Goin' End To End 12/78 FJ40 "Yellow Truck" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigHighBlue

GOLD Star
Threads
Bought my first 40, she's a 12/78. Not a lot of great history from the PO except that the previous owner to him used it in Montana for hunting. I think I made a decent buy although when I got it home I found gas in the oil. There wasn't any I could see when I did the walk around so I'm hoping its a new issue. I replaced the oil and filter and ran it enough to get it into the garage. I'm starting by replacing fuel pump, lines, and returned to factory by removing and replacing the weber carb set up. While its apart I think I'll go ahead and base line it with new plugs, wires, coolant hoses, belts and whatever else I find while I'm in there. Water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, what else?

IMG_2716.jpeg

IMG_2770.jpeg

Engine bay post break down
IMG_2772.jpeg

Fuel pump out. I'm assuming that was the culprit for gas in the oil
IMG_2771.jpeg

Old weber carb delete. Waiting on parts...

Anyone know where this red hose goes to?

IMG_2775.jpeg

I found it dangling when I starting going through things and so far I can't figure out where it goes.
IMG_2774.jpeg

It's part of the waterproofing of your distributor. There's an o-ring sealing the base of the cap and then two ports on the cap. One runs to the air cleaner (small port on distributor side) and the other to the firewall port the other side of which is a small filter in the cab. This keeps the distrib dry by always sucking air through to the intake.

Why is it disconnected? Who knows. You'll have a lot of those questions as you proceed.

33511146-938F-41CE-AD97-E84AC4428578.jpeg

Took off the front stuff. Some good validation in there. Bearings on the fan clutch and water pump were wobbly and the belts were shot. More parts ordering tomorrow!

Nice 40. Mine is a 10/78 in Freeborn Red. I like the mustard👍

AWESOME .. Thanks you!!!

Then got 'er started. Sounds surprisingly good, I'm pretty happy considering unknown miles on a 43 year old engine...

Been noticing some smoke on start up, it seems to go away after driving for a while. Decided to test the compression. Overall I'd say it looks pretty darn good. These are all on a cold engine, I'm assuming it would look even better if it was warmed up first.

1. 120 Dry, 150 Wet
2. 120 Dry, 145 Wet
3. 125 Dry, 150 Wet
4. 120 Dry, 130 Wet
5. 120 Dry, 145 Wet
6. 120 Dry, 150 Wet

From what I've read the higher wet pressure means that the rings are going but I'm wondering if because the engine is cold they just show higher when I added oil. I'm also guessing some of the variation in wet pressure is due to how much oil I put in. I tried to put as little as possible but enough to give me a good reading, about a Tbsp.

The question is, what is causing the smoke? My working hypothesis is that its valve seals, oil leaking down the valves and into the cylinders. I'm gonna check vacuum next then leak down. It drives so darn well I'm not rushing into tearing down the engine, think I'll focus more on getting the garage squared away and the top off, bikini on.

IMG_2977.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom