Fuel Filter Replacement - Complete (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. 1995 FZJ80. 170,500 miles.

I’m replacing my fuel filter on my own for the first time. I’ve done my research on Mud and have bookmarked several threads.

I have the FSM.

Decided to do this when I couldn’t find in my records when it was last done...and when I believe I just discovered my current fuel filter was made in China.

No idea why I don’t have an OEM fuel filter on the vehicle, as it’s only been serviced at Toyota shops. Granted, Toyota shops in Southern Africa and Latin America, but still...

So, I’d just like to verify that this is in fact the fuel filter...

8E4E626D-332F-417F-A55E-0F990BADFC8B.jpeg

This is part of one of the threads I’m looking at...

10D0FA49-AFCF-4DDD-A073-8AA6682CDD71.png

So, two things...

(1) is that photo indeed the fuel filter that says “China” on it (might not be able to see China in the photo, but it’s printed under the arrow)?

(2) any tips for a newbie doing this for the first time (I’ve of course read the FSM procedure, so I’m looking for helpful tips beyond that).

Thanks very much. I know it’s a newbie wrencher thing, so I appreciate the patience!

And be careful not to break your #2 knock sensor. Seriously, remove the knock sensor because you will break it. It’s right there and ready to be broken.

It’s not a horrible job. And definitely easier with notching the one side tab (it’ll be obvious why).

Oh, and don’t smoke! Or run a LP heater when doing it. You will spill gas...

It might seem obvious...but do NOT loosen the mounting bolts on the filter until you have first loosened the Union Bolts though the banjo fittings.

Also, guard against bending the ridged fuel line at the rear of the fuel filter. It will make lining up the union bolt difficult if you do.

Lastly, IF you don't have long, skinny, double jointed arms....get some extra crush washers, because you will be dropping some (as I did) and it seems they ALWAYS go to the nether-regions of the engine/transmission and NEVER hit the floor where you might find them.

fuel filter 80 series.png

Last edited:
I found it was easier with the front tire removed and the inner mud guards pushed up out of the way. As @flintknapper mentioned make sure to loosen the banjo fittings before the filter mounting bolts.

You'll likely spill a decent amount of fuel so plan accordingly in advance. Also don't throw fuel soaked rags into a closed trash can (I lay mine out to dry in the sun before disposal).

Removing the oil filter is a great idea! Where were you a year ago when I asked for pointers @inkpot!

Definitely remove the driver front tire. And if I remember correctly I then lowered the front end down to the ground almost so I could work my way back in there from my back.

And wear safety goggles.

These are all great tips. Thanks guys. Going to tackle this during the upcoming weekend if all goes as planned.

Reading the FSM now, but these tips are really paying off since the FSM obviously assumes mechanical knowledge and experience we don’t all have. Also reviewing my bookmarked threads.

I’m probably overthinking this, but with it being a first attempt I want all the tips I can get. Thanks again.

Anyone have a PN on the crush washers or gaskets? Do you have to replace or can you re-use?

Silly question as i have never attempted this either and about to do so. The amount of spillage, is there a way to reduce it ?

You can torque the banjos down using a wrench to hold the filter neck while using a ratcheting wrench to torque the banjos. I believe they are 19mm and 17mm.
Torque down the front banjo first with the filter off of the car. Then bolt the filter on and torque the rear banjo.

Silly question as i have never attempted this either and about to do so. The amount of spillage, is there a way to reduce it ?

I was told to release the pressure on the gas tank by loosening the gas cap. It wasn't as if I lost a gallon of gas, more like a couple of ounces. It doesn't spray out just kind of dribbled out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom