FZ80 - rear frame rust - suggestions on how best to deal with this. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I lost my 88 to this rust issue. And now my 1996 is heading the same route. But this time i will not let the rust take my truck away. Is there info on how to deal with this? those 4 holes??? why did they do that? any sort of bolt on reinforcment plate i could install? this must happen to every northern vehicle? what are others doing about this?
IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1779.jpg
IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg

I would go find a place that sand blasts chassis and start there. Once you can see the extent of how deep the rust is either make repairs or find a good coating to get on it. There are many anti rust coatings and I think the brand matters less than the quality of application. It’s hard to judge the extent of damage by just looking at a picture.

Find someone getting a 4x4 labs bumper (if you aren’t in the market yourself) and grab their cutoff frame. Stitch in new.

the blast and prime route above is nice to see damage cleanly but at a minimum soak the rest of the undercarriage in fluid film. Some shops spray it for you as well.

Get with @slow95z and see if he has a replacement frame you could buy. Then blast it and coat it, then remove your body and install on the new frame.

You should have been doing Fluid Film or WoolWax for years before and it would have prevented that.

That's more than the 4x4 labs replaces. I can cut a section out and ship it to you if you want to go that route. Would be cheaper than you expect I am sure.

Hi, Can you galvanize a replacement frame ? Mike

Hi, Can you galvanize a replacement frame ? Mike
You could. However, the heat of hot dip galvanizing will tweak it out of square. Also, all sections must have drain holes in them to drain out the excess zinc compounds.

The frame would have to be sand blasted, then soaked in chemicals to degrease and "pickle" the steel to prep it for proper adherence of the zinc. Also, the bath is 850°F. That's what makes it tweak. Also, every threaded hole would have to be plugged with a bolt and coated to withstand the solution so that it would all go back together.

I would actually love to do it, but it would take a LOT of extra work to make it happen.

Much easier to blast and epoxy paint.

I lost my 88 to this rust issue. And now my 1996 is heading the same route. But this time i will not let the rust take my truck away. Is there info on how to deal with this? those 4 holes??? why did they do that? any sort of bolt on reinforcment plate i could install? this must happen to every northern vehicle? what are others doing about this?
And this is exactly why I spray the crap out of my truck with Fluid Film every October.
However, Fluid Film will not help you now that rust has taken hold. It will only slow it down a bit. As mentioned, you will need to access the extent of the damage and take appropriate action.
FWIW, one of our club members in south Jersey sprays FF professionally, but it's easily done in your driveway as well.

If the frame looks like that the body is sure to have issues as well. Time to move on

FWIW, one of our club members in south Jersey sprays FF professionally, but it's easily done in your driveway as well.
What's his mud handle? May be interested in getting that done, I've made the trip to Jersey for just cold cuts before, worth the drive every time.

From the look of it, you only have two real options. Entire frame swap or try to find clean metal at some point before the cross brace where you can cut and weld.

Like previously said though - it would be hard to believe, as bad as that is, that the body isn't rusty too. Especially the lower doors.

by the look of it it's "Gone Baby Gone". If you're still in the '90 style "truck". I would recommend try finding another 80 Series clean, no rust whatsoever; preferably a S or SW coast states (CA, AZ, NM and TX) and enjoy it... Just my 2C.

looking past the crossmember under...... you have a parts rig i think, I think you should consider selling it for parts to someone and get one ready for a fresh coating. I am not sure what you have is even safe at this point.

Throw it in the gutter and go buy another?....I'm hearing y'all but you guys just want my parts!!! I'll rebuild her, bigger, better, stronger! body is tight! Engine strong. A 96 with 108K. cmon. She's just got a rough spot here and needs some creative love. Gonna buy some C channels and start fabricating a new bumper and weld it onto some good metal. Where I can find good metal....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom