Builds Frog's FJ159 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got a decent camera, some better quality pics
IMG_20180412_202545738.jpg
IMG_20180412_202600482.jpg

Working the b pillar, starting with some old rear sides helps.
IMG_20180413_194557622.jpg

Looking for ideas here. Turbo down pipe tunnel in the cab is not what I want. Am thinking that getting two flanges and welding up a spacer that moves turbo forward and down is my best option. Anyone have any other ideas?
IMG_20180413_195046177.jpg

I agree with Johnny, that's one way to go.
From the picture, it looks like you may have room to run a downpipe with a tight radius and some trimming.

What does the original Turbo downpipe flange look like?

When you build a manifold, you mill it flat after welding. Warping is not a concern, as long as you use plenty of tacks and move around enough. Cracking isn't a concern either, because you're fabricating a new manifold out of steel, but you can always wrap the manifold in a welding blanket after welding to let it cool slowly.

Alternately, a cobra head exhaust elbow would likely fit in that space. Hard to tell without measurements of the room you have though.

Glen's Surplus store: Cummins #3927862 Exhaust PPE Out | Automotive Accessories | Cummins-3927862 |

gsps-cummins-3927862-3_medium.jpg

I was thinking that having more of a top mount setup would give you enough clearance to get a down pipe through there. Or, you know, there is always the zoomie pipe through the hood option.

I was thinking that having more of a top mount setup would give you enough clearance to get a down pipe through there. Or, you know, there is always the zoomie pipe through the hood option.
I looked at the top mount rv manifolds, turbo would be one inch into the hood. Zoomie option would be cool if I was 20 years younger. I think I am going to build a mini manifold that fits between the exhaust manifold and turbo. This will move turbo forward and down. The Glen's surplus downpipe is also an option that I may end up using

Alternately, a cobra head exhaust elbow would likely fit in that space. Hard to tell without measurements of the room you have though.

Glen's Surplus store: Cummins #3927862 Exhaust PPE Out | Automotive Accessories | Cummins-3927862 |

gsps-cummins-3927862-3_medium.jpg
^^^ Look at that, never see this before, very cool!

I don't like the idea of adding a mini manifold between your existing manifold and the turbo. This introduces yet another gasket mating surface for leaks to develop. There can also be a fair amount of stress applied to the turbo housing from the rest of the exhaust as the engine mounts and frame flex, you may be extending the lever arm and adding stress to the manifold/cyl head.
YMMV.

I don't like the idea of adding a mini manifold between your existing manifold and the turbo. This introduces yet another gasket mating surface for leaks to develop. There can also be a fair amount of stress applied to the turbo housing from the rest of the exhaust as the engine mounts and frame flex, you may be extending the lever arm and adding stress to the manifold/cyl head.
YMMV.

^^^ While it can work, I completely agree with Pacer. A mini manifold is a workaround, not a proper fix.

^^^ While it can work, I completely agree with Pacer. A mini manifold is a workaround, not a proper fix.
I hear and agree with both responses, however am going to try it and then decide. If the manifold can take the added stress of compounds then I don't think the extra torque will be an issue. The leaks are a concern, but I am more worried about cooking marshmallows on the passenger firewall for right now.

Concerning stress on the manifold by hanging the turbo father out. You can always build a support arm that goes down to the block/motor mount to support the turbo assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom