FZJ73 Questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, new to the forum, been looking to buy a 73 series for a while now and finally found a nice one I have the option to buy. Its a 1996 FZJ73 with the 4.5, 220,000 km. Its in great shape overall, no rust, looks to be well maintained. I had it inspected and the shop found just a few things. One being, which I definitely noticed on the test drive, is the steering is very sloppy, lots of play in the steering wheel. My question is how hard will this be to fix and am I going to have a hard time finding parts in general for this LC? The only other issue is it did not want to start when cold. It had been sitting for over a week and took several minutes to start. Once it started it ran fine. Any advice or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4984.jpeg
New 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ73 Owner - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-1995-toyota-land-cruiser-fzj73-owner.1230275/

It seems like some recent FZJ73s have been imported from South America and there have been challenges from creative maintenance and modifications. You are on the right track in doing your research first. Good luck with this being a solid gem for you.

My only 2 cents.... If it is from central america, RUN away from it.

I may be biased but I don't think all Colombian (not Columbia) cruisers should be written off. (Former FJ73 Colombian spec owner here).

Well we've been in Colombia for over a month now. Had some work on our own KZJ78 done here (cosmetic and just some broken suspension). I have to say... The quality of the work here is just lower. A lot lower. I mean, they can definitely fix stuff, but for how long? What kind of corners are cut? I'm talking to another guy who had his Defender rebuilt here by the top shop in Bogota. Well, not fully rebuilt, but the top was rebuilt.

Anyways about 8 months later in Brazil it completely blew up. I've never even seen a torque wrench in Colombia since we've been here.

Awesome country but they aren't allowed to import anything over 1 year old into the country so the domestic land cruisers (fzj73) are very expensive here when in decent shape. So it would make me wonder why they would export one "cheap"...

Well we've been in Colombia for over a month now. Had some work on our own KZJ78 done here (cosmetic and just some broken suspension). I have to say... The quality of the work here is just lower. A lot lower. I mean, they can definitely fix stuff, but for how long? What kind of corners are cut? I'm talking to another guy who had his Defender rebuilt here by the top shop in Bogota. Well, not fully rebuilt, but the top was rebuilt.

Anyways about 8 months later in Brazil it completely blew up. I've never even seen a torque wrench in Colombia since we've been here.

Awesome country but they aren't allowed to import anything over 1 year old into the country so the domestic land cruisers (fzj73) are very expensive here when in decent shape. So it would make me wonder why they would export one "cheap"...

Ah and the FZJ73 is known as the Machito here

Last edited:
Hey everyone, new to the forum, been looking to buy a 73 series for a while now and finally found a nice one I have the option to buy. Its a 1996 FZJ73 with the 4.5, 220,000 km. Its in great shape overall, no rust, looks to be well maintained. I had it inspected and the shop found just a few things. One being, which I definitely noticed on the test drive, is the steering is very sloppy, lots of play in the steering wheel. My question is how hard will this be to fix and am I going to have a hard time finding parts in general for this LC? The only other issue is it did not want to start when cold. It had been sitting for over a week and took several minutes to start. Once it started it ran fine. Any advice or info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

does the shop specialize in older Land Cruisers? If not, contact Trollhole's in Greenville and pay to have it inspected in-person before the purchase. It will be worthwhile whether you purchase or not. (Assuming the truck is in Charleston per your location Zip code)

The fact that a 4.5 is hard to start tells me enough.... My central american 75 series 4.5 had full oversize pistons and when I pulled the block, none of the piston holes were drilled correctly. My point is no inspection will tell you what crap work is inside the engine, transmission, axles or behind that shiny paint job.

You wanted opinions.... you have them now, but I would tell you to look at who is answering your question, some of the most experienced folks here.

Run faster

Hello,

x2.

Colombia spec 73 Series are either older models from Japan or locally assembled units from CKDs. Both have lived very hard lives.

Colombia assembled FZJ73s from 1995 to 2004. After 1995, 73 Series imports ceased for that market. A few Japanese FZJ73 made it to South America before 1995.

1996 model year indicates the truck is a locally assembled FZJ73.

Local components in Colombia spec FZJ73s include the FRP top (made by FIVRES or CABINOR,) the rear axle (a Dana 60 from Venezuela) and glass, among other things.

Parts for the rear axle are either expensive or discontinued. The only source is usually the local Toyota dealer, and by local, I mean the Colombian one.

These trucks are very prone to rust. I did not believe this until I saw it firsthand. The FRP top cracks in old age.

As you may already know by now, down there, labor is way cheaper than parts, and creative mechanics abound. So do cheap owners that prefer these guys to the dealer's shop.

The vague steering suggests the need for major work, namely tie rod ends, knuckles and linkage. Chances are rotors, bearings and seals are in need of replacement. And it is possible that the rear axle is about to give up the ghost as well.

Cold start issues suggest the need for a proper tune up and a compression check at the very least.

It is highly likely that there are a lot of issues lurking under the skin.

A good shop is helpful but parts availability may be a problem, especially for the rear axle.

I would look for another truck. I would book a flight to South America to look for a truck in decent shape personally.

Juan

Let us know what you decide and post some pics of the rig !!

The vague steering suggests the need for major work, namely tie rod ends, knuckles and linkage. Chances are rotors, bearings and seals are in need of replacement. And it is possible that the rear axle is about to give up the ghost as well.

Juan
Just out of curiosity - what's the connection of rear axle with vague steering?
I'm wondering if my truck could be described as having the same issue of vague steering, I'm not sure. It happens that I recently replaced all tie rods, knuckle and hub bearings and I didn't notice any change in respect of steering quality. I thought this kind of steering normal for 33" tires and solid front axle. One thing to note is that currently I don't have front stabilizer installed.

Just out of curiosity - what's the connection of rear axle with vague steering?
I'm wondering if my truck could be described as having the same issue of vague steering, I'm not sure. It happens that I recently replaced all tie rods, knuckle and hub bearings and I didn't notice any change in respect of steering quality. I thought this kind of steering normal for 33" tires and solid front axle. One thing to note is that currently I don't have front stabilizer installed.

Hello,

It is not a connection but wear and tear -or should we say abuse- showing their effects.

Vague steering suggests the front axle needs repair: tie rod ends, knuckles, seals and whatnot. Usually, the rear axle is in need of repair as well. Time and a hard life take their toll. My argument is that if the front axle needs work, so does the rear axle. Vague steering can be a symptom of something more, a rabbit hole if you will.

33 in. tires, as long as they are skinny, do not affect steering much when compared to stock tires. Wide 33 in. tires affect steering, rub on the frame and eat up tie rods, seals and bearings. They eat up rear axle components as well.

Juan

Land Cruisers are pretty robust and IMHO can easily handle 33" tall tires !!
If you did all that work with no change I would look at you caster numbers especially if you have a Lift to accommodate those 33" tires
And get the stabilizer back on ;)

@JuanJ and @Broski thanks for your answers!
I'm planning to install the stabilizer back, that's sure. I just had to fabricate stabilizer link extensions for the 2" lift I also have. My tires are 10.5", so I assume their width should not be a problem?
Maybe it's just my lack of experience with trucks that makes me feel steering could/should be better, by comparison to "normal" cars. I should get someone around to verify it, I guess.

Yeah you can’t compare our 60’s technology steering with today’s cars🤣. That being said they usually can still be pretty good in that they don’t wander(much🤣) and track straight. If you have a 2” lift and it still feels off, then installing caster(?) correction shims( smallest size) will usually put that angle back close to original and solve a issue. If you have replaced all the links and done a hub rebuild and castor correction and it’s still sloppy or whatever then the bearings in the top and bottom of the knuckles are probably shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom