Builds Found an Arabian FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the Emirati gentleman who own's the shop that did the work on my truck approached me with an idea... sending some of his restored trucks to America to sell. The restored trucks don't sell quickly here and don't fetch nearly the prices they do in America right now.

Here in the UAE it's hard to find people who value the time and attention put into a properly done truck. 15,000 dirham ($4000 USD) can get you an amazing majoon (bondo) special with a nice paint job. When people see the restored trucks they don't understand the depth of the work... the complete disassembly, the cleaning and re-plating of hardware, rebuilding mechanical parts, etc.

So we agreed on some terms and now I've had my hands full with more than my own 40.

267lotsofbeige.jpg

Mine's the one in the middle... the other two are a 1980 FJ43 and a 1980 FJ40. The FJ40 has already been sold and the FJ43 is in the States and available. It's been loads of fun getting to get my hands dirty with a bunch of other 40's. This has occupied a lot of my time and it's a blast... sourcing parts, teaching the shop how to do a disc brake conversion, etc.

Here's mine again all prettied up... and in the background a red one we are preparing for the States now.

269redpeak.jpg

We've been having some professional photos done here and there to market the trucks. I've managed to sneak my own truck in for a few glamor shots. =)

268thebeach.jpg

Anyway, I'm not trying to pimp my wares here... just wanted to share some of the "neck deep in Cruisers" fun I've been having. I won't harp on this in my build thread. Though I'm sure I'll share more glamor shots of my own truck.

Very nice work. Read this thread over the weekend. I'll have to add this shop to my visit list along with Sebsports in Dubai.

You'd be most welcome to check out the shop.
And do be sure to check out Seb's place. I know him well and he does amazing work! I went through him to get my roll cage built.

The boys still love the 40 but nowadays I have a hard time finding them when I'm working on the cars... they are gone on their bicycles somewhere in the neighborhood. But my little girl has been joining in...

271princess.jpg

272princess.jpg

Wow; that looks great!! If you don't mind me asking, what range are you getting for the FJ45 in the States. When I'm done here, I want to take mine to Canada, but not sure how much i can get for it. Its definately in not as good shape as that one. It still needs some work.
No idea as I’m not selling it.

Dang... it's been too long! Need to post an update.

So I've become a bit of a watch nerd in the past couple years. I have a particular affinity for Seiko. Partially because I can afford them but also because the same Japanese engineering ethos we love about our Land Cruisers carries into Seiko watches. A must-have Seiko is called the Pogue... an automatic movement chronograph. They are vintage pieces and I thought it'd be cool to have a matching-year Pogue to go with the 40. After searching a bit I scored one via Instagram.

A 1977 Pogue to go with my 1977 Land Cruiser... nerdy but fun.

273seiko.jpg

A donut run with the kiddos...

279donutrun.jpg

Still driving the truck... still enjoying it... but currently waiting on it to arrive in AZ since I've relocated back to the States.

Glad to see cruiser is doing well as well as you!
Here is my Sieko.
Needs new bands.

image.jpg

Glad I'm not the only Seikoholic around here... I also sport a Seiko 5, as well as one of their affordable divers. =)

Anyway... more fun times with the 40... before being shipped for the USA I thought I should get her some new shoes.

For the choicest tall & skinny Dunlops I go to my neighborhood Ismail Khalily Electronic Balance shop... the guys who run the place are from Iran, speak rarely any English, and are quite happy to charge me idiot-westerner prices until I show them the invoice for what they charged my Syrian friend. =)

280tireshop.jpg

281tirechange.jpg

I went with the SP Road Grippers this time... they were out of the SP Sand Grip I'd previously had on there.
282newtire.jpg

My Sand Grips were great but a bit soft and they wore really funny. You can see it on the lugs in this photo:
283oldtire.jpg

Here she is sporting all the new shoes.
284newshoes.jpg

You'd be most welcome to check out the shop.
And do be sure to check out Seb's place. I know him well and he does amazing work! I went through him to get my roll cage built.

I went by and visited with Sebastian about a month ago. He does amazing work. I am still working on getting my hands on a 1980 +/- Troopy that I found that I want to send down to him. Unfortunately things move in geologic time during Ramadan.

Welcome back to the US. You have some really cute helpers in your family.

Beautiful pics and a really nice story!
All the best to you and your family, soon back home in AZ!
-----
PS. Been last summer in UAE and Oman, where temperature exceeded 47 degrees C/116 F, what a feeling!...

I've got a Seiko too, except it sits on my nightstand and not my wrist.
24bss8w.jpg

It goes nicely with my poster of the 40 on the wall too. :)

260yafn.jpg

Joel here’s a picture of my Seiko. It was a graduation gift in 79’. Obviously I have used it extensively but I have not worn it for years.

CADA03E9-C190-4798-B3AA-29C2E282B1F2.jpeg

I went by and visited with Sebastian about a month ago. He does amazing work. I am still working on getting my hands on a 1980 +/- Troopy that I found that I want to send down to him. Unfortunately things move in geologic time during Ramadan.

Welcome back to the US. You have some really cute helpers in your family.

Seb does amazing work... you won't go wrong. He's done two amazing Troopies actually.

And yeah, my helpers are part of the fun of owning the 40.

Beautiful pics and a really nice story!
All the best to you and your family, soon back home in AZ!
-----
PS. Been last summer in UAE and Oman, where temperature exceeded 47 degrees C/116 F, what a feeling!...

It's not the heat so much... it's the heat AND humidity! Being in AZ now it's so much different when it's dry.

I've got a Seiko too, except it sits on my nightstand and not my wrist.
24bss8w.jpg

It goes nicely with my poster of the 40 on the wall too. :)

260yafn.jpg

Okay. Where did you snag that alarm clock? That is so cool! I love the flip-over numerals.

Joel here’s a picture of my Seiko. It was a graduation gift in 79’. Obviously I have used it extensively but I have not worn it for years.

View attachment 1991214

There are guys out there who nerd out on old Seiko and they could restore that for you. Neat watch man... what a great graduation gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom