FZJ80 + HJ61= ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the angle cut so you can clear the holes in the frame while also clearing the inner brace?

I did not end up using an inner brace since the fish plates were overkill. The angle cut helps with the strength and was a little easier to line up (in theory of course..). If I did it over again I would shorten behind the lower control arm mount, looks cleaner and watching @ryaneddy16 line his up confirmed that it is easier.

I did not end up using an inner brace since the fish plates were overkill. The angle cut helps with the strength and was a little easier to line up (in theory of course..). If I did it over again I would shorten behind the lower control arm mount, looks cleaner and watching @ryaneddy16 line his up confirmed that it is easier.

That is right, you said that when we met up a few weeks back!

Done with "phase 2" of the build aka the heavy lifting. Now it's time to get back to Lubbock and finish this monster in my little 1.5 car garage...
He already knows that I am really grateful, but I have to give a shout out to my dad @CenTXFJ60 for letting me use the lift, make a mess of the tools, and in his eyes make the shop look like a tornado blew through lol. All in the name of getting s**t done!!

I have to say, the 12ht was meant to be between these frame rails, fit is perfect, and I still have enough room in the back for my black box doubler. Steering shaft lined up perfectly (needs to be extended). I moved the whole drivetrain foreword about an 1.5" compared to stock for the doubler clearance and so that my oil drain plug wasn't on top of the front sway bar which would have proved to be a pain in the ass during oil changes..

Very pleased with how it's all panning out, updates will be slower with school taking priority, but it'll be ready for summer adventures!
View attachment 1383756 View attachment 1383757 View attachment 1383758

Super cool shop!
And nice placement - did the engine mounts line up from the factory? Not sure if 80s ever had 12HT power...
Are you standing on your intake in that last pic?!?

This winter it’s going to happen! Might step back up to 37s since I don’t have to drive 1000+ miles to hit a trail.. can’t decide. And fix my lockers, rebuild the 12ht, more boost, etc... never ends

Rebuild the 12HT?!? How many miles/kms on there?

Super cool shop!
And nice placement - did the engine mounts line up from the factory? Not sure if 80s ever had 12HT power...
Are you standing on your intake in that last pic?!?

The 12h wasn't an option for the 80s, they had the 1HD or 1HZ engines. The 12H was only offered for a few years in the 60 platform overseas and came about kind of like the 2F transformed into the 3FE but in the diesel world it was an upgrade from the anemic 2H which did not have a turbo...

Holy cow! How many hours does it take to separate the body from the frame?
I guess if you don't have the fuel tank hooked up that makes things go faster.
Good thing you have a shop kitty to supervise!

With a sawzall, 1/2" impact and a case of beer and the frame is exposed when the beer runs out...
Rebuild the 12HT?!? How many miles/kms on there?

I think it is well into the 300KM range, when I did the headgasket a few months back a couple of the cylinders had some decent scoring, but I decided to slap it together to make it to the solid axle summit.. I think most of my oil loss is in the turbo but when it is cold out and I fire it up you can tell that it is running on 4 cylinders strong and it takes the other 2 a few minutes to seal the rings and make proper compression..

Oh I think he wants you to wrench! :)

Hah yah I realized who it was after I posted that. Finally got the CJ2 fired up so I can get that hunk of junk out of my bay and get Shawns rig in. Found the perfect turbo to get the isuzu spooling. The garrett 2259 is not made anymore but the 2252 seems to be the perfect match. Really looking foreword to wrenching on a cruiser again at work. Bring the 55 by, I want to check it out!

this is super cool i would love to do something like this!!! its a matter of where to find a nice 60 series shell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom