Builds Full Circle Reintroduction/Build - '92 FJ80 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always wondered if that was there now I know. Now I wonder since I dont have a sunroof if the wiring harness is up front for it so that I can install a map light but taking down the headliner on a 91 is no joke and not something I really want to get into.

I always wondered if that was there now I know. Now I wonder since I dont have a sunroof if the wiring harness is up front for it so that I can install a map light but taking down the headliner on a 91 is no joke and not something I really want to get into.
I have no way to confirm, but I would guess the harness for the sunroof controls/map light are tucked up in the roof cavity. It seems like Toyota just used a single, universal main harness for all of these trucks, even though there are plenty of terminal equipment/connection options...

The fabric headliner is kind of sketchy. Although the single solid headliner in the later trucks is sketchy, as well. However, after working on/with both styles, I would definitely prefer the solid headliner...

The truck sat outside in subzero temps and windchills down to -35 deg F for about 24 hours straight but fired right up and happily took me on a joyride all over town tonight. I didn't really know what to expect or how it would react... I mainly just wanted to run it and get some heat in everything before it sits through more of this insane weather...

IMG_2878.JPG

The truck sat outside in subzero temps and windchills down to -35 deg F for about 24 hours straight but fired right up and happily took me on a joyride all over town tonight. I didn't really know what to expect or how it would react... I mainly just wanted to run it and get some heat in everything before it sits through more of this insane weather...

View attachment 1368097
Not nearly as cold, but my 80 has been sitting for like 2 + weeks. Neglected. and high teens low twenties. I was sure it will give me some type of hassle starting. Nope fire right up. :cheers:

Nice work getting this one back in decent running shape. Have to agree with compliments on the color of yours, have the same body color here and love it.

Thx for the dome light details - I still haven't wired mine in (2+ year-old to-do-list item). I pulled out the rear tweeters and put in LEDs quite a while back, wired to the middle row dome light switch - serves the same purpose, extra light now from both those locations.

Just ordered new tires! General Grabber AT2 in 295/75-16 (34"-ish) flavor. They'll be mounted on five spoke 16x7 4Runner alloys that came as spares with the truck. FINALLY getting rid of the puny little 235/75-15 (29"-ish) that look so ridiculous with the 2" lift. Tires are due to be delivered on 12/30. I'll hopefully have them mounted by 12/31! :bounce:

I would have gone with 315s but I wasn't comfortable with mounting them on 7" wide rims, although many people do it. I (read: the wife) didn't want to spend the money or deal with the hassle of buying new/used OEM 8" wide wheels, so 295s it is. It's probably a good thing considering I'm dealing with the mighty 3FE and stock gearing, anyway.

I have the General Grabber AT2 tires on my DD pickup (Nissan Titan Pro4x) and I really like them. Performance/traction/noise/treadwear are all good. I also really like that they have the rim/bead protection in the sidewalls. Maybe that doesn't really do much, but I appreciate the theory. I used to swear by Duratracs and they had the same rim/bead protection...

Last edited:
Tires sneak peek!!! Soooooo much better than 29" tires....

I didn't notice the new wheels require shank style lug nuts. The old ones were tapered... I'll run to the parts store in the morning so I can get these mounted up!

IMG_2989.JPG

Rear transmission cooler lines replaced. Old ones we're looking pretty sketchy and I didn't trust them.

Very simple job, just a pain in the butt and a little messy...

Nice to be done with it!

Old and old vs. new..

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Proper photos with the new tires...

I also removed the stock spare tire carrier and trailer hitch receiver. Neither will be required for my needs. Amazingly, no broken bolts or broken captive nuts in the frame! Lots of PB Blaster and an impact wrench worked like a charm. I may screw around with cutting/flipping the trailer hitch receiver and fabricating it to come through the rear crossmember at some point down the road...

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

Pretty tight fit in the garage!

IMG_3008.JPG

Last edited:
Wow I actually like the 4Runner wheels on an 80! Looks great so far!

WOW...that looks great! Amazing transformation! Nice work.

WOW...that looks great! Amazing transformation! Nice work.
Thanks! It's amazing what just wheels/tires can do for a vehicle...

Here's a before/after....

2C44394B-8660-461B-82E3-B221D38A24B8.jpeg

Also, we got a couple inches of snow last night so I went out to take some snow photos with a real camera and screw around on some dirt roads and exercise low range and the CDL... I'll get the real photos posted after they're processed... It was friggin' cold!

IMG_3031.jpeg

A couple weeks ago I noticed some coolant drips from the hoses around the heater control valve. The hoses and clamps appeared to be original. My rear heater hard lines and hoses weren't in great shape and I always worried about them a bit. I'm not really concerned about having the convenience of the rear heater. The front heater has been sufficient even in the below zero weather we've had lately. So, today I bypassed and removed the rear heater and replaced the heater hoses in the engine bay. The HCV looked great, so I left it. It has likely been replaced at some point by the PO.

I used some aluminum backed insulating tape to cover the rear heater hole. I covered it on both sides...not sure how well it will hold up. Time will tell... I stole the idea from @NLXTACY / Wits End.

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

I got the sunroof all sealed up. I also sealed the windshield gasket around the glass. I used Dap roofing/flashing polyurethane sealant.

View attachment 1357862

Was that Dap sealant you used in a tube/caulk gun, or did you find a paintable version? I need to do this same repair. Is it holding up good so far?

It is funny (actually, not funny at all :() I stumbled on your thread looking for some information about installing a backup camera. I ended up checking it out for the FJ80 content - nice rig btw(I have a '91). No kidding, minutes later, I went back out to my truck, and noticed I have the same damn leak you did! We had some snow, and it was melting rapidly. Anyhow, my FJ80 was a really early US import that did not have a roof rack, fender flares, or a sunroof. But I think either the dealer or the first owner had an aftermarket sunroof installed 26+ years ago :doh:. It stopped functioning for some PO, and they had "sealed it up". I have no interest in getting it working again, I just want to seal it up better, so I figure I will go your route!

I'm sure you've said it prior, but I cannot find it! Are them 4Runner rims the new 20" rims? I want some 20" for my 91 on 35's. 15" rims look tiny!

Was that Dap sealant you used in a tube/caulk gun, or did you find a paintable version? I need to do this same repair. Is it holding up good so far?

It is funny (actually, not funny at all :() I stumbled on your thread looking for some information about installing a backup camera. I ended up checking it out for the FJ80 content - nice rig btw(I have a '91). No kidding, minutes later, I went back out to my truck, and noticed I have the same damn leak you did! We had some snow, and it was melting rapidly. Anyhow, my FJ80 was a really early US import that did not have a roof rack, fender flares, or a sunroof. But I think either the dealer or the first owner had an aftermarket sunroof installed 26+ years ago :doh:. It stopped functioning for some PO, and they had "sealed it up". I have no interest in getting it working again, I just want to seal it up better, so I figure I will go your route!
It was a standard caulking gun tube in the roofing section of my hardware store.

It's only been about 1.5 months since I sealed it up, but so far so good. It eliminated all the wind noise from the sunroof, which was a nice benefit although not the intent. We've had some snow and no leaks, but the real test will be this spring when we get some heavy rain to see how it holds up. From what I've read, though, this polyurethane is supposed to be the best stuff out there for this application. Silicone will attract dust, can get discolored, and can actually promote corrosion on metal. :meh:

It's not real pretty, but you can't see it unless you're like 7'-2". Ha!

IMG_3188.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom