floor jack recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a floor jack recommendation. I was in a pinch today installing some Fox shocks. I bought the biggest jack they had at Wallhell. I know, you get what you pay for. It was a 3.5 ton at $114. I maxed out the height trying to get it on my jack stands up high enough to drop the axle low enough. I got the shocks installed and went to remove the ruck from the jack stands. Got it up on the jack and the jack quit. I would pull the handle down (to raise the jack) and it would just spring back up. I was kind of stuck! I was able to put blocks under one of the tires and the crappy factory jack under the other side of the axle on a cement block. Then i lifted it enough to remove the broken jack. removed that sides jack stand and lowered it onto that sides tire. Then did the other side with a cement block under the factor jack. It was not fun!

I need a good jack that wont fail, proper weight range, lift high enough, and that will lower nice and smoothly instead of "dropping" onto jack stands. Any suggestions?
PS I have some good OLD jack stands that i am borrowing but recommendations for jack stands was well would be good. These are some heavy ass pigs! getting under them when lifted up scares the hell out of me!

Well I'll be the first I guess. I've been in the market for good jack stands and a good jack for a while now as well, although I've not actually made the purchase. My prior research has gotten that Hein werner is pretty much the best and most popular new jack purchase you can make. It will cost around 400 or so though. They make a 3 or 3.5 ton model (forget exactly) that would be perfect.
Next best option is just go on clist and find a used USA jack in pretty much any condition and then rebuild it if you need to. Go to Garagejournal.com and post a question or two there and you will get a response most likely from a member there that know everything you could possibly want about jacks. He can hook u up with seals and parts to get your usa made jack up and lifting. (once again, forgot his name, but just post a question and spend some time there and you will find him (has a american flag as a profile pic I think) ).

Good quality usa made jacks are rebuildable and last a lifetime, unlike cheap chinese. With that being said, a lot of people have reccomended the jacks sold in Costco (forgot name but started with a A) jacks. There chinese, but a lot have been happy with them for a good price.

Jack stands: Amazon 6 K hein werner jack stands shipped have been sold there for a long time. Not sure if they still go for that price, but that has been reccomended a lot as well.

Good luck.

I have the Hein-Werner jack stands. Also got some jack pads (http://protechproducts.com/index.php?route=common/home) which are nice for protecting the vehicle, and they seem indestructible.
I would like to get the Hein floor jack, and it's on my wish list. Pricey, but probably worth it in the long run. I do have the Costco jack and it's nice. Works ok for my 40, as long as I jack under the spring perch - it doesn't nearly have enough lift to reach the frame. Then - I use the jack stands also. The Costco jack is very low profile, so it fits under my car that sits pretty low. Get good jack stands, and use them!

Lifting from the frame is going to be tough with any lifted 40. Most full size jacks only go to about 18 or 19 inches. The Hein Werner 2 ton gets to 20", and their 3.5 ton gets to 23" or so. It seems like a beast of a jack. Expensive, though. I recently found a used HW 2 ton in need of some TLC, but if it lasts like they seem to, even at double the price of a Harbor Freight jack it will be money well spent. Very few jacks out there anymore are built to last -- replicable, high quality seals, etc. From what I can tell you either buy based on specs and roll the dice on how long it will last, or be prepared to spend quite a bit more for a quality jack. The 3.5 ton Arcan jack at Costco seemed great, but sadly Costco sells a different Arcan jack now that isn't nearly as well spec'd. My new HW 2 ton is beefier than any 3 or 4 ton you'll find at HF or Sears and I'm very happy with it.

Hi all,

When I bought a floor jack years ago I looked for the highest lift height I could find (believe it is 20 inches.) Since then I have often added a ~6 inch chunk of 4x4 lumber in the lift cradle as a height extension.

Regards,

Alan

I'm still using my HF floor jack I bought when my Craftsman crapped out and funds were low. I think I paid around $70 when it was on sale and also used a coupon. It lifts the 80 up in the air no problem and is low profile enough to get under the wife's Scion XB. Handle twist lowers it back down nice and easy.
Depending on when it decides to die I may even get another one.

Don't buy a new one. Find a great old one on craigslist and restore it, or not. The one I got delivered to my house for $40 needed a wheel that cost $35 shipped. It is old, a bit rusty, but strong as an ox. I didn't even replace the oil in it.

Go big! :)

IMG_1915.JPG

for lifting enough to get shocks on, i've always used a cherry picker. it will pick a rig up farther than you need.

for floor jacks, i still love my pain in the butt beat up otc jack. it was free, cost me 35 to replace a bad caster and some time to cut off and reweld a foot, and doesn't take 5000 pumps to get the rig in the air like the cheap jacks.

Hi all,

Scrapdaddy, nice 55 Series! :) :beer: :clap:

Regards,

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Plugging away at it, still a lot to do. Click on the link, SLOW 71 in my sig., if you want to see more pictures.

I use both a 2 ton Walker made in the 70's, and a 1 1/2 ton Hein Werner made in the 60's. The nice thing about both these jack's is they were both made in the US, and both are fully rebuild able, unlike the jacks from China. Last time i rebuilt my walker it cost me 60 bucks for the rebuild kit. Both my jacks have low saddles heights, that go as low as 2 1/2" and rise to 20" Since i own my own machine shop i made a new saddle with an extended 7" high saddle to use when i am working on trucks that have a lift. If you want PM me, and i can send you a print that you can take to any machine shop so they can make you a 7" high saddle to use with your lifted trucks.

Years ago I got a 3.5 ton low profile Arcan twin pump quick lift jack from Northern Tool to get under my lowered VW but it lifts to just over 21" and though it doesn't get a lot of use it seems well made and gets to full height in about 4-5 pumps.

144236_700x700.jpg

Here's a pic showing the Wallyworld special next to the Arcan.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
I have OTC Aluminum Racing Jack Kit . This is a really nice high end all aluminum floor jack. You tend to get what you pay for here. It is very easy to move around and you can get it up to full height in just 5 or 6 quick pumps. What a really nice design here by OTC products on this two-ton floor jack.The best thing about this jack was how incredibly lightweight it is. It is made of mostly heavy duty aluminum construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom