Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next up, she's going to see the Dr this coming weekend for a front end rebuild. New complete LCAs with bushings and BJs, outer TREs, diff bushings, and steering rack bushings. Couldn't happen soon enough, the truck has been creaking and squeaking for about 6 weeks now... It's embarrassing as hell. I'm also looking forward to not feeling my steering rack try to jump out of the truck every time I go over a rock. Or speedbump. Or stripe on the road. :(

Awesome work on the detail bro! That's alot of work and long hours into a job like that. Feels great when it's all done!

Whew how many hours did that end up taking you to 100% complete? It looks amazing. I can't wait to see it in person. You will love the coating. Make sure when you wash it that you add that SI02 spray to help with the protection of the coating. I wished I could have some over and helped out.

I still need to do the roof 😬🤫

But in total, from the time I finished the stripper wash and finally pulled it out of the garage, maybe 20 hours? Includes the dent pulling, touch up, color sanding, all buffing, and the coating. Basically went from Thursday through Saturday.

Next up, she's going to see the Dr this coming weekend for a front end rebuild. New complete LCAs with bushings and BJs, outer TREs, diff bushings, and steering rack bushings. Couldn't happen soon enough, the truck has been creaking and squeaking for about 6 weeks now... It's embarrassing as hell. I'm also looking forward to not feeling my steering rack try to jump out of the truck every time I go over a rock. Or speedbump. Or stripe on the road. :(

Thanks a TON to Ryan @Wermz for hooking Gerry up over the weekend. Got all of these items replaced and the truck feels like a different vehicle now. I kept finding myself thinking "DAMN!" all day after giving little steering inputs and actually feeling response.

598026730.jpg

IMG_5998.jpg

IMG_5999.jpg

Thanks a TON to Ryan @Wermz for hooking Gerry up over the weekend. Got all of these items replaced and the truck feels like a different vehicle now. I kept finding myself thinking "DAMN!" all day after giving little steering inputs and actually feeling response.

View attachment 2158839

What am I looking at here? Lower control arm bushings and...

Looks like a lot of force to get those out!

Last edited:
What am I looking at here? Lower control arm bushings and...
I had steering rack bushings, diff bushings, complete LCA (including the frame side bushing) and TREs done. In the pic are probably the frame side bushing, diff, and rack bushings.

I had steering rack bushings, diff bushings, complete LCA (including the frame side bushing) and TREs done. In the pic are probably the frame side bushing, diff, and rack bushings.
Next up 35" tires, 4.88 in diffs and 1" body lift!
Oh and also a rear bumper

That’s my dream list. Luckily I’m not there yet for needing it but I imagine yours will handle like new when it’s done.

More little things, just documenting.

Browsing some threads, I caught a link for Cloud City's Amazon store selling all kinds of great little parts for our trucks. So, I snagged a set of rear hatch struts for mine. The original ones would hold the hatch up, but wouldn't lift it. Easy install, :banana: . Don't forget to check the bottom of the packaging for the new replacement ball joint bolts.

View attachment 2125016

I'd ordered a scangauge mount from @BenCC a week or two ago. He printed it to order (such a cool technology) and had it in my hot little hand in no time. I used a palm sander to sand it smooth and Krylon flat khaki paint to match the original trim. For install, I removed the overhead console (one bolt behind the sunglass holder and pull straight down- 4 push clips hold it up), the two DS sun visors, the OS handle and the A-pillar trim. I fished a straight coat hanger down the far side of the dash to pick up the cable from the OBD port. This avoids having the cable run between the dash and door and keeps it hidden. Then just run it up the pillar, squeeze it into the headliner, and pull the connector end into the hole where the overhead console goes.

View attachment 2125017
View attachment 2125018

Up next for Gerry are a set of Jason's rear upper control arms. I'll place that order this week hopefully. Also still wanting drawers, will try to get those done over the winter. Still sitting on front diff and steering rack bushings, and will be doing LBJ and LCA bushings soon. After that stuff is all done, she's good for a while besides little things. Still needing to do the trans fluid drain and fill. I've got a gallon or two of new fluid waiting to get pumped in.
Got it, thank you! Good looking build. I ran my wire to low, toward the bottom of the dash. I'll try the coat hanger method and get it higher. 👍

Unfortunately, my subwoofer blew the day before leaving for a road trip last week. Meaning, I got to enjoy the 9 hour ride with a less than ideal tune-age experience from Mr. Mark Levinson.

So before leaving, I had the Simply Speakers re-foam kit sent to my parents' place and got it knocked out this week. Easy enough process, though trimming the old foam and adhesive from the cone is very tedious. Be careful you don't end up slicing the cone itself. Also worth noting, there is a compression ring that sits around the perimeter of the speaker that must be removed to fully remove the old foam. It's adhered on and will need to razor-bladed away. Once done, you can scrape the old foam from the outer surface of the speaker. I installed the new foam, then new glue to the ring and set it upside-down with some weight to hold it down a bit. Drying time is 1 hour per the instruction.

For $20, 20 minutes to remove, and about 30 minutes to do the job, it was well worth it. Eventually I'd like to revamp the whole system, but it's low priority made lower by the fact that getting new components into the ML-equipped trucks is a pain in the ass and not inexpensive. For now, this works great. Now I've noticed one or two other door speakers that may want some new foam as well.

20191226_153151_HDR.jpg

20191226_153155.jpg

20191226_163400_HDR.jpg

I refoamed all the woofers in my lx and it made a world of a difference. Unless the amp goes, I don't feel the need for new components. low end isn't overwhelming but it's all tight and pretty punchy.

Thank you, I really never knew that one could do this. I've tossed a couple of speakers away for the same reason.
G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom