Front differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stop!

Hi,

I’m 18, I bought my 62 series when I was 16, and I too was once in your position.

Your best option is to NOT put a differential locker in the front. Here’s why.

Learn how to kick peoples ass off-road with open diffs first, you’ll learn how to wheel your rig well, and you’ll know it’s limits.

If you haven’t already Learn about momentum and wheel placement. Get good before you start adding performance mods like that.

On another note, if you really want a differential locker, go and look at a lockrite locker - they simply pop into the carrier of the differential and no major tear down is needed. Not to mention they are cheap.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help with anything you don’t want to start a thread over.

I’m thinking about welding my front differential . I’m 17 so any kind of aftermarket locker is out of the spend most my time in the snow.
Not unless you have a bucket of birfields in back and a bucket of money in the bank. I know where you live and
there isn’t snow everywhere all the time. As soon as those front tires hit resistance at least one birf is gonna let go. I ran an ARB up front on my 40 with 38’s. Only extreme caution prevented me from destroying birfields
regularly. Get a cheap Aussie locker out back, keep the front open and go have fun. It will be much cheaper
fun. Really good proper tires will get you there better than a Lincoln locker up front.

How new are you to snow wheeling? Welding the front diff is NOT what you want to do, unless all that is left of that thing is a Buggy chassis and you never need to turn sharp. Otherwise, you will be much better off with a different option. A lunchbox locker works fine, I have one in mine. You can get them on sale for less that $275 shipped to your house. Honestly though, in snow, a front locker isn't always all that good. Side-hilling gets a lot harder, icy trails can get downright nasty and breakage if you fall into a ditch and catch traction on the downhill tire with the throttle pinned can be a real possibility.

It's o.k. to be young and broke. Most of us started that way. What isn't o.k. is for the ones who have been there and done that, and now know better to remain silent when we see someone about to make the same mistakes we once made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom