FRP Top Removal Difficulties 1997 FZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ilmmct

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello I’ve read all the threads on the FRP Top removal and have gotten into the process enough to start scratching my head and wondering if my 1997 Colombian FZJ73 (Fives manufactured top) is secured differently than the JDM and European spec information and trucks that I’ve been using as my guide, including:

1 - A Service Manual except provided by @cruiserpilot in a prior FRP thread.

2 - A Youtube video provided by AVL JDM IMPORTS …

On my truck I’ve removed the Name Plates from both sides and there is no access hole for a bolt that is found in the JDM 73 (referred to as Bolt F in the Service Manual):

My truck:

IMG_6599.jpeg

JDM Example:

IMG_6589.png

On my Roll Bar there are only 2 removable rectangular plugs and there are no accessible bolts under the plug. The 2 round insets on my Roll Bar are not removable like the JDM example:

My Truck:

IMG_6578.jpeg

JDM Example:

IMG_6590.jpeg

Bolts removed so far:

FRP Top Removal Difficulties.jpeg

I don’t see any other bolts that would free the Top from the roll bar or quarter panel. It is still gripped tight. I am going to hit the seam with some safe silicon lubricant over night to help loosen 25 years of stuck-ness. But based on some pretty strenuous attempts to separate the top from the body … I suspect come connecting points on the Colombian FZJ73 are “different” than the Service Manual and JDM examples I’m following.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting. Looks like a CKD cruiser.

That middle hoop is from a soft top spec 73 which is why it doesn’t have the proper cutouts. There might not be any bolts from that hoop.

Can you see any sealant on the rear side body/top sections?

If you pulled the bolts on the front, and along the rear sides, you should be able move that top a little.

Can you slightly pull out on the B piller right after the front window?

Hi
Definitely not a usual JDM or European spec FRP top.
I once heard somwhere here on mud that the South American LCs used tops produced domestically. Well, apparent wisdom but doesn't help much.
Try to work from a rear corner along one side. Once the corner bracket (if there is one) and the side bolts are removed you should be able to lift it a bit and see where the next fastener would be.
Inspecting the underside of the upper edge of the side panel from inside, with s mirror or camera, might also help.
I wouldn't expect the top to be fastened to the top of the hoop. My European spec top is not.
If it is not fastened to the B pillar from outside (behind the emblem), it might be from the inside? Is there any trim on the B pillar to remove and look behind?
Good Luck Ralf

If it's an FZJ73-MRU it was originally built as a soft-top. If it's an FZJ73LV-MNU it was a factory-built FRP.

Does the hood have windshield rest blocks?

Hello,

I will repeat the obvious here. Colombia spec FZJ73s were soft top models assembled from CKD kits and local components. It was cheaper to assemble soft top models than FRP top ones, but that is another story.

Colombian FRP tops are a local product, that at first look resembles the ones made in Japan. But there are differences.

The FRP top FZJ73 has 14 captive nuts to bolt on to the body, plus a screw-on seal on the upper windshield; two bolts are under the FRP TOP badges. The soft top has bolts on the rear squares, two or four if I remember correctly. There is no screw-on seal nor FRP TOP badge bolts.

The FRP top FZJ73 has a roll bar that aligns with the top's captive nuts on its upper part, and a plastic cover. The soft top FZJ73 has one square hole only, and no cover.

The soft top FZJ73 has a groove in the upper windshield frame to slide in the top. There are five fasteners in the frames above the front doors, as well as two or four bolts, again if I remember correctly. Check these before attempting to move the top.

This is a layout from the FSM.

Note the differences with the diagrams you have.

1701900007541.png

1701900053926.png

This is for reference.

1701900145337.png

This is a section view from the windshield.

1701900222680.png

Colombian FRP tops are prone to crack. Be careful when you handle it.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Last edited:
If it's an FZJ73-MRU it was originally built as a soft-top. If it's an FZJ73LV-MNU it was a factory-built FRP.

Does the hood have windshield rest blocks?
814064AB-2D51-47FE-B81E-57EF07953F52.jpeg

@cruiserdan, thanks for your reply, this is the Complectation for my truck which does not have windshield rest blocks.

Hello,

I will repeat the obvious here. Colombia spec FZJ73s were soft top models assembled from CKD kits and local components. It was cheaper to assemble soft top models than FRP top ones, but that is another story.

Colombian FRP tops are a local product, that at first look resembles the ones made in Japan. But there are differences.

The FRP top FZJ73 has 14 captive nuts to bolt on to the body, plus a screw-on seal on the upper windshield; two bolts are under the FRP TOP badges. The soft top has bolts on the rear squares, two or four if I remember correctly. There is no screw-on seal nor FRP TOP badge bolts.

The FRP top FZJ73 has a roll bar that aligns with the top's captive nuts on its upper part, and a plastic cover. The soft top FZJ73 has one square hole only, and no cover.

The soft top FZJ73 has a groove in the upper windshield frame to slide in the top. There are five fasteners in the frames above the front doors, as well as two or four bolts, again if I remember correctly. Check these before attempting to move the top.

This is a layout from the FSM.

Note the differences with the diagrams you have.

View attachment 3500333

View attachment 3500335
This is for reference.

View attachment 3500336

This is a section view from the windshield.

View attachment 3500345

Colombian FRP tops are prone to crack. Be careful when you handle it.

Hope this helps.

Juan
Juan,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will be back at the FRP removal over the weekend and will report my progress. Your reply and illustrations are greatly appreciated!

Mitch

Hi
Definitely not a usual JDM or European spec FRP top.
I once heard somwhere here on mud that the South American LCs used tops produced domestically. Well, apparent wisdom but doesn't help much.
Try to work from a rear corner along one side. Once the corner bracket (if there is one) and the side bolts are removed you should be able to lift it a bit and see where the next fastener would be.
Inspecting the underside of the upper edge of the side panel from inside, with s mirror or camera, might also help.
I wouldn't expect the top to be fastened to the top of the hoop. My European spec top is not.
If it is not fastened to the B pillar from outside (behind the emblem), it might be from the inside? Is there any trim on the B pillar to remove and look behind?
Good Luck Ralf

Interesting. Looks like a CKD cruiser.

That middle hoop is from a soft top spec 73 which is why it doesn’t have the proper cutouts. There might not be any bolts from that hoop.

Can you see any sealant on the rear side body/top sections?

If you pulled the bolts on the front, and along the rear sides, you should be able move that top a little.

Can you slightly pull out on the B piller right after the front window?
@FJBen the member replies confirm the truck’s soft top configuration. I removed the front and side bolts
… no movement or sealant discovered thus far. @JuanJ has given me illustrations and insight on the different attachment points for this configuration. Thanks.

@JuanJ I got a few minutes to explore some of the details from your reply. Assuming that I have a Soft Top assembled from the CKD kit … “There are five fasteners in the frames above the front doors, as well as two or four bolts”. To access these, I need to remove this frame cover piece (which looks to be connected with 3 bolts) … does that make sense?

D96AAA01-D9EE-4BC7-9DC7-B81BEBB07BF2.jpeg
D458362A-179E-4708-BF92-DBA84748503B.jpeg

6FD692F4-0B60-4889-A37C-FFC1509053BC.jpeg

DD4EA975-620F-42A0-906D-6B2125A6A1CB.jpeg

@JuanJ I got a few minutes to explore some of the details from your reply. Assuming that I have a Soft Top assembled from the CKD kit … “There are five fasteners in the frames above the front doors, as well as two or four bolts”. To access these, I need to remove this frame cover piece (which looks to be connected with 3 bolts) … does that make sense?

View attachment 3500753View attachment 3500755

View attachment 3500756

View attachment 3500757
There should be a top bolt going down at that windshield section/ door frames. You can’t reach that unless the top is off. I’d be interested to see how that goes.

View attachment 3500431

@cruiserdan, thanks for your reply, this is the Complectation for my truck which does not have windshield rest blocks.

It should have had rest blocks on the hood. It's possible that being a CKD a standard hood was fitted originally, or the hood has been replaced. Based on the general usage South American vehicles are subject to, I suspect it's a replacement.

There should be a top bolt going down at that windshield section/ door frames. You can’t reach that unless the top is off. I’d be interested to see how that goes.
plot thickens … there is some movement/play at the windshield but due to the bolts/fasteners noted by @JuanJ at the door frame (and the hidden one under the FRP top per the reply by @FJBen) I am not sure how to progress.

I’ve inspected the underside (rear doors to the rollbar on both sides) and there are no other bolts to be removed. I see plenty of the mentioned “captive nuts” (see pic) but I assume they are not prohibiting the top’s removal since this is a soft top.

2B116655-2F1C-4FE0-AA64-D4CD8EDCD94F.jpeg

E913F29C-D1C6-42CE-86BB-9BA9837D2880.jpeg

That suggests that the hood is original. The catalog I have access to is not 100% accurate when it comes to CKDs.

@JuanJ I think that I’ve located one bolt on each “rear square” … is this the location you call the “rear square” it is located so close to an interior structural part/panel, that I can not get a socket w/an extension on to it.

Also per my earlier post (from today’s effort) … after removing 3 bolts from the frame (to reach the fasteners and bolts you noted) that are located above the front door … this part may have a bolt attachment located under the FRP Top, since it’s not coming off either.

D65BEF6E-D6FC-46A6-BFA4-CF76E848816C.jpeg

EE5AEBBF-CAA8-4630-98EE-C530A44A06BA.jpeg

@JuanJ I think that I’ve located one bolt on each “rear square” … is this the location you call the “rear square” it is located so close to an interior structural part/panel, that I can not get a socket w/an extension on to it.

Also per my earlier post (from today’s effort) … after removing 3 bolts from the frame (to reach the fasteners and bolts you noted) that are located above the front door … this part may have a bolt attachment located under the FRP Top, since it’s not coming off either.

View attachment 3500993

View attachment 3500994

Here’s a picture of the back. Green arrow is furthest back bolt hole and you can see the bracket

9E551C31-6FBD-402E-A915-AAAF6E7B9332.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom