Found in a field (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a section of timber, far northwest, these two orphans were here and part of the deal, rose bush and packrat nest included. No huge attachment, not yet sure what I'll do with them, just wanted folks to know they are still out there.
IMG_2926.JPG
IMG_2927.JPG
IMG_2929.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2930.JPG

The little black one is a '78, also 4 on the floor, and someones plow truck. It runs, carb is in rough shape. Clever, homebuilt plow hydraulics from a power steering pump. Switched at some point to small electric winch. I can also attest to the fact the rusted out carcass is built entirely of bondo, two cans worth at least.
The red one is a '72, not running. That hole above the starter in the block looks to me like frozen water jacket popout. Gets to minus 35-45F pretty much every winter for a stretch.
Body armor is interesting. My guess is rust holes underneath.

Congrats, your 72 is really a 73. You need the carefully remove the backup light and put it in a safety deposit box.

Looks like something out of JC Whitney back in the day. Just quirky enough to be cool. I like it.
There is another 77-78 up the road several miles, along with a cool white FJ45 few miles farther along. We are 30mi off the pavement, end of the road. Rural area where these types of things go to get 'stored'.

The light is 1 yr only.

The red one seems pretty complete on the inside. The diamond plate is either hiding rust or contributing to the rust.

It is. Rats chewed (a probably hard to find) transfer case shifter boot. Filled the glove box with dog food. Left most else alone.
Upholstery in very good shape. Still weather tight. Black one is ventilated by rust. Drivetrain functions just fine.
Hiding or contributing? Both. For sure. Looks like something from a back east salt road turdhole where everything slowly disappears. From up by Alaska. Mag chloride, not sodium chloride. Still.
Anyhow. Don't know enough about them yet to know what I want to do. Just fun.

How can you tell that ? Sorry for my inability to do so.

Size of the windows. Those are shorter than the FJ40. On the 73 the heater blower switches are one year only as well. They are marked front and rear. Curious the production on the 73. US had but buckets but those are correct seats for a 72 model.

The shift pattern on the glovebox door is for a four speed. US model only had three speeds. Interesting cruiser. Diamond plate looks like some thing you would see on a jeep taxi in the Philippines. Of course it would be buffed to a shinny finish.

Up by Fairbanks or Talkeetna? I’m down on the Kenai peninsula. There is a decent amount of 40s scattered around the state rotting in peoples yards and rural properties.

Up by Fairbanks or Talkeetna? I’m down on the Kenai peninsula. There is a decent amount of 40s scattered around the state rotting in peoples yards and rural properties.
Way south of you all. North of the border, south of Juneau.
See if I can buy the little FJ45 up the road. Seems they are somewhat unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom