Front wiper motor alternative. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone successfulv replaced the front wiper motor with one from another vehicle?

My wiper motor sorta quit this morning. Nothing works but fast speed.

I searched and the toyota part is discontinued and there are no reman units available anywhere.

My plan is to open up the current one and attempt to rebuild it, but here in rainy Vancouver, there is no way I can survive driving with no wipers while I rebuild/order parts for the original unit.

I read a thread where someone said a 3rd gen 4runner unit can be retrofitted. I couldn't find any other info on it.

I compared pictures I could find of the 2 units and they are similar. Only difference is that maybe all the mounting holes may not line up, and the 4runner motor has a 4 pin connector and a ground wire where the land cruiser unit has a six pin connector (only 5 pins used).

I looked through both wiring diagrams and the land cruiser unit has the ground wire on the connector instead of a separate wire.

Edit. Forgot to mention it's on a 1995 LC

Any thoughts or tips?

TIA

Last edited:
Has anyone successfulv replaced the front wiper motor with one from another vehicle?

My wiper motor sorta quit this morning. Nothing works but fast speed.

I searched and the toyota part is discontinued and there are no reman units available anywhere.

My plan is to open up the current one and attempt to rebuild it, but here in rainy Vancouver, there is no way I can survive driving with no wipers while I rebuild/order parts for the original unit.

I read a thread where someone said a 3rd gen 4runner unit can be retrofitted. I couldn't find any other info on it.

I compared pictures I could find of the 2 units and they are similar. Only difference is that maybe all the mounting holes may not line up, and the 4runner motor has a 4 pin connector and a ground wire where the land cruiser unit has a six pin connector (only 5 pins used).

I looked through both wiring diagrams and the land cruiser unit has the ground wire on the connector instead of a separate wire.

Edit. Forgot to mention it's on a 1995 LC

Any thoughts or tips?

TIA
I bought one from O'Reilly's back in 2012. It's still going.

Start there. Then maybe have yours rebuilt.

Make sure it's the motor and not the switch. Proper diagnosis is important.

if another vehical fit your 1995 80 , that part would have the same part #

The wiper motor and linkage are still available for the general market LHD models. It's not been proven yet, but it seems reasonable to believe that the motor and/or linkage are interchangeable with ours:

85110-60111 Motor Assy, Windshield Wiper [08.1992 -] FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80..LHD

85150-60101 Link Assy, Windshield Wiper [08.1992 -] FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80..LHD

I first mentioned the linkage in this thread, where @cruiserdan expresses concerns:

In this thread, @truthdetector shows that the linkage connects to the stock window motor and the wiper arm attachment points look identical:

Compare the Partsouq pictures to the one you have:

The wiper motor and linkage are still available for the general market LHD models. It's not been proven yet, but it seems reasonable to believe that the motor and/or linkage are interchangeable with ours:

I first mentioned the linkage in this thread, where @cruiserdan expresses concerns:

In this thread, @truthdetector shows that the linkage connects to the stock window motor and the wiper arm attachment points look identical:

What do you mean not proven?

I have done it on x3 US spec 80’s, including mine.

Cheers

I believe on that thread, they concluded that the parts are no longer available.
I cant seem to find anywhere where they are available also.

I believe the ones for the fj80 85110-60140 and the fzj80 85110-60141 have been discontinued

What do you mean not proven?

I have done it on x3 US spec 80’s, including mine.

Nice! Linkages, motors, or both? You can 100% confirm that both are interchangable with the US-market parts? The motors work as expected with wiper speed and intermittent function?

I believe on that thread, they concluded that the parts are no longer available.
I cant seem to find anywhere where they are available also.

Motor: Toyota 85110-60111 (8511060111) MOTOR ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8511060111 $241.68 with some available from Japan, $353.34 with 5 available from UAE.

Linkage: Toyota 85150-60101 (8515060101) LINK ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8515060101 $136.59 with 10 available, $156.20 with 175 available, both UAE.

I'm not talking about the part numbers listed for the US market. I'm telling you that there's an option for the *general market* that's still available and @SNLC appears to have just confirmed that both work on US market Cruisers.

Motor: Toyota 85110-60111 (8511060111) MOTOR ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8511060111 $241.68 with some available from Japan, $353.34 with 5 available from UAE.

Linkage: Toyota 85150-60101 (8515060101) LINK ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8515060101 $136.59 with 10 available, $156.20 with 175 available, both UAE.

I'm not talking about the part numbers listed for the US market. I'm telling you that there's an option for the *general market* that's still available and @SNLC appears to have just confirmed that both work on US market Cruisers.
Sweet!
I misunderstood when you said general market.

Toyota 85110-60111 (8511060111) MOTOR ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8511060111 looks like the correct part from the pictures.

I bought one from O'Reilly's back in 2012. It's still going.

Start there. Then maybe have yours rebuilt.

Make sure it's the motor and not the switch. Proper diagnosis is important.
It's the wiper motor. I had the same problem where the intermittant and low worked intermittantly and slowly or not at all. High worked but was still a bit slower than normal.

I ordered and installed a RockAuto reman unit. It lasted about 12 months before it started popping fuses. I opened up and cleaned the original wiper motor and reinstalled it. The RockAuto reman was in awful condition for 12 months of usage. The rubber components were breaking down and the unit was rusting from the inside out.

My cleaned up OE motor ran strong for several years but eventually the same problem returned a few months ago. I was able to secure another OEM wiper motor and swapped it out last weekend. I will rebuild mine again and keep it as a spare.

It's the wiper motor. I had the same problem where the intermittant and low worked intermittantly and slowly or not at all. High worked but was still a bit slower than normal.

I ordered and installed a RockAuto reman unit. It lasted about 12 months before it started popping fuses. I opened up and cleaned the original wiper motor and reinstalled it. The RockAuto reman was in awful condition for 12 months of usage. The rubber components were breaking down and the unit was rusting from the inside out.

My cleaned up OE motor ran strong for several years but eventually the same problem returned a few months ago. I was able to secure another OEM wiper motor and swapped it out last weekend. I will rebuild mine again and keep it as a spare.
Good to know! My plan was to put in a reman unit and rebuild the OEM and then swap them back and keep the reman unit as a spare.

But it seems the reman units are also all out of stock everywhere I check.

I'll wait until the rainy season is over before attempting to rebuild mine.

If that doesn't work then I'll spring for the general market version 85110-60111 (~450 cad shipped).

Officially OEM spares pack rat

092645A7-8412-44DB-8955-A5FE8A90DC5D.jpeg

Last edited:
I won't replace until I have reason to, but this is for @Kernal comparing the new wiper motor with an og unit from my '97 as it sits under hood today. It looks about right.

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 5.10.12 PM.png

Hey lads,

just wondering if you guys think it would be possible to swap the parts over into a rhd model motor (1994), cant seem to find any available for the rhd but if i could retrofit the parts across that would be a great solution.

Cheers from aus Gents,

Just a guess, but the Armature section and field case (with the magnets inside) might be interchangeable. IME a common reason for the wiper motors to die is when the magnets pop off the inside of the case due to rust.

If you picked up a used LHD motor and pulled it apart you could compare it to your RHD motor.

Or, take your RHD motor apart (gear section, armature pulled out of the case) take a lot of photos, and post them up. We might be able to tell which is different. Some parts may be the same, some may be mirror images??

You should check out a 70*s series motor.
Pretty sure you can make this work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom