Front Brake Caliper Replacement - Napa Eclipse NLA? Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been researching threads about Caliper replacement. I have seen several that talk about Napa Eclipse Calipers as the goto. I called and Napa does not carry Eclipse Fronts. Are these NLA? What are people using these days. Most of the threads I found were from a few years ago.

Napa's only option are (Reman) Adaptive One Brake Calipers
1471XA https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ACA1471XB?keywordInput=1471xa
1471XB https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ACA1471XB?keywordInput=1471xb

I found the Toyota Remans, but heard these aren't all that great for the money.

By the way, I am replacing my calipers as proactive maintenance. My truck has 310k miles and I have pretty much rebuilt the entire truck at this point. No idea of the history of my current calipers. Bought it with 300k miles. I do not feel any issues with them, but my pads are finally at the end and figured I would freshen everything up and give it a nice baseline.

Last edited:
I tried to order all four Toyota remans on 7/8/20. McGeorge sent me an email saying 47730-60060-84 and 47750-60060-84 are on a national back order with no ETA. Not sure if those are front or rear calipers. I'm now rebuilding my factory calipers.

I made the mistake of swapping in the Napa Eclipse instead of rebuilding my OEM's. The Napa one have already started to give me problems less than 2 years in. I have now started the process of swapping back to OEM.

Another data point. Two years on the Eclipses on the front and no problems.

They must've changed their supply chain if the Eclipses are NLA.

Have you considered rebuilding them?

What year is your 80? I just searched the Napa web store and found the Eclipse fronts in stock.

I have the Napa Eclipse calipers. They've worked fine so far. I have no idea who remanufactured the ones a took off but i do know they were replaced by a mechanic at some point.

Some recommendations though. Get the Toyota banjo bolts. The ones that came with the eclipse were too long. I also recommend getting the toyota brake hoses too.

Edit, also get new oem bolts to mount the calipers to the nuckel.

I tried to order all four Toyota remans on 7/8/20. McGeorge sent me an email saying 47730-60060-84 and 47750-60060-84 are on a national back order with no ETA. Not sure if those are front or rear calipers. I'm now rebuilding my factory calipers.

Yeah apparently that is correct. I was able to add them to my cart on Norwalk Toyota, but I just called them and there is no ETA in sight and quite a few pending back orders. Probably all due to Covid supply chain disruptions....Guess remans are a no go at this time and foreseeable future!

I made the mistake of swapping in the Napa Eclipse instead of rebuilding my OEM's. The Napa one have already started to give me problems less than 2 years in. I have now started the process of swapping back to OEM.

Well apparently the Eclipse are NLA from what I've found.

Another data point. Two years on the Eclipses on the front and no problems.

They must've changed their supply chain if the Eclipses are NLA.

That is what I am thinking.

Have you considered rebuilding them?

I will consider that now. I was just hoping that I did not have any bad pistons and the path of least resistance was to just by already done REMANS as they were the same price as a rebuild kit really.

What year is your 80? I just searched the Napa web store and found the Eclipse fronts in stock.

I have the Napa Eclipse calipers. They've worked fine so far. I have no idea who remanufactured the ones a took off but i do know they were replaced by a mechanic at some point.

Some recommendations though. Get the Toyota banjo bolts. The ones that came with the eclipse were too long. I also recommend getting the toyota brake hoses too.

Edit, also get new oem bolts to mount the calipers to the nuckel.

Mine is a 97. I cannot find them on their website or when I call. What is the part number you found? Just curious.

So apparently at this time the only option from Toyota is brand new at $277/side (Norwalk Toyota Price) or get the rebuild kit from them.

Mine is a 97. I cannot find them on their website or when I call. What is the part number you found? Just curious.

This is what i found. Its telling me they fit my 96 FZJ80. When i get home tonight I'll dig up my invoice and get you verification on what i put on my truck.

CAL SE2205
CAL SE2204

Did you read through this thread?

NAPA will happily sell you an Eclipse and then send you something else. That's what happened when I tried. Eclipse is no longer made at all. They will happily send you the "next best" caliper that is "just as good". It is in fact, crap.

I will consider that now. I was just hoping that I did not have any bad pistons and the path of least resistance was to just by already done REMANS as they were the same price as a rebuild kit really.

If your 80 has been living in California for a while, I'd bet your pistons are in good shape. Rust and corrosion seem to kill them in most cases. Also, if most of the miles are of the typical flat California highway type, the brakes will have seen limited usage relative to actual mileage.

Never had a problem with Toyota remanned. I could see it as a potential issue though if they are seriously rusty East Coast calipers that got remanned.

I ordered some in June.

Cheers

This is what i found. Its telling me they fit my 96 FZJ80. When i get home tonight I'll dig up my invoice and get you verification on what i put on my truck.

CAL SE2205
CAL SE2204

Well I just called my local Napa and as @CaptBeardilocks mentions they will sell you the Eclipse online, but do in fact ship the Adaptive ones I found. They do not make the Eclipse any longer for our trucks. The SE2250/2204 now directs to 1471XA/XB

NAPA will happily sell you an Eclipse and then send you something else. That's what happened when I tried. Eclipse is no longer made at all. They will happily send you the "next best" caliper that is "just as good". It is in fact, crap.

You are correct for the win! Haha. Thanks.

Never had a problem with Toyota remanned. I could see it as a potential issue though if they are seriously rusty East Coast calipers that got remanned.

I ordered some in June.

Cheers

The only issue is there a major national backorder on these with no ETA in sight.

Well I just called my local Napa and as @CaptBeardilocks mentions they will sell you the Eclipse online, but do in fact ship the Adaptive ones I found. They do not make the Eclipse any longer for our trucks. The SE2250/2204 now directs to 1471XA/XB

Then i must have been one of the last ones to get the Eclipse calipers because that was just a few years ago. Also if what others are saying is true i got extremely lucky because the forge markings on the ones i got look identical to the OE ones people have posted photos of and they looked damn near brand new when i pulled them out of the napa box. Except they're painted black. They also haven't started rusting and i live in marsh/swamp land.

My old ones were so bad all the cross bolt heads were rusted down to nubs. I also had excessive moister in the brake system. If your calipers just haves some surface rust i would rebuild them.

Hi, Just rebuilt front end on the 80. After taking and putting it all together several times, due to the hubs getting too hot. I realized the passengers side rebuilt Toyota caliper was bad. When I got it from Toyota of Dallas I noticed outside rust however I installed it anyway .New caliper said made in USA. So if you have a problem doing a rebuild it could be your rebuilt caliper. Check the caliper when you get it if there is outside surface rust I would not buy or install it. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom