FJCruiser inverter outlet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at a new FJCruiser last week and took notice of the power outlet in the passenger side rear panel. Part of the inverter option. I am gathering parts for an inverter install in my 80 and was wondering if anyone has used an outlet from the FJC for this purpose?

I haven't used one but it sounds like a good idea. I just bought my daughter a 2004 4x4 Limited 4Runner and it also has an 110 outlet built in. That might be another option to consider as there are probably more late model 4Runners in breaker yards than FJ Cruisers.

The Matrix had an inverter option as well.

Thats a great idea, if anyone finds out that this works well, I would be interested in trying it out on my truck.

I used the 115v button and outlet from a Matrix. It works out great. They fit into our blanks perfectly. I dont have a pic installed, but here is what they look like.
ac switches.JPG

Is it pre-fused? Or do you mount one behind? And where do you find the wires?

my wife has one like the above pic in her company car, problem is that it is only 2 prong outlet so forget about running a laptop or other 3 prong off of it, useless as far as I am concerned, you are better mounting a larger inverter in the vehicle somewhere and then installing 3 prong outlets as well as round aux outlets, that's what I plan to do. I think west marine has a bunch of stuff that will work.

my wife has one like the above pic in her company car, problem is that it is only 2 prong outlet so forget about running a laptop or other 3 prong off of it, useless as far as I am concerned, you are better mounting a larger inverter in the vehicle somewhere and then installing 3 prong outlets as well as round aux outlets, that's what I plan to do. I think west marine has a bunch of stuff that will work.

This was 100% my reason for just going with an inverter.

Well, a '05 Matrix is my daily driver. I beg to differ. You can definitely use a 3 prong in this outlet (see pic, with the small hole on top of the two). I charged my laptop on it without a problem.

112_0408_05z+2003_Toyota_Matrix_XRS+Interior_View_Center_Console_Power_Outlet.jpg

I picked up one of those matrix plugs. If you look close that third hole or ground post is not really a hole. It is just a space left after the molding process or something - it doesn't go all the way thru.

That being said I am still going to use the switch and outlet in a couple of the blanks (coin slots) in the center console. But I am also running a conventional looking double three prong outlet were the rear ash tray used to be with an inverter mounted back where the sub usually goes.

Last edited:
I picked up one of those matrix plugs. If you look close that third hole or ground post is not really a hole. It is just a space left after the molding process or something - it doesn't go all the way thru.

I stand corrected. I just checked and you're right. I must have been mistaken by my previous laptop whose plug had two prongs sted of the current one with three. :whoops:
Besides, it's only for 100 W and under, so more serious appliances would require an inverter (which I got on my 80 btw).

Back up from the dead. Has anyone retrofitted the entire setup from the FJ (or Matrix) into their 80? I'd prefer a "factory" tested system.

I like the Matrix's 115v button, if you want something you can install in the dash/center console to activate. But the factory setup in the 2010+ 4Runner has a really nice setup too:

20110928-few3h49f26yiktbxyr4yig8x6u.preview.jpg

Rear-Power-Outlets-500x333.jpg

Accepts 3-prong plugs!
163_099_15z+2010_toyota_4runner+power_outlet.jpg

Do the fj cruiser and Tacoma use pure sine inverters or mod sine from the factory? If the latter, that might be a consideration for using that part of the package...

I have NO idea dude. I just know they look to be very nicely packaged, and I'll trust Toyota-tested factory parts/systems over aftermarket parts any day of the week...

If your just using the blanks that'll be fine...the stock inviter is not even worth using as it can't run to many higher powered appliances..

I have NO idea dude. I just know they look to be very nicely packaged, and I'll trust Toyota-tested factory parts/systems over aftermarket parts any day of the week...
You need to actually do some research to understand what you want/need. Just because something is "factory tested" doesn't mean there aren't better options.

Back up from the dead. Has anyone retrofitted the entire setup from the FJ (or Matrix) into their 80? I'd prefer a "factory" tested system.

I like the Matrix's 115v button, if you want something you can install in the dash/center console to activate. But the factory setup in the 2010+ 4Runner has a really nice setup too...

It could be tricky. At least in late model versions of the FJ, the inverter connects to a bunch of other vehicle components, including Park/Neu switch, cruise control, engine ECU, body ECU, and the combination meter. So you'd need to figure out how those signals are used and if any can be ignored. For example, the 400W output only works when the vehicle is in park/neutral so that's likely the reason for the connection to the P/N switch. And the connection to the ECU may just be used to increase idle RPM, while the connection to the body ECU is probably part of the body electronics area network (BEAN) diagnostic system. Anyway you look at it, it's going to take some research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom