Front Brake Caliper Replacement - Napa Eclipse NLA? Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a front set of Eclipse in stock at a Napa about 30 minutes away from me a few months ago. From the dust on the boxes, they had been around a long time, and I am hoping they were by the good rebuilder, whoever that was, before they went to Cardone like everyone else. I may have just got lucky. I have a set of rears waiting for me to pick them up at the local store, we'll see what I got tomorrow I guess.

Jason

I found a front set of Eclipse in stock at a Napa about 30 minutes away from me a few months ago. From the dust on the boxes, they had been around a long time, and I am hoping they were by the good rebuilder, whoever that was, before they went to Cardone like everyone else. I may have just got lucky. I have a set of rears waiting for me to pick them up at the local store, we'll see what I got tomorrow I guess.

Jason

I couldn't get any information from the guy at Napa as to what happened to them or why they no longer keep them in stock. Didn't sound like he knew much other than they just don't sell them anymore. I did not however check on the rears, so maybe those are still available.

SNIP

Some recommendations though. Get the Toyota banjo bolts. The ones that came with the eclipse were too long. I also recommend getting the toyota brake hoses too.
SNIP

Yeah, definitely do that if you do find some dusty Eclipses. Banjo bolt was just wrong. Although about $80/each, good brake hoses are pretty important, too.

Not singing the praises on the Eclipses, just I got a good set and they've held up well so far. Looking at the Eclipses, I could see where they could have issues. Dinero wasn't there for new when the job was done.

I just received a full set of new calipers from Norwalk that I paid ~$149 each (3 weeks after ordered). My originals have 429K miles and are working just fine but am restoring everything and know they may not be available in the future. The price seems more than reasonable and know they will be good for a long time. I would suggest going with them based of the mixed reviews I've heard on the remans.

I just received a full set of new calipers from Norwalk that I paid ~$149 each (3 weeks after ordered). My originals have 429K miles and are working just fine but am restoring everything and know they may not be available in the future. The price seems more than reasonable and know they will be good for a long time. I would suggest going with them based of the mixed reviews I've heard on the remans.

Yeah I'm in a similar situation! Just want all the mission critical items renewed and baselined.

I'll add my experience, I purchased napa remans around 10/2018 after reading positive threads on them and I agree that the quality is not there anymore. My issue was with a leaking bleeder valve that I probably over tightened it to get it to seal. I don't know if it was paint or something in there, but I cleaned and put in several different bleeder valves before really tightening it down to get it to stop. After I finally worked through the issues it seems like I started to see threads pop up questioning their quality.

I also went with oem 100 series pads and had read about them overhanging slightly on the outer lip but I was surprised that mine ended up over handing off the inner lip. And when installing them one set slid right in and the other side seemed much tighter and difficult to install. I know people say they fit tight but this was more then tapping it in with a rubber mallet. I was doing new oem rotors, oem 100 pads and these reman calipers so it could have just been my own fault for using 100 series pads but regarding the fit and installation issues it was hard to not fault the the non oem stuff.

If I could do it again I would go rebuilding kit over remans. If they are really 150 a side for OEM, I'd bite that bullet to know that I wouldn't be having to do it again for a long time. I thought oem were several hundreds of dollars a piece when I looked into it. The remans used to be one of those items that people would recommend over the cost of oem but I just don't think that's the case anymore. As for pads, my next set will be 80 series oem or maybe aftermarket 80 series ones.

@Ty94LC

What is strange is that when you run the part number 47750-60060 it comes back with a Norwalk Toyota price of $277.65, but when you call the dealer they say that part is not available and they refer me to 47750-60061 and Norwalk currently has that for $158.26 - Normally when something is NLA the websites will automatically redirect to the new part number. Perhaps @Onur may have some insight here.

Brand new OEM calipers were about $154/each from Norwalk Toyota.

Are you sure, bro? My Toyota remans cost more than that. New was hundreds of dollars more per caliper IIRC. Maybe OEM prices have gone down which would be a shock!

Are you sure, bro? My Toyota remans cost more than that. New was hundreds of dollars more per caliper IIRC. Maybe OEM prices have gone down which would be a shock!

Well yeah, it is strange. See below. The Reman part number below doesn't even show in the Toyota system at all any more...when you call. I think those are NLA or on some national backorder with no ETA. When you call Norwalk they say the new part number is 60061 which is why I asked @Onur , but not sure why the new part number is so much less. Perhaps the new calipers are made with lesser quality parts? I do not know when the suppression from 60060 -> 60061 took place. Either way you cannot get remans at this time and the only caliper you can buy is 60061.

1596036805732.png

1596036934926.png

Well yeah, it is strange. See below. The Reman part number below doesn't even show in the Toyota system at all any more...when you call. I think those are NLA or on some national backorder with no ETA. When you call Norwalk they say the new part number is 60061 which is why I asked @Onur , but not sure why the new part number is so much less. Perhaps the new calipers are made with lesser quality parts? I do not know when the suppression from 60060 -> 60061 took place. Either way you cannot get remans at this time and the only caliper you can buy is 60061.

View attachment 2387356
View attachment 2387357

Score! New is a no brainer then. My Toyota remans are doing fine and still shiny silver, but if the pricing was this back then when I bought, I would've gone new, no question. Get in there, homey! In that other thread, I listed out all the sundry bits and bobs you need, but take out the pistons since the remans and new calipers will come with them.

Yeah, OEM was pricier. Could be they ran a new batch cheaper (good) or it might be they're cleaning out the warehouses of parts that they plan to no longer offer (bad). Always hard to tell with ~30 year old vehicles. Land Cruisers last and this is a vital part, so let's hope it's the former and not the latter.

Slightly off topic,

we have a set of Bosch rotors in my shop, brand new and they are so warped they can’t be turned.

FYI

Cheers

Is Bosch the OEM supplier?

Interesting on the fronts, if I had the option for OEM for $150, I would have never even tried to buty NAPA. I did get the Eclipse rears yesterday, in an Eclipse box. $55 each with an $80 core charge. Haven't really looked at them that hard, but other than the paint / coating being unusually thick, I didn't see anything that made me run. Still come with the same crap banjo bolts.

Jason

Interesting on the fronts, if I had the option for OEM for $150, I would have never even tried to buty NAPA. I did get the Eclipse rears yesterday, in an Eclipse box. $55 each with an $80 core charge. Haven't really looked at them that hard, but other than the paint / coating being unusually thick, I didn't see anything that made me run. Still come with the same crap banjo bolts.

Jason

I didn't even look at the cost of the rear calipers. Perhaps you should. Still have time to return the ones to Napa!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom