Game changer for Travel in the FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2A42BBCA-C070-4F55-B5D6-FC1A5D4A16FC.jpeg

Hint #1: it allows my family to travel 449 miles and still have over half a tank left.
173BC92C-E55F-46CD-A500-2E59C2DC4FA1.jpeg

2, it fits nicely in the spare tire area, and tucks up nicely so it doesn’t hit any rocks.
089B822E-7FDF-477C-ACFC-517B55D6780B.jpeg
3: Comes with this tiny guage and button combo unit.

Sufficed to say I really like this tank. I live in the western US and tour between our home in Western Colorado and the surrounding states. I used to look at less than a half tank of gas and think, I should fill up soon. Poor milage driving out into the desert always made me anxious. Especially when I start climbing a pass and that fuel guage starts dropping prcipitously.

No longer is the case as I spent 3 evenings/afternoons installing the LRA 24 gallon subtank. I have 600 miles of range now. Kids sleeping, just keep driving. Don’t stop and chance them waking up. Gas in the middle of nowhere is to expensive. Just keep driving, stop when you want to, not when you need to.
Range and milage was the number one comprise on this car. Range no longer an issue.

I smiled at your post. Thank you for putting this project and completed objective out there on the interweb

Awesome. I would love to add this someday because I have a pretty similar travel situations in the same neck of the woods as you. That switch being crooked is killing my OCD though. haha
The thing is I don’t see the switch usually as it’s below the steering wheel. At most I’ll glance down to look at the LEDs on the gauge. So your OCD rest easy I’ll fix it next time I’m in there. So your OCD rest easy I’ll fix it next time I’m in there

I knew SOMEBODY would post that. I guess this time, you're THAT guy!

FZJ............
80.......somebody had to say it. :cheers:

Last edited:
What did this end up setting you back? This is the next mod I’m looking at for my 94. I’ve been in many situations where I came close to running out of fuel and doubling the capacity would solve the biggest downside of the FZJ-80.

I looked into it recently, $2.1k and they're backordered for 4 months. 🤷‍♂️

$2,100 to get 50 miles further down the road to get gas thats $0.30 per gallon cheaper? Thats one hell of a payback period.

Don't get me wrong I'd love an extended fuel tank option, but my love starts to get lost above the $600 mark.

$2,100 to get 50 miles further down the road to get gas thats $0.30 per gallon cheaper? Thats one hell of a payback period.

Don't get me wrong I'd love an extended fuel tank option, but my love starts to get lost above the $600 mark.
50 miles? You getting 2 mpg?

50 miles? You getting 2 mpg?

That’s not the point. The op stated that he can skip more expensive stations to get to cheaper gas. That might be 10 miles, 50 miles or 1000 miles away. Who cares in the US you can typically plan your trips around filling stations. Not saying it’s great hell I want to get away from it I applaud the OP for doing this.

I am very interested in a long range fuel tank but for 2k + that’s not worth it to me. Unless I’m planning a trip from Western Australia to Sydney it’s unrealistic. Or if I have thousands of dollars just burning holes in my pockets, if that was the case I guess I’d pop for it.

That’s not the point. The op stated that he can skip more expensive stations to get to cheaper gas. That might be 10 miles, 50 miles or 1000 miles away. Who cares in the US you can typically plan your trips around filling stations. Not saying it’s great hell I want to get away from it.

I am very interested in a long range fuel tank but for 2k + that’s completely unrealistic. Unless I’m planning a trip from Western Australia to Sydney it’s unrealistic.
Ah, yes I get what you mean now. That price tag turns me off of it as well.

I looked at cheaper options like the S10 gas tank or finding an OEM sub tank on Austalian ebay, or even building my own.

S10 tank wasn’t that big at 15 gallons I think. Plus it hung down quite a bit.

Tough to convince Australian wreckers to ship an OEM subtank over here, and it’s only 15 gallons.

Building my own would have taken too long and between the kids and work, I’m seriously short on time these days.

Cost is exorbitant for what it is, but its cheaper than a diesel swap, which was my other option for extending the range. I calculated that to recoup a diesel swap cost, it would take 10 years.

No I’m not planning on paying for this with the 20 cents I may save on gas in bigger towns. With the added weight impact on the mileage, its probably close to even, but I don’t care as it makes me happier with the vehicle, until I can afford an LS or diesel swap.

My 24 gallon shipped immediately. The 38 gallon was in stock as well, but the 42 gallon was back ordered a few months.
It was shipped freight to a local pick up freight yard. It was very well packaged on a pallet.

$1895 retail minus $100 healthcare worker discount plus $200 shipping. About the same as a rear bumper with swingouts.

Last edited:
I'd love to add something like this also to help the range but the price does seems steep for what you get (I think). I do love the not waking the kid ability! Does the price included everything to install and use? Pump, hoses, filler neck, etc? Does it vent through he existing charcoal cannister? It seems like with a bit of research a kit could be figured out with a universal fit tank but may end up costing about the same.

Comes with absolutely everything you need, which is why I bit the $2k bullet and bought it.

4 nato Jerry cans - $10ea and some left over sandpaper and a few $5 cans o rattle can paint later.....$50 gets 24 gallons and to pull over and drop a fresh 22 gallons in. Bonus is its modular and i dont need to carry em around when not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom