98 rear shaft clip ring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey all. long time lurker here. first off tyty to all who post here. the knowledge on these boards is incredible. my question is i have a 98 lc w 293k and recently had a local shop do some work on cv axles. they notice a weeping rear transfer case and attempted to replace seals. they also quickly realized it was above their pay grade. what i have now is a loose snap ring (?) between rear drive shaft and transfer case. im just wondering if its safe to drive and if so how critical is repair. no local shops will touch it so i would have to go to dealer. and again you guys rock.

Please post a picture.
Oil seal on the rear transfer cannot be replaced just by removing the drive shaft and flange. You have to remove the rear half of the transfer case to get to the oil seal. Not sure what you are talking about the snap ring, so best is to post a picture.

thanks for reply. ive watched a transfer case seal and bearing replacement online, which is why im confused. the gap between shaft and case has a loose ring in it. i can jiggle the ring with the small stick. not sure what the local garage did to cause. regardless the seals need to be replaced eventually.

IMG_4220.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom