Future of LSLC Austin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Either Jeff would work. I was thinking @warpdriv , due to the fact he is also a mod here on the clubhouse, past president, and just a hell of nice guy. :flipoff2:

Thank you Edwin & Jason for your leadership...

I have not been to the meetings lately due to work & distance, but look forward to getting back to attending. I agree with Mark's comments below. Everyone has also brought up some really good points. The use of this forum has been the main source of information and cruiser help for us. But I think FB, in conjunction with IH8MUD, will also help bring some more cruiserheads. My boys and I have also had the privilege to meet some great guys and gals through this club and had fun times at Rudy's, Roundup, wrench days at Edwin's shop, Cruisers & Coffee at Zingers, Christmas parties at MMW's house, couple of trips to Hidden Falls, etc., etc.

Looking forward to see where the club goes and I also support AJ for prez, MMW for VP and Dave for troublemaker.

I don't feel we are on life support, we are active in many ways, here on ih8mud, coffee and cars, a people do show up to meetings. We are not the club we were 10+ years ago when it was started.

I feel it's like old friends, you might not come to a meetings in years, but when you do it like we talked yesterday.

I've been a part of this club for 10+ years, I just don't remember it being this "formal " to be a part of the LSLC regional big sister chapter.
Can you expand on this? If we decide not to be a part of them, do we change our name? Is there a formal agreement to be part of LSLC.

Iam willing to step up and help, and nominate AJ to help as well.

Hey- I like the idea of central and weekend meet ups, bought another 60 this week and driving it has me all pumped! Wish I could get north on weekdays, unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work. The fb page seems good idea. Tim

As a newcomer to most of this stuff, I have a few thoughts to add:
  • I don't use facebook (a lot of younger folks are also starting to step away from it) and I don't check mud very often, so I didn't even know there was a meet-up. I have 2 neighbors, 2 colleagues AND 2 friends that also drive FJ60/62s, don't know about the club, and would be stoked to meet folks with LCs. Perhaps the group could do some real life outbound "marketing" to get folks with LCs aware of the club and drum up interest in a non-digital way, like by putting flyers on trucks when you see them around town, and at the minimum, bring good cheer by smiling and waving when you see a fellow LC driver.
  • I'd echo previous posts about meetup locations - Rudy's is impossible to get to on a weeknight. A rotating location might be a good compromise, hitting different neighborhoods in the area to build inclusivity around town. Or if I voted, I'd ask for central meetups on weekends.
  • If you guys want to build a club that supports new life and new ideas, you're gonna have to let things go. Just reading this thread one gets a sense of drama and bad blood - and who wants to be a part of that? To paraphrase the Airheads, "appreciate function over form, fact over fiction, and friendship over friction".
I look forward to everything ya'll do in the future and I hope can be a positive part of it. Keep us posted.

Hey all,

Just going to introduce myself. I don't actually own a LC at the moment, (never have), but recently have got the "go-ahead" from the wife to allow this to become my baby. So I have been browsing and trying to learn as much as possible as well as get the feel for pricing/what I am looking for/etc. I live in Austin, and came across this club and just wanted to say, I will be interested for sure in this club. I don't have a ton of experience in vehicles, but, the only way to fix that is to commit to learning. This club would be such a great way to learn from all of you, so I am rooting for the club to continue. Wish you guys well.

Howdy everyone! Does the Facebook profile you're speaking of already exist or is it something you're talking about creating?

-Bobby

If we could meet in different locations across town, make it a weekend date that appeals to the majority and at locations that offer other social interest to members and families, we'd get more traction. There's rigs all over town with mystery owners we don't know that are potential interested parties, we just need to to be seen (talking trucks) to grow our ranks
@jmdaniel I like Kelly and Pat's suggestions regarding a weekend meet instead of weekday. Also agree with Jeff's opinion regarding Rudys. Tuesday night may have worked back when Austin was smaller and traffic wasn't as bad, but as we all know it takes an hour or more to get anywhere in this town during weekday peak travel times.
Most people can't even remember our Rudy's meetings unless someone remembers to post up a "meeting tonight" on ih8mud.

I missed the last monthly meeting and hadn't visited MUD since this conversation began. @mmw68 I often forget about the monthly meeting unless its posted here, and even then , I still forget. I would support a monthly location meeting rotation, but there needs to be buy in on all our parts to support it. I agree with @Unoman regarding travel Austin afternoon times and think that moving the location, centralizing it, or changing the day it occurs would give us better turnout. @77mustard40 to many people here, I am one of those mystery cruisers you see around town! and would love to meet the other folks in Austin that a) dont come to Rudy's b) I havent met at edwins shop c) dont wheel their cruisers d) havent traded/ bought/ sold parts with.

Complete side note regarding dues: to cover any costs with having our name associated with the parent org we can mock up a calendar with all our rigs and sell them like coolcruisers .com but with a sexy AJ @aljollano garage picture on the cover- haha

Hey All! What I think...

#1. I vote for the Facebook page, because to me it's easier than getting on MUD and I forget to check it. FB would be easier to post meetings, events, hang outs, etc.

#2. I agree with mmw68 (sorry forgot your name :)). No dues, no officers, just informal. I don't really think it matters that we be associated with TLCA unless it affects going to one of their events? Unsure?

#3. I feel that the monthly meetings are fine, but do think that we should shake it up at least every month and meeting a different places, north and south. Rudy's is getting kinda old to be honest.

#4. Also I think someone talked about how a lot of us are interested in more than going on runs. Trips to K2, Hidden Falls, etc are great, don't get me wrong. But I personally enjoy meeting up just as much and getting to see everyone's rides and talking about them. Also, going to any shows to show off our Cruisers sounds cool! The more Land Cruisers, the better!

I update the Facebook page with info on the Tuesday meeting.

I encourage any on to use it to post, and coordinate other meetings. I'll be keeping up with the Monthly Rudy's meeting, and coffee and cars at the oasis. If other people can take the lead on other meetings, that would be great. Post it here as well. - Mark

Last edited:
Hello all,

Not a member of LSLC Austin but I have met and know most of the main commenters on this thread feed.
IMHO I offer up the following points(yes I know, some of them have been mentioned).
1. Just in case anyone is asking - why am I not a member? I'm out of the country half the year and didn't
try all that hard to find out where the meetings were being held.
2. I want to be a member/participant of an informal or formal LSLC Austin club.
3. I agree FB(love/hate it personally) is one of the best social mediums for getting the word out on planned
meetings and informal gatherings and keeping folk in the know.
4. The meeting locations should be moved around to make it easier on all folks to attend. No one is going
to attend every meeting but you would get a great mix at each meeting by moving it around.
5. Plan two meetings during the calender year at events/outings or schedule them to take place at an event/outing.
6. Head out West of town!!! I'm more than happy to host a meeting or two a year at my hangar/shop out
at Spicewood airport.
a. It's private so no need to ask anyone's permission(Spicewood Airport is a private facility not county owned).
b. We can BBQ right on the spot or have it catered from Opie's BBQ in Spicewood(THE BEST!).
c. Plenty of parking area!
d. May be an 45min drive out of town but not 45min in traffic and it's a pretty drive.
e. And you can bring your dog!
7. There are a lot of folks out there with great LC that have no idea LSLC Austin is even a thing and if they do
how to get involved. So yes to the idea of having an active grass roots effort to get the word out by putting
those flyers/cards on windshields with club info.

Well that's all I have. See a couple of you folks when I get back to ATX. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
to all.

Cheers
Arch
512-800-8869

Hello all,

Not a member of LSLC Austin but I have met and know most of the main commenters on this thread feed.
IMHO I offer up the following points(yes I know, some of them have been mentioned).
1. Just in case anyone is asking - why am I not a member? I'm out of the country half the year and didn't
try all that hard to find out where the meetings were being held.
2. I want to be a member/participant of an informal or formal LSLC Austin club.
3. I agree FB(love/hate it personally) is one of the best social mediums for getting the word out on planned
meetings and informal gatherings and keeping folk in the know.
4. The meeting locations should be moved around to make it easier on all folks to attend. No one is going
to attend every meeting but you would get a great mix at each meeting by moving it around.
5. Plan two meetings during the calender year at events/outings or schedule them to take place at an event/outing.
6. Head out West of town!!! I'm more than happy to host a meeting or two a year at my hangar/shop out
at Spicewood airport.
a. It's private so no need to ask anyone's permission(Spicewood Airport is a private facility not county owned).
b. We can BBQ right on the spot or have it catered from Opie's BBQ in Spicewood(THE BEST!).
c. Plenty of parking area!
d. May be an 45min drive out of town but not 45min in traffic and it's a pretty drive.
e. And you can bring your dog!
7. There are a lot of folks out there with great LC that have no idea LSLC Austin is even a thing and if they do
how to get involved. So yes to the idea of having an active grass roots effort to get the word out by putting
those flyers/cards on windshields with club info.

Well that's all I have. See a couple of you folks when I get back to ATX. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
to all.

Cheers
Arch
512-800-8869
I like your point of a 45 minute drive without sitting in traffic. I live southwest near dripping springs and would love a meet and greet for folks living out west.

I'm not active enough to have much to add to the thread other than.. Shout out to Opies. Amazing.

I like your point of a 45 minute drive without sitting in traffic. I live southwest near dripping springs and would love a meet and greet for folks living out west.

Do you have a favorite breakfast taco joint out west? I'm up for a Saturday or Sunday morning drive since I can't always make the Rudy's meeting.

-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom