Future Land Cruiser directions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would love to see a combination of diesel and electric motors powering the new LC. Plus long range tanks, 35” wheels , adjustable suspension , front bumper winch and triple locked drive terrain with a price not exceeding $65k.

Has hell frozen over? I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!

As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point.

This would be cool, though I hope it doesn't mean they abandon improvements to the 200-series platform when launching the 300 and sell the Land Cruiser as a 150-series (Lexus GX/LC Prado) variant instead.

The next-gen LX is slated to come out sometime in 2022 and will be more along the lines of a Bentley Bentayga rather than a luxed-up Land Cruiser.

This^. At $100k, the LX should absolutely be the luxury version. Toyota for too long as kept the LC/LX pair too close, like the Ford Expedition vs Lincoln Navigator.

/\ I agree. Sounds like the next LC will be signifcantly less than $90k and the LX may go over $100k? Would be a smart move, further differentiating the LC from the LX.

I know that i may be in the minority...but IF above is true, then i am 101% glad that i got LC200. I love the LC because it is luxurious (quiet, great ride even with KO2, nice leather and audio system), has the legendary nameplate, off-road capable, and legendary build quality / durability......and rarely seen on the streets. It is rare to see another LC. Plenty of LX and GX and 4runners.

The new LC300/LX looks like it will force customers to pick either capability or luxury, not both. The LX next gen will have capability i am sure, but it looks like Lexus will continue with its body spoilers galore trend. The LC300 will be more rudimentary, based on tundra, and will be more bare bones...like Sequoia / 4runner trim? With the cheap plastics and hollow panels?? Will you see one at every corner?

I hope that i am wrong or right...can’t make up my mind....

Not sure if this brings the value of my ‘13 up or down. Ha.

Just excited to see something, anything, on a new LC

If I wanted pure capability I probably would have bought a Jeep (I know, shoot me) or a Taco. But I want as many *reliable* creature comforts as I can reasonably get.

The way I travel now is much less a question of ‘what do I really need’ and more of ‘what do I need to get there and be comfortable to the destination, at the destination, and back’.

I know that i may be in the minority...but IF above is true, then i am 101% glad that i got LC200. I love the LC because it is luxurious (quiet, great ride even with KO2, nice leather and audio system), has the legendary nameplate, off-road capable, and legendary build quality / durability......and rarely seen on the streets. It is rare to see another LC. Plenty of LX and GX and 4runners.

The new LC300/LX looks like it will force customers to pick either capability or luxury, not both. The LX next gen will have capability i am sure, but it looks like Lexus will continue with its body spoilers galore trend. The LC300 will be more rudimentary, based on tundra, and will be more bare bones...like Sequoia / 4runner trim? With the cheap plastics and hollow panels?? Will you see one at every corner?

I hope that i am wrong or right...can’t make up my mind....
I don’t want a stripped down land cruiser. I owned a fj cruiser it was loud, rough, unrefined, bouncy, seats just sucked... I loved it and hated it... I tried to go to a 4 runner limited pretty much the same thing but a little better...

nothing compares to a land cruiser... I don’t want a loud and noisy featureless offroader. I hope they do it like in other countries where they offer a base model and the top of the line model with all the features for both buyers.

my wife drives our 2018 LX570 I personally don’t love it... I just wanna make some more money to get myself a new 200 series land cruiser with a cool box cooled seats and radar cruise control. I will drive and enjoy it for years to come. When the 300 series comes out. I will say cool let them work out the bugs for 3 years and maybe I’ll trade in the Lx and buy one for my wife. I will continue driving my 200 and 100 series all over the damn place and enjoy it for another decade or so lol

If I wanted pure capability I probably would have bought a Jeep (I know, shoot me) or a Taco. But I want as many *reliable* creature comforts as I can reasonably get.

The way I travel now is much less a question of ‘what do I really need’ and more of ‘what do I need to get there and be comfortable to the destination, at the destination, and back’.

Jeeps are capable...
...right up until they break.

And...they break...a LOT.

No thanks.

Last edited:

A Sequoia is probably just as comfortable as a 200. So if the big cruiser is axed you still have options.

A Sequoia is probably just as comfortable as a 200. So if the big cruiser is axed you still have options.

Not a solid rear axle though...

Sounds to me like a slightly bigger FJ Cruiser, not sure I'm into that. Maybe looking to get back to a size/approach similar to the 80 Series, which I guess would be cool. Either way, capability, ride quality and reliability have to be significantly better than anything else on the market or the name plate won't mean a thing.

Jeeps are capable...
...rrrright up until they break.

No thanks.
Yeah - I've seen that second hand with many friends. The Gladiator has seemed o fix that issue though. And it finally has a realistic payload. Previous Jeeps, including the Rubicon, where way under built from stock. That's a big reason why I never bought one - I can drive a totally stock Land Cruiser, loaded up with gear, anywhere (short of rock crawling) directly from the dealer.

Too big for me and not as capable off-road.
Well nothing is perfect, even the 200, so their is always going to be some trade offs. If you don't want to go that big their is still the GX.
Jeeps are capable...
...rrrright up until they break.

No thanks.
Just had a JL in the shop with 20k miles with the 4 cylinder turbo. Had a severe oil leak and had a check engine light on already.

Well nothing is perfect, even the 200

47a99135634d887386a1a54fb20930a73ab4f270e1adf09e7f4738f2b7d73631.jpg

Well nothing is perfect, even the 200, so their is always going to be some trade offs. If you don't want to go that big their is still the GX.

I test drove the GX three times. I really disliked it. Visibility out the back is very poor, due to the thick D-pillars, the generally higher belt-line, and the very thick window surrounds on the rear window.

You either like the barn door or you hate it. I hate it.

The third-row seats in the GX fold "flat" into the floor. In reality, what Lexus did was to raise the rear floor about 5 inches. So when you open the rear door, you will see that the floor is about 5" above the sill of the rear door. This takes up a huge amount of cargo space. If you fold the 2nd and 3rd row of the GX, you get only 60 cu ft of cargo space. In contrast, for the LC you get 80 cu ft. The GX is the right size overall for me, if only it was available without the third row. But it isn't.

The 4Runner is the right size for me and it has 80 cu ft of cargo space (without a 3rd row), but the drivetrain on the 5th gen 4Runner is just horrid IMO. It is also a much less refined vehicle overall (I test drove a 2015 Limited trim several times). Also, you have a Hobson's choice of either accepting a part-time 4WD system and good off-road ability (TRD Off-Road trim) or get the Limited with the proper Torsen lockable center-diff (just like the LC), but have less off-road ability with poorer angles and those stupid 20" wheels. Sigh.

One thing that I hate about the GX is that the rear side panels are molded to fit flush with the folded third row. So it would look like crap if you pulled out the third row.

Finally, I found the drivers seats on the GX to be very uncomfortable. It felt like there was a hard rim around the outside edge of the seat bottom that dug into my thighs.

After test driving the GX 3 times, I test drove a used, 2-year-old LC. Within 10 minutes I knew that I liked the LC much, much better than the GX. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom