Builds Full Circle Reintroduction/Build - '92 FJ80 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sure you've said it prior, but I cannot find it! Are them 4Runner rims the new 20" rims? I want some 20" for my 91 on 35's. 15" rims look tiny!
Negative. Mine are 16x7s from an early 2000s 4Runner. The wheels fit just fine without modification. However, I'm running 1.5" SpiderTrax wheel spacers so I can use the center caps. The caps won't clear the hub without the spacers.

It was a standard caulking gun tube in the roofing section of my hardware store.

It's only been about 1.5 months since I sealed it up, but so far so good. It eliminated all the wind noise from the sunroof, which was a nice benefit although not the intent. We've had some snow and no leaks, but the real test will be this spring when we get some heavy rain to see how it holds up. From what I've read, though, this polyurethane is supposed to be the best stuff out there for this application. Silicone will attract dust, can get discolored, and can actually promote corrosion on metal. :meh:

It's not real pretty, but you can't see it unless you're like 7'-2". Ha!

View attachment 1380797

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm going to give it a shot.

Another tedious job of fixing one of the PO's hack jobs is complete.

The wiring of the light bar, auxiliary fan, and aftermarket headlights was horrendous. I ripped it all out and started from scratch. I actually totally removed the auxiliary fan because it was a puller fan but mounted on the grille side of the radiator and AC condenser coil--so it actually fought against the mechanical fan. Brilliant work by the PO. :bang: Maybe someday I'll get a proper aux pusher fan if warranted.

I located the fuse and relay below the battery tray and fed all the wiring from there. I followed the main harness over the radiator support then paralleled the AC line along the driver's side fender. Nice, clean, and inconspicuous.

Before...

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

During...

IMG_3201.JPG

After...

IMG_3199.JPG

Do you have plans for dual battery set up? I have a plan together but not to much here about the 1992 set ups.

Do you have plans for dual battery set up? I have a plan together but not to much here about the 1992 set ups.
As of right now, no... Someday, maybe. But not anytime in the foreseeable future.

I wonder if we could use the 93-97 battery tray for the aux battery since it's on the driver's side? I believe people that do dual battery setups in 93-97 trucks commonly use the 91-92 battery tray on the passenger's side for their aux battery...

Got the OEM head light housings (thanks @firefight!) installed to replace the dumpy Euro Anzo units, PlastiDipped the grille and trim, 4300K 55W HID low beams with relay harness, and Wagner/Philips 9011 HIR high beams. Yes, I'm one of those sinners that runs HIDs in stock housings. With the beams adjusted I've checked out the oncoming glare and it's not too bad at all. Definitely not "dangerous"...

Now I just need to get the light bar PlastiDipped and recoat the bumper around the high lift jack points.

Before/after...

8F9775C6-8B4B-40D9-8FD7-BE9851B8C4B6.jpeg

IMG_3247.jpeg

I also replaced the front transmission cooler lines while I had all the lights out since they were so accessible. The trans cooler hard lines that pass through the radiator support were pretty corroded so I wire brushed them then coated them with Rust Reformer and black spray paint.

IMG_3232.jpeg

Dog approves of the LC...

IMG_3239.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, for posterity... Removed trailer hitch receiver and OEM spare tire carrier... There's so much room under there! Maybe I should add an aux fuel tank to help the range of the mighty 3FE... :hmm:

I added a couple OEM tow hooks (thanks @2fpower) back there to try to protect the bumper if I ever drag it...

Freakin' road grime/salt. She needs a bath...

IMG_3248.jpeg

I was able to spend a little time on the truck last night.

PlastiDipped the light bar, cleaned up the flaking powder coat and rust around the hi-lift jack points, coated with Rust Reformer, then coated with Rustoleum black appliance epoxy paint. The bumper will likely get coated in bedliner this summer when I do the rocker panels and door bottoms...

Here's a better before/after...

B6F579F8-C1DC-4758-AD14-8BCBD318566A.jpeg

No tech...just (cell phone) photos...

I've driven by Chimney Rock, a "famous" Nebraska landmark, about 17,000 times but never stopped to smell the roses... I was in the spirit today since I had the Land Cruiser so I hit some dirt roads to take a closer look...

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

LS1FJ40 gave me some pointers. I bought a battery tray out of a '96. It will take some special bracket work but it has been done.

Replaced the belts with Gates Green Stripe...

The Gates TR22534 power steering belt is a little too long, but multiple online parts stores specified that particular belt. It's 54" long and I have the idler and the power steering pump adjustments maxed out. It "works" but there's too much play in the belt for my liking and the power steering pressure hose seems to be stretched a bit. I'm going to order a TR22525 and see if that is short enough to get back into a comfortable level of adjustment. It's 53-1/8" long. The next step down is the TR22517 and it is 52-1/2" long.

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

As of right now, no... Someday, maybe. But not anytime in the foreseeable future.

I wonder if we could use the 93-97 battery tray for the aux battery since it's on the driver's side? I believe people that do dual battery setups in 93-97 trucks commonly use the 91-92 battery tray on the passenger's side for their aux battery...
I fitted my 96 battery tray in there this weekend. Thats all I was able to do. The holes even match up to existing holes. It's tight and the cutting was minimal around the radiator area. This has become my next big deal. It's already designed i just need to get the parts here.

I fitted my 96 battery tray in there this weekend. Thats all I was able to do. The holes even match up to existing holes. It's tight and the cutting was minimal around the radiator area. This has become my next big deal. It's already designed i just need to get the parts here.
Nice! Are you documenting the process? I'd be intrigued to see progress photos and the final product. Are any modifications required to the A/C dryer/piping?

Nice! Are you documenting the process? I'd be intrigued to see progress photos and the final product. Are any modifications required to the A/C dryer/piping?
Not yet. The dryer lines are a little tight along the fire wall so i think I will do a little notch for them in the battery tray. Everything Ive been able to find say the odyssey 1500 will fit in there so i need to do some measuring. I did find a picture on google that showed a dual battery in an FJ and it fit just fine. After you work through it an make a diagram its not that difficult. Once you get beyond the FJ80/FZJ80 thing the information on dual batteries is pretty much the same. Of course everyone has thier own way of doing it. I can share my diagram with you when I get back into it. I'm no electrician by any stretch but after some reading it pretty easy to get to where you want to go.

The new belt (Gates TR22525) fits much better than the TR22534. For posterity, replacement belts for a desmogged 3FE... They seem to be high quality and are very quiet. We'll see how long they last...

IMG_3607.jpg

Also, my (not so) helpful garage mates...

IMG_3611.jpg

Proof the 3FE isn't as slow as all those stuck up 1FZ-FE guys say it is!

IMG_3788.JPG

67 in a 60... Whoops. I thought it was a 65mph zone... Just got a warning.

Also, I screwed around on the Martin Bay beaches at Lake McConaughy near Ogallala, Nebraska for a little while this afternoon. I didn't get too crazy, but got in a little Land Cruiser exercise.

IMG_0041.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good :cool: 2 questions:

Do you know if that is the TJM 50mm progressive suspension on there? That's what I've got, but I haven't installed the front springs yet (still 850) and I'm trying to gauge how much stinkbug to expect.

Could you do me a favor and measure those 295's (side to side) with a measuring tape? I'm looking into 295's so I don't need a tire carrier (I'm thinking 255 spare *almost* the same diameter) but I've read the generals run small.

Looking good :cool: 2 questions:

Do you know if that is the TJM 50mm progressive suspension on there? That's what I've got, but I haven't installed the front springs yet (still 850) and I'm trying to gauge how much stinkbug to expect.

Could you do me a favor and measure those 295's (side to side) with a measuring tape? I'm looking into 295's so I don't need a tire carrier (I'm thinking 255 spare *almost* the same diameter) but I've read the generals run small.
Thanks!

Mine are just the TJM heavy duty 50mm springs (770FR80B and 770RR80B). I can't speak to the progressive springs, but the heavy duty ones definitely have some stinkbug. However, I don't mind it and I don't plan to correct it because when the cargo area is loaded it levels out pretty well. Right now I have no rear armor, no spare tire, no factory hitch, and no 3rd row seats. It's pretty much as light as possible in the back end, so when I add a spare tire and rear bumper it should minimize the stinkbug.

I can definitely take some measurements on the AT2s. Do you want tread width or overall width at the widest point (bulge)?

I meant diameter, but measure side-to-side rather than pavement-to-top so truck weight doesn't factor in... if that makes sense. Please and thank you!

I meant diameter, but measure side-to-side rather than pavement-to-top so truck weight doesn't factor in... if that makes sense. Please and thank you!
Ah, you got it. Will do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom