Builds Going to meet my new 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't mean to add to your to do list, but I'd get after that rust growing under your rear window gasket, before it gets the chance to get any worse.

Found an 80 at a nearby pic n pull yesterday. It had been scavenged pretty hard, but did find the passenger fender that I need. Here is my bad fender...

C234DE1F-CC4E-48AF-935A-F3BAF51E69CF.jpeg

Here’s the fender I got from the yard. I started sanding and prepping it for paint. My friend Jimmy @CenTXFJ60 happens to be painting another 80 of the same color, so he’s going to be kind enough to shoot this fender at the same time for me.

8E6E4093-8FF6-46D0-A6FD-2F0F93EAD9AB.jpeg

Jimmy and Mcguire’s Build...

ECBEE620-D8F0-42A7-BA01-7B2F6A605DA3.jpeg

Don't mean to add to your to do list, but I'd get after that rust growing under your rear window gasket, before it gets the chance to get any worse.

By all means, if you see something, say something haha. It’s definitely on the punch list though. Still wondering why the 80’s tend to have rust issues in this area. I’d like to address the root of the problem as well, if I can.

By all means, if you see something, say something haha. It’s definitely on the punch list though. Still wondering why the 80’s tend to have rust issues in this area. I’d like to address the root of the problem as well, if I can.
From what I have found the gasket around the window holds water and funnels to that point where it sits. I have peeled back my gasket a week after rain and water pours out. I'd say as the gaskets get beat with exposure they become brittle and allow water to creap in.

From what I have found the gasket around the window holds water and funnels to that point where it sits. I have peeled back my gasket a week after rain and water pours out. I'd say as the gaskets get beat with exposure they become brittle and allow water to creap in.
I just made a comment adout this very subject in another thread. Per the factory service manual the window installer is supposed to use a gasket sealer, not only between the window, and the gasket, but also between the gasket, and the window frame. Use of the sealer helps to keep water from being able to get between the gasket and the window frame.

Most aftermarket installers don't want to use the sealent, because it takes more time to do the install, so they will want to install the window and gasket dry. That is, unless you insist they use the sealant. If you ever have a need to remove your front, or rear window, make sure you spend the extra money to buy a factory gasket to reinstall it with. The aftermarket ones the glass companys sell are crap, the extra money you spend on a factory one will save you from dealing with leaks, or window frame rust problems later on.

Refurbed the grill today with some BBQ grill rattle can paint. It came out pretty good for now...

6D7AEAAA-8E1D-486B-9E63-CDE54CEB9A4B.jpeg

Here it is installed...

42716D3B-E73A-424B-A15B-90F45F203722.png

Jimmy shot the new fender today too. I’m hoping the rest of the truck will buff up and shine well enough to blend in a bit. If not, I’ll take a chain and beat on that fender to add a distressed look to match the rest of the truck haha.

B869F8EB-DE7E-4CE3-8D6A-CA5CC132B6DF.jpeg

That’s all for today....

Looking good. Wish mine came with silver decals. Mine came with the Trump gold decals so they immediately were removed or painted.

Cim... I may replace these soon, they’re yours if I do.

Cim... I may replace these soon, they’re yours if I do.
I’m way past being able to put decals back on. I covered one of the rear wholes when I did lines the outside.

Great story and adventure!

Usually the problem for electrical is at the fuse box, the pins get loose from jamming fuses in and out over time.

Loved the whole I'll beat the fender with a chain

I love it when new parts come in the mail! What could be in the box?

FE3451B3-F615-4D29-9806-3A9F9CBE333A.jpeg

A new part just as banged up as the old part... :bang:

9443EF35-27B7-4848-88AE-10046EF48549.jpeg

What a major let down

The parts fairy came today...

3BD2700D-F2D4-4DD4-85AA-B070A8A50E8E.jpeg

Brand new DS sun visor. No more drooping visor hitting me in the face!

B38B6711-9A0A-46BD-9CAD-4F1DA82049BE.jpeg

Also started pulling and refurbishing all the plastic dash trim peices. It’s hard to describe how dirty the interior is. Years of smoking have left a tar-like film on everything, and the dirt and grime stick to it like glue. I pulled off each piece, cleaned, scrubbed, prepped them for paint, and then sprayed them with three coats of paint. The end result turned out fantastic

4816E3B3-F3C2-40AD-B9BE-730A900CE376.jpeg

They look brand new and best of all... they’re clean!

I used this stuff, available from Cruiser Corp. this is “graphite grey” and matches the interior color very well.

C6F0AD33-E789-4874-BA35-034D5DBAA6AC.jpeg

38FF7A4D-CE4E-496A-A461-20198463806E.jpeg

I’ve also used the brown color in my 60 with excellent results.

6BA0E221-15A8-46F2-8473-E10B1F5CE270.jpeg

37C6032B-95AA-4C3C-9FEE-92AC73433BBB.jpeg

Working on refurbishing the instrument cluster today. I’m using a Njvus glass polishing kit and it’s made a huge difference so far.

3A0FE501-CF38-4C2D-9BBA-6015092A31B2.jpeg

The “D” drive light is out, so I’ll need to replace that. Anybody got a bulb number for that?

1B01C9C8-A049-40B5-B6C2-C9B5060D499F.jpeg

I’m also going to replace the cluster light with LED’s to eliminate the dull green light.

Working on refurbishing the instrument cluster today. I’m using a Njvus glass polishing kit and it’s made a huge difference so far.

View attachment 1656098

The “D” drive light is out, so I’ll need to replace that. Anybody got a bulb number for that?

View attachment 1656102

I’m also going to replace the cluster light with LED’s to eliminate the dull green light.

Awesome work.

I believe there is a thread that lists all the led part numbers for the entire truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom