Builds Found an Arabian FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FINALLY installed belts in the back.

295backbelts.jpg

And then a buddy and I took it out for a quick grocery run and I made a new friend.

296friends.jpg

That's a 1961... very cool rattle-can restoration. @JackA is the owner and I'd somehow missed his build until we met and I looked him up here.

FINALLY installed belts in the back.

295backbelts.jpg

And then a buddy and I took it out for a quick grocery run and I made a new friend.

296friends.jpg

That's a 1961... very cool rattle-can restoration. @JackA is the owner and I'd somehow missed his build until we met and I looked him up here.

So you have seating for 7 just like the US models had up until the 73 model when it dropped to 6? Then in 74 dropped to four. Interest the front seat frame look more like our pre 73 model. Besides quite a different shape our 73-78 bucket seat had black frames.

So you have seating for 7 just like the US models had up until the 73 model when it dropped to 6? Then in 74 dropped to four. Interest the front seat frame look more like our pre 73 model. Besides quite a different shape our 73-78 bucket seat had black frames.

The GCC trucks had no seatbelts in 1977 so I put the anchors/mounts in when I had it built... and just now got around to installing the back belts. Since I've got the full length bench seats in the rear I figured I'd do four belts.

Lots of features on the GCC trucks were a few years behind their NA counterparts. No buckets even in the later years except in the LX's I think. So hard to compare to the NA seating arrangements.

Now that I have four seats in the back with belts I don't expect the middle front to be used often. My boys are getting a bit too large for that although they still fight over who gets to shift.

Joel that interior is so clean! Maybe too clean!?

Bah! No such thing as too clean. I've always been super meticulous with keeping my cars clean inside and out. Regardless of their use. This truck has been out in the desert several times in Abu Dhabi but always cleaned up afterward. It'll go offroad here in AZ as well and I'll always clean it up afterward. Dad always reinforced to me that cars last longer when kept clean.

Bah! No such thing as too clean. I've always been super meticulous with keeping my cars clean inside and out. Regardless of their use. This truck has been out in the desert several times in Abu Dhabi but always cleaned up afterward. It'll go offroad here in AZ as well and I'll always clean it up afterward. Dad always reinforced to me that cars last longer when kept clean.

Certainly no where near meticulous as keeping it as clean as you except the under side. Been doing that since I bought my first FJ40. Always figure the easiest rust repair is the one not needed.

Did my first oil change on the 40 this weekend... it's had numerous oil changes since I bought it obviously but oil changes I always let someone else do over in the UAE. It was cheap, I picked the oil, and I didn't deal with any messes.
297oilchange.jpg

Had some help as well. His first oil change EVER! So glad to be back in the States where I can properly groom my kids in the proper care of automobiles.
298helper.jpg

Also started cleaning under the hood... it arrived quite dusty and dirty from the trip over to the States. Installed an Odyssey battery as well that I picked up during their Labor Day sale.
299newbattery.jpg

A bit more work needed to get the engine bay back to where I want it. =)

Somehow, I’ve missed this thread and just read through the whole thing. Beautiful 40, @Honger! I’m always so happy to see these rigs being driven, and especially with kids involved.

Welcome back to the States and look me up if you drive north to Colorado any time soon.

Thanks a bunch! The kids are a big part of this for me. They love the trucks.

And I'll certainly look you up. Planning a trip up to Colorado for next summer... hopefully with both the Troopy and the 40.

Drove it to work today... stopped for a quick picture on the way home.

The weather is turning and I freakin' love driving this thing.

300desert.jpg

First whole-family trip in the FJ40. Weird that's it taken this long... but I've only recently had enough seatbelts. We took the 40 out last weekend to go pumpkin picking. This was obviously a new activity for the kids and they loved it!

301family.jpg

Walking around the pumpkin patch was loads of fun for the kids.
302pumpkins.jpg

It was a good day... the truck handled the 120-mile roundtrip with no issues. She bogged a bit on the grades going up 17 out of Phoenix, but we got there.
303fenderpumpkin.jpg

Look at that fender... the truck needs a wash!

I kinda wasn’t kidding about the wash. Since @wngrog and @GA Architect have come out as Griots users I’m less ashamed to share now.

Washed, clay bar’d, and then waxed by random orbital...
304griotshine.jpg

It’s been over three years since the restoration and I’ve never done the clay bar on this truck. And it’s only my third or fourth waxing. The clay bar took off so much filth. It’s so amazingly smooth now. And the random orbital applied Griots wax makes the truck look wet. I’m loving it.

I kinda wasn’t kidding about the wash. Since @wngrog and @GA Architect have come out as Griots users I’m less ashamed to share now.

Washed, clay bar’d, and then waxed by random orbital...
304griotshine.jpg

It’s been over three years since the restoration and I’ve never done the clay bar on this truck. And it’s only my third or fourth waxing. The clay bar took off so much filth. It’s so amazingly smooth now. And the random orbital applied Griots wax makes the truck look wet. I’m loving it.
Ok I am coming out as well. The Griots products have been my go to items for quite some time. When I bought my ‘78 it was VERY oxidized, Griots products and lots of hard work on my side brought her back! We cant protect our trucks enough here in Arizona. Very nice 40. Tom

Mine gets lightly wheeled but to not protect these classics seems like a sin, that said I completely go over it after every dirt outing, under as well.

With the relocation to the US I had been borrowing my dad's T100... my old truck that he inherited during my 10-year expat adventure. I returned that to him over the Thanksgiving holiday so I've been using the FJ40 and FJ75 as quasi-daily drivers in the meantime. So much fun.

With both trucks I avoid the highway and stick to back roads to-and-from work. Some scenic little pull-offs along the way...

305sonorandrive.jpg

Lots of fun to be driving this truck here. I do need to get the heater plumbed in though... some cold mornings here in AZ.

automobiles.

This is a great rig. Really love the restore details. It’s a high bar!! Looks like your little grasshopper has a high mediclurin count for cruisers! Loving it. You probably do this but forgot when you took a pic with him under the rig (happens to me all the time), make sure they wear safety glasses and other safety gear. It will keep them working on rigs for their lifetime!! Great read for a New Years mornin.

Carry on!

With the relocation to the US I had been borrowing my dad's T100... my old truck that he inherited during my 10-year expat adventure. I returned that to him over the Thanksgiving holiday so I've been using the FJ40 and FJ75 as quasi-daily drivers in the meantime. So much fun.

With both trucks I avoid the highway and stick to back roads to-and-from work. Some scenic little pull-offs along the way...

305sonorandrive.jpg

Lots of fun to be driving this truck here. I do need to get the heater plumbed in though... some cold mornings here in AZ.

While snow play is fun I would use the 4Runner if you go. Did a quick trip up to Winslow and back yesterday. Now to wash the salt off the Sequoia now. Won't want either your FJ40 or FJ75 suffering from salt.

If you need help with getting your heater hook up maybe I could help.

This is a great rig. Really love the restore details. It’s a high bar!! Looks like your little grasshopper has a high mediclurin count for cruisers! Loving it. You probably do this but forgot when you took a pic with him under the rig (happens to me all the time), make sure they wear safety glasses and other safety gear. It will keep them working on rigs for their lifetime!! Great read for a New Years mornin.

Carry on!

Man, thanks for pointing out the eyewear recommendation. I've actually gotten a lot better myself as there's always dust/debris raining down into my eyes when under my cars. Need to enforce the same standard for the boys. Good pointer!

And thanks for the compliments!

While snow play is fun I would use the 4Runner if you go. Did a quick trip up to Winslow and back yesterday. Now to wash the salt off the Sequoia now. Won't want either your FJ40 or FJ75 suffering from salt.

If you need help with getting your heater hook up maybe I could help.

I've got just about everything I need to make this happen. But it will require draining the coolant and refilling it in order to install the return pipe. It's also going to take some coordination to fit it in with the way my AC belt wraps around my radiator return lines. And my AC is acting up. I appreciate the offer... may take you up on it when the time comes. I'll probably wait til I have my own place and can afford to immobilize the 40 for awhile while I take this on.

And "roger that" on keeping the 40 out of the snow/salt up north. No question about that. =)

Danny (@Solace in Solitude) asked me when I'd moved to PHX and I realized that I've not really kept myself present in the 40-series forum. My FJ75 Troopy has become my current consuming project, so I've been a fair-weather 40-forum poster. But rest assured, the 40 gets it's play time.

Back at the end of March we did a day trip up North to the Agua Fria National Monument and cruised part of Bloody Basin Road. We took both the 40 and the Troopy (my wife drove the Troopy; she drives stick and handles off-road well) and were joined by my wife's sister (and her hubby and kids).

Prepped for departure!
315prepped.jpg

And I got the 40 a bit muddy for the first time. Unnerving at first but I was embracing it by the end.
316bitmuddy.jpg

Glamour shot in the Monument.
314bloodybasin40.jpg

We stopped for lunch and a hike near some old Native American ruins.
317pitstop.jpg

And on the way back we snagged some photos at a pretty full/fast flowing crossing.
318crossing.jpg

I couldn't pass up the chance to take a photo with a Quicksand FJCruiser. I owned one of these for a few years overseas. They are an amazingly capable dune/desert vehicle in stock form. We camped in the UAE several times out of ours and loved it. But once my wife got pregnant with our second it quickly became apparent it wouldn't do as a family car. So I'm not one of the FJCrusier haters. I've always liked posing 40's and FJCruisers.
319quicksand.jpg

Man, clean up sucked.
320cleanup.jpg

A few hours work (mostly spent underneath) and the waxed finish shone bright again.
321gleam.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom