Giving an old 40 a new lease on life: a build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I've been lurking here for awhile gathering information and decided I'd finally make an account. Earlier this year my father and I drove out to Oklahoma to pick up a 1971 FJ40 that wasn't completely rusted out. Living in the rust belt has made us wary of anything local.
Still a little rusty but not nearly as bad as some we've seen. The 1F is seized up so I'm planning on doing an engine swap.

Current plans for this build are:

Swapping in an LS1 engine and 4L60E transmission

FJ60 Power Steering Conversion

Rust repair and a repaint

IMG_3606 (1).jpg

IMG_3645 (1).jpg

Wow it looks great! Great looking patina. Preserving the rust and paint is also an option too, there is a thread on rust preservation here:

It’s your truck, not mine so do what you want with it, but in my opinion, it looks absolutely amazing the way it is, especially the bezel.

Wow it looks great! Great looking patina. Preserving the rust and paint is also an option too, there is a thread on rust preservation here:

It’s your truck, not mine so do what you want with it, but in my opinion, it looks absolutely amazing the way it is, especially the bezel.
Thanks! I do agree, I also love a 40 with patina. Unfortunately my passenger side rocker is pretty much gone so I feel a really clean steel replacement panel might clash haha
I'll probably order a new bezel and hang this one on the wall since it's so solid.

Looks nice. My first 40 series was seized when I got it. Pulled the plugs and squirted ATF on all the cylinders then let it sit for a few days. After that it rolled over by hand. Put a new battery in it, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel and all fluids. Drove it like that for many years.

Looks nice. My first 40 series was seized when I got it. Pulled the plugs and squirted ATF on all the cylinders then let it sit for a few days. After that it rolled over by hand. Put a new battery in it, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel and all fluids. Drove it like that for many years.
That's awesome! These I6s are built pretty darn tough!

Finally got some pics together for an update!
Got the steering column mocked up. I'm using a JEGS column shift steering column with a Heep steering wheel. Used a teq horn button insert from ReefMonkey to try and make it look a little less Heep-y lol
View attachment 2851065 View attachment 2851066

Also unearthed the transmission and transfer case. Darn thing was absolutely caked in mud.

IMG_3922.JPG

Next up: removing the fenders and engine!

I actually think the steering wheel looks good! What diameter is it?

It's been a busy weekend in the shop. Got the whole front clip off and the engine removed. Chopped the shock towers to make way for some F250 shock towers. Also got the FJ60 box mocked up. Waiting on more parts to get the steering setup finished.

IMG_3816.jpg
1638741251234.jpeg
1638741295576.jpeg
1638741334720.jpeg

On an unrelated note: what is everyone using for seatbelts for the front bench seats?

Working on some smaller projects while I try to work up the gusto to mock up the drivetrain and get the mounts welded on.

Firstly, almost finished up on the power steering setup. Just need to flip the stabilizer mount around and move it to the passenger side a few inches and get some clamps, but otherwise everything else is lining up pretty good. Running a 70 series drag link, relay rod, and steering stabilizer with an FJ40 driver side tie rod end.
IMG_4048.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

Also getting @powthief19's 8274 plate mocked up. Absolutely beautiful fitment on this thing.

IMG_4089.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG

I see ebay #265340723990 in your life fairly soon. I actually have two of these, and two with back up light switches in my ebay store- - -just saying.

Working on some smaller projects while I try to work up the gusto to mock up the drivetrain and get the mounts welded on.

Firstly, almost finished up on the power steering setup. Just need to flip the stabilizer mount around and move it to the passenger side a few inches and get some clamps, but otherwise everything else is lining up pretty good. Running a 70 series drag link, relay rod, and steering stabilizer with an FJ40 driver side tie rod end.
View attachment 2864632View attachment 2864613
View attachment 2864642

Also getting @powthief19's 8274 plate mocked up. Absolutely beautiful fitment on this thing.

View attachment 2864648View attachment 2864649
Thanks! Going to look and work awesome!

View attachment 2864632View attachment 2864613
View attachment 2864642

View attachment 2864648View attachment 2864649
Great work. Can you share some more details on the steering linkages you used up front? Is that a 60 series drag link and original 40 series tie rod? I can almost make out the part number in it. And I guess you used 60 drag link ends and 40 tie rod ends?

Basically looks like a simpler approach to the PO fab work I’m trying to sort out now.

190DA8CF-80F5-4A01-AFA7-38A11DC08031.jpeg

Great work. Can you share some more details on the steering linkages you used up front? Is that a 60 series drag link and original 40 series tie rod? I can almost make out the part number in it. And I guess you used 60 drag link ends and 40 tie rod ends?

Basically looks like a simpler approach to the PO fab work I’m trying to sort out now.

View attachment 2905963
Thanks! I’m away from the 40 at the moment so I can’t take a look at the exact part numbers, but for the tie rod its 100% untouched oem. For the drag link it’s comprised of: 1 LHD 70 series drag link, 1 LHD 70 series relay rod, and 1 LHD FJ40 Driver Side tie rod end. The 70 series drag link has the same taper as the 60 series so it fits the 60 series power steering pitman arm. It’s also shorter than a 60 series drag link from what I’ve seen. No cutting required so far. Only problem is where the the tie rod end connects to the long tie rod end with eye on the passenger side, there’s not enough thread for the castle nut to fully go on. Still trying to work that out. If you want I can get some more pics of this set up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom