Gauging interest: Group Buy 60 series mirror adapters (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in having a viable option for mirror choices if the price is fair?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

was wondering about this. good news!
Man, was down for a week+ with a viral URI.

Sent the original OEM gasket with the mirror as well, fabricator said they can make them in house. They're the Euro type mirrors & gaskets, so will likely to a separate.group buy for the gaskets as well.

Initial CAD reps hit my inbox today. Didn't know what to expect, held my breath and. . .NICE!

FJ60 mirror mount 2.png
FJ60 Mirror Mount 1.png

Damn those are nice.
@FullyLitLED - thanks and man, my jaw dropped when I saw the pics.

I just purchased a set of door bezels, pull handles and window cranks - shipping to have them evaluate if they can reproduce OEM billet pieces at a much better price compared to what's available now.

But, one thing at a time, let's see how the adapters go first =)

A few more pics of different mirrors available for the 60 series adapters:
ICON Defender Mirror.jpg
1 Billet TMD Defender Mirrors.jpg
1 Defender Rotating Wing Mirrors.jpg

this looks good!

Any idea on ballpark cost for the package?

Waiting on a final design discussion insofar as pricing for the adapter.

Package - I think you're talking about a package consisting of the adapter, mirror arms and mirrors? If so, that's one of the pricing options I'll have once everything is finalized. But I think a standard package won't go over well in general - and why I go into these projects assuming I'll be the sole purchaser (eg, door cards, window crank handle conversion, etc.). But, I'm hoping the adapter will satisfy most and afford them individual options regarding mirror arms and mirrors.

For me, personally, I'll get two sets of arms. The telescoping set and the pre-wired (for heat) set. The telescoping set to utilize while I'm towing; the prewired set b/c I want to put a set of Rigid Industries 3-wire SR-L to function as spreader lights, turn signals, etc. I'll make the final decision after mounting each and doing my best to choose utility over style=)

Shane

Depending on price I'd be interested. The stock mirrors on my 60 can be aggravating at times.

@dbleon @regretful

Another thought and one that I'll discuss with Bryan @ DDE:

Seems to be a hit or miss if 60 series mirrors shake - my driver's side steady, passenger's side like a bad acid trip.

I'll have to talk to Jason first but if feasible, maybe have Bryan make either a larger adapter and/or a mounting plate for the inside of the door that is oversized compared to the exterior.

I'm great at ideas, terrible on knowledge and how-to, thus my need to talk to Jason @TRAIL TAILOR to get his thoughts.

Someone shared with me recently that 60/62 series doors are different internally. With 62 having a reinforcement in the mirror support section. Haven’t been able to verify myself. Might add to the “some people have mirrors that shake and others don’t” variables.

Someone shared with me recently that 60/62 series doors are different internally. With 62 having a reinforcement in the mirror support section. Haven’t been able to verify myself. Might add to the “some people have mirrors that shake and others don’t” variables.
IIRC the only difference in that area of the doors (between my '86 FJ60 and my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle) were the holes for the power mirror wiring in the FJ62.

Basically what @4Cruisers stated. I brought this exact topic up a while ago r/t a remark I read stating the same - think it was on ICON's mirrors when they were offering them for the 60 series. Nothing concrete was documented and I was told it happens more on the 60 vs. 62, but is both random and a low percentage. I'm one of those random/low percentages (passenger side only).

@NookShneer, man, not trying to bust your nutz here. . .explain why you would post something that although potentially factual, is potentially factual to OEM mirrors? I'm tired, had an incredibly long day and perhaps a little edgier than normal but I fail to understand the rationale behind your comment. To be 100% transparent, I'm working to provide a solution to a specific problem that was clearly stated in my initial thread and literally stated nothing more.

Anyway. . .that exact thought was on my mind when the CAD reps landed. In my reply, I asked to discuss what I thought was a design flaw in the OEM mirrors. Maybe it's the mirrors, maybe it's the mount, maybe it's the door, maybe it's a combination of all 3 or maybe it only happens to people that still owe Karma a sizable debt. Since my 60 is dismantled at the moment, I've been mocking up what I believe would solve the problem over the past month. Having this possible solution incorporated into the new mount is simple, should pose a nominal increase in price but there's one problem - my 60 is dismantled.

So, I need to find the random, low percentage 60/62 in my area to field test the R&D piece. . .key words being random & low percentage. And although I know a few guys that owe Karma, none of them own/drive 60/62 sleds.

Basically what @4Cruisers stated. I brought this exact topic up a while ago r/t a remark I read stating the same - think it was on ICON's mirrors when they were offering them for the 60 series. Nothing concrete was documented and I was told it happens more on the 60 vs. 62, but is both random and a low percentage. I'm one of those random/low percentages (passenger side only).

@NookShneer, man, not trying to bust your nutz here. . .explain why you would post something that although potentially factual, is potentially factual to OEM mirrors? I'm tired, had an incredibly long day and perhaps a little edgier than normal but I fail to understand the rationale behind your comment. To be 100% transparent, I'm working to provide a solution to a specific problem that was clearly stated in my initial thread and literally stated nothing more.

Anyway. . .that exact thought was on my mind when the CAD reps landed. In my reply, I asked to discuss what I thought was a design flaw in the OEM mirrors. Maybe it's the mirrors, maybe it's the mount, maybe it's the door, maybe it's a combination of all 3 or maybe it only happens to people that still owe Karma a sizable debt. Since my 60 is dismantled at the moment, I've been mocking up what I believe would solve the problem over the past month. Having this possible solution incorporated into the new mount is simple, should pose a nominal increase in price but there's one problem - my 60 is dismantled.

So, I need to find the random, low percentage 60/62 in my area to field test the R&D piece. . .key words being random & low percentage. And although I know a few guys that owe Karma, none of them own/drive 60/62 sleds.
Wasn’t trying to slide your progress off course. Just random cruiser info that was shared with me was trying to share with others. I’m into the mirrors and efforts of the thread. Hope this continues to build steam. Could be into the group buy depending on pricing (I’m not rocking Icons for a reason)

Wasn’t trying to slide your progress off course. Just random cruiser info that was shared with me was trying to share with others. I’m into the mirrors and efforts of the thread. Hope this continues to build steam. Could be into the group buy depending on pricing (I’m not rocking Icons for a reason)
Appreciate the maturity in your response, really.

I hesitated on the ICON's for the exact same reason but eventually broke down and said f-it. Went to their website to purchase, 60's weren't an option any longer. Hence my foray into this current project.

I'm naive in this process and thus optimistic regarding pricing. But, using ICON's pricing, maybe my optimism is already skewed, lol.

I'll post pricing as soon as it is available

Shane

...Just random cruiser info that was shared with me was trying to share with others.
I was the source of that info passed on from Icon. Took it for fact without confirming. I bought Icon mirrors (because I'm not as smart as @NookShneer) & maybe none of it is true and just more Cruiser lore.

In any case, I've got the passenger mirror wobbles on my 62 -- and I'm still looking for a mirror solution and eager to see what you come up with, Shane. Not local to you but happy to be a prototype test mule. FWIW I probably purchased the last pair available from Icon and led you down this path.

Last edited:
I was the source of that info passed on from Icon. Took it for fact without confirming. I bought Icon mirrors (because I'm not as smart as @NookShneer) & maybe none of it is true and just more Cruiser lore.

In any case, I've got the passenger mirror wobbles on my 62 -- and I'm still looking for a mirror solution and eager to see what you come up with, Shane. Not local to you but happy to be a prototype test mule. FWIW I probably purchased the last pair available from Icon and led you down this path.

No worries and kinda glad I was forced down this path, know what I mean. I'm going to reach out to my local cruiser club either this weekend or next. I don't see the 60 series around here often but I know the damn unicorns exist. If I can't find one or can't find one with a wobble, I'll take you up on the test mule offer - much appreciated. Ultimately, I think I'll have to send the R&D piece and a small door section for the fine-tuning fitment business. At that point, I'll find a part out, hopefully relatively close, and hone my cutting skills. In the mean time, I have a workaround, just need to find time. . .which seems to always been in a constant state of NEVER, lol.

Thanks, again and I'll keep updates coming as they are available-

Shane

@FullyLitLED - thanks and man, my jaw dropped when I saw the pics.

I just purchased a set of door bezels, pull handles and window cranks - shipping to have them evaluate if they can reproduce OEM billet pieces at a much better price compared to what's available now.

But, one thing at a time, let's see how the adapters go first =)
I am 100% down for billet door pieces and cranks

I am 100% down for billet door pieces and cranks

Appreciate the enthusiasm from a fellow 60 owner!

The guy I'm working with already makes a billet crank very similar to ours, so I'm hoping the design fees are lower compared to going at it from scratch.

As with other 60 related projects, patience is required b/c we all know nothing moves fast in our world, lol.

I'll post updates as they come in. . .

Shane

Was thinking today of your efforts in the mirror adapter project and realized that your location is NOLA. If that doesn't mean North Los Angeles, and means New Orleans, I'm hoping things are ok for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom