Front Brake Caliper Replacement - Napa Eclipse NLA? Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going with OEM on the rear since that's the project for this weekend. Nobody has remans locally anyway and I'll have to order as it is. I replaced these about 3 years ago with some from Advanced Auto and the pistons appear to be seized now.

My rears are next. Just waiting to burn through my pads. What did you pay for your calipers?

I had a stuck rear caliper and replaced mine with NAPA Eclipse about 2 years ago. The quality all around was exceptional and the housing was definitely OEM Toyota. ~90% of the time the OEM part is worth it, but that other ~10% requires you to do some research. At the time of my rear brake rebuild, the OEM rotors and pads made sense but the cost differential (around 3x) for OEM calipers was not sensible when a quality aftermarket existed. There are a number of elitists around here who shame anything other than OEM, regardless of any consideration of the cost. It is an internet forum and we're dealing with an increasingly rare, niche vehicle, so what do you expect?

My rears are next. Just waiting to burn through my pads. What did you pay for your calipers?
$147 each from McGeorge Toyota. I called the local dealer and they wanted $274 each. I gave them the part number so I know it was the same. I don't understand how there can be such a difference....

$147 each from McGeorge Toyota. I called the local dealer and they wanted $274 each. I gave them the part number so I know it was the same. I don't understand how there can be such a difference....
Because everyone works off the same list price and dealers charge whatever they want. That's why I never order anything from my local dealer that is literally 7 minutes down the road.

Because everyone works off the same list price and dealers charge whatever they want. That's why I never order anything from my local dealer that is literally 7 minutes down the road.

Same problem here in Portland, OR, all the dealers I've checked with charge a good 30% more than McGeorge.

Can you provide a link to where you’re seeing this price? I’m looking at *a* McGeorge Toyota and I’m seeing calipers for apx $250 a pop.

Just put rears on from partsouq.com. Note that these come with the mounting bracket.
14775060110CYLINDER ASSY, DISC BRAKE, REAR LHToyota11175.59$
24773060110CYLINDER ASSY, REAR DISC BRAKE, RHToyota11176.30$

I haven't replaced calipers before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is it necessary or advisable to replace the mounts when replacing the calipers? What are the mounts made of - I'm guessing they're metal of some sort. Do they wear out?

If you have functional calipers, rebuild them yourself - use care b/c there’s a little gasket / o-ring that wasn’t included you’ll need to re-use.

But I’m really happy esp with rebuilt kit prices & esp after hearing such a mix bag review of those complete Napa units.

I haven't replaced calipers before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is it necessary or advisable to replace the mounts when replacing the calipers? What are the mounts made of - I'm guessing they're metal of some sort. Do they wear out?

On mine, the pads may have been OEM or replaced at most once in the almost 200,000 miles on the odometer. On each side, the upper slide bolt came loose OK, but the lower one froze and broke off instead. Since they provide the mount with the caliper, I assume that Toyota anticipates this happening. The bolts holding the hanger came loose OK on both sides and generally seem to not have issue like the slide bolts may. The hanger comes assembled with the caliper, so seems that it's easier to install the whole assembly, then removed the caliper to install the pads.

Which gasket is this?

Inside the 2 clamshell halves of the FR calipers - it’s the fluid galley that lets all 4 pistons catch fluid from memory.

I was warned back when I did mine, some reason it’s not in the ‘Yota kit. :meh:

Inside the 2 clamshell halves of the FR calipers - it’s the fluid galley that lets all 4 pistons catch fluid from memory.

I was warned back when I did mine, some reason it’s not in the ‘Yota kit. :meh:

Ah, so you split the halves? I wasn't going to do that, maybe I should? They did go through a parts washer and they've been sitting for a couple weeks, so I'm a little concerned about internal rust...

Getting ready for a trip and my brakes are trash.
Thanks to this thread ordered 4 new oem calipers from mcgeorge.
Got an email this morning of "these are backordered for at least 2 weeks, still want them?"
So it sounds like its a wait each time for them to get them.
Also doing all 7 new OEM lines, extended at axle,
Stoptech slotted rotors and 100 series EBC green stuff pads up front.
leaving rear rotors and pads as i did them with OEM but napa calipers 10k ago, but wasn't impressed with the caliper quality.
Also doing a new LSPV since my bleeder is past stuck and i'm 90% even after soaking the studs will snap and the bleeder.

Looking forward to functional brakes.

Getting ready for a trip and my brakes are trash.
Thanks to this thread ordered 4 new oem calipers from mcgeorge.
Got an email this morning of "these are backordered for at least 2 weeks, still want them?"
So it sounds like its a wait each time for them to get them.
Also doing all 7 new OEM lines, extended at axle,
Stoptech slotted rotors and 100 series EBC green stuff pads up front.
leaving rear rotors and pads as i did them with OEM but napa calipers 10k ago, but wasn't impressed with the caliper quality.
Also doing a new LSPV since my bleeder is past stuck and i'm 90% even after soaking the studs will snap and the bleeder.

Looking forward to functional brakes.

Keep us posted!!

I just ordered new calipers from Norwalk Toyota last week and got notification that they are scheduled to ship today.

Just ordered 2 new front calipers from McGeorge Toyota. $145.62 each $36 shipping. Considering the issues some people have with reman/rebuilt I want to keep my Toyota cores. New rotors, pads, and hoses should round out an updated front brake system nicely.

and they are on backorder.....crap

Last edited:
Same as everyone else. Not getting rid of my old ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom