there. We all know this will be nothing to you. Enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom