Front drive shaft u-joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
I dropped off my drive shaft to get new u-joints and rebalanced because it was the cause of my driveline vibration. They were having a hard time finding the correct u-joints and after taking measurements they found that dimensionally these are the same as the factory oe joints that came out of my drive shaft. Turns out instead of spending $100 a piece from the dealership all you have to do is go to AutoZone and ask for a Kia Sorento u-joint

IMG_20240123_114357.jpg

Past two times I've had u-joints replaced I just get the correct ones from Cruiser Outfitters and drop them off with the shaft, makes it super easy.
Same. Cruiser Outfitters is the way to go. interesting to know that the Sorento fits as well though.

Bruv, who makes those u-joints? Non-OE quality on a landcruiser is cardinal sin territory.

Bruv, who makes those u-joints? Non-OE quality on a landcruiser is cardinal sin territory.

All of our joints are OEM Toyota or Matauba, Japanese and super high quality. Zero worries about running the Matauba over the OE boxed joint.

Thank you everybody for your feedback but the drive shaft shop got me the repair done the following morning and I wasn't willing to pay overnight shipping for them to get here and then wait another day to have the drive shaft shop install them and balance it. I need ed to get it back together asap and this was my fastest option.

I dropped off my drive shaft to get new u-joints and rebalanced because it was the cause of my driveline vibration. They were having a hard time finding the correct u-joints and after taking measurements they found that dimensionally these are the same as the factory oe joints that came out of my drive shaft. Turns out instead of spending $100 a piece from the dealership all you have to do is go to AutoZone and ask for a Kia Sorento u-joint

View attachment 3539990

Fwiw I suspect NE stands for Neapco.

Neapco is an old school company and makes some great stuff. Many joints are made in the US, others 1-0436 having identical dimensions but I'm assuming it's close enough as they installed them.

All of our joints are OEM Toyota or Matauba, Japanese and super high quality. Zero worries about running the Matauba over the OE boxed joint.
I know your stuff is legit, I'm a happy customer. I was referring to the Kia Sorento ones. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
KIA U joints in a LC? I would never install those cheaply made Korean parts into any of my vehicles. You could have easly sourced OEM U joints or get the entire OEM drive shaft for like $300 during toyota dealer promotion. Besides, front drive line U-joints hardly fail because they don't undergo constant vibrations as the rear. When I pulled my front drive shaft to replace OEm shaft, both had no play except at the splines.

What's done is done, like OP said, they didn't have time to wait. Think most are just surprised that a KIA joint matched up, creative on the part of the shop you used. For future ref. you can drive without one of the DS's and the center locked for however long you need to wait for a repair. Actually kind of fun to drive in 2wd for a bit.

Reactions: jLB

View attachment 3539990
Report back the result- are they vibe free?? Also are they greaseable, and do they have available shims (yokes wear with age and use and sometimes need different bearing cap shims) ? I

A note to new readers considering non Toyota ujoints- there is really no subsitute for the OEM Toyota spiders- they are very robust- last hundred(s) of thousands of miles (if greased and not dragged across obstacles). Using any thing else on an OEM prop shaft will likely result in driveline vibes- aftermarket just don’t fit the yokes perfectly and generally can’t be shimmed.

Report back the result- are they vibe free?? Also are they greaseable, and do they have available shims (yokes wear with age and use and sometimes need different bearing cap shims) ? I

A note to new readers considering non Toyota ujoints- there is really no subsitute for the OEM Toyota spiders- they are very robust- last hundred(s) of thousands of miles (if greased and not dragged across obstacles). Using any thing else on an OEM prop shaft will likely result in driveline vibes- aftermarket just don’t fit the yokes perfectly and generally can’t be shimmed.

While I generally agree with your comment, I suspect the the front driveshaft would be slightly less “dynamic” from a fixed transfer case, to a fixed IFS front differential, then again, I’d still prefer an OE/OEM solution.

What's done is done, like OP said, they didn't have time to wait. Think most are just surprised that a KIA joint matched up, creative on the part of the shop you used. For future ref. you can drive without one of the DS's and the center locked for however long you need to wait for a repair. Actually kind of fun to drive in 2wd for a bit.
It is fun until you need to get off the line quickly in the rain and forget you are RWD only lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom