FJ62...Why no Custom Console Product? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

88Retired62

TLCA #8993
SILVER Star
Threads
What prompted this question was the review of the antichrists thread entitled "Custom Interiors" and the tremendous outflow of interest as evidenced by over 1200 views in the span of one week. Combine the "Custom Interior" posting with the tremendous positive review of the "Stainless Steel Battery Tray" thread and the obvious question came to mind...Why no Custom Console for the FJ62 and better yet, why not knock it out of the ballpark and fabricate it in STAINLESS STEEL?
Ignoring the fact that most of us FJ owners belong to the CHEAP BASTARDS CLUB, I'd still lay down some serious Quid for a One-Of-A-Kind Custom Console that intergrates and mounts perfectly above our rear heater. Who out there has access or knows a fabricator with a laser cutter and brake press. I could name a few MUD vendors who might advance the cause if they could assess MUD interests vs. cost. I'm aware that some of us have adapted the current crop of FJ60 after market consoles but the process appears very messy. Then again, venders may have already assessed the FJ62 process vs. cost as being very impractical.

I don't think the market is there, and I think that stainless would push it even further to the fringe 'boutique' category.

The tuffy consoles are excellent upgrades. You would have to beat their price to steal whatever market there is. Unfortunately there isn't much money in developing products for landcruisers. Only a few do it well.

Cool idea, very cool, but like Randy said, not much in the way of a Landcruiser market. Hell, it is hard enough to find OEM or some decent facsimile thereof for the hard-parts. If you make one though post pics. You might sell a few here on the forum.

Department of the Interior have about 7 products for 60-61-62 series roof ,floor and door mounted internal storage. Tyranny of distance
60Sahara_2.jpg

Car Consoles & 4WD Storage Drawers - Department of the Interior - overhead consoles, roof consoles, custom built consoles, 4WD interiors, storage systems, vehicle consoles, radio console, dashboard pod, four wheel drive.

croiky they're proud of those things!

What prompted this question was the review of the antichrists thread entitled "Custom Interiors" and the tremendous outflow of interest as evidenced by over 1200 views in the span of one week. Combine the "Custom Interior" posting with the tremendous positive review of the "Stainless Steel Battery Tray" thread and the obvious question came to mind...Why no Custom Console for the FJ62 and better yet, why not knock it out of the ballpark and fabricate it in STAINLESS STEEL?
Ignoring the fact that most of us FJ owners belong to the CHEAP BASTARDS CLUB, I'd still lay down some serious Quid for a One-Of-A-Kind Custom Console that intergrates and mounts perfectly above our rear heater. Who out there has access or knows a fabricator with a laser cutter and brake press. I could name a few MUD vendors who might advance the cause if they could assess MUD interests vs. cost. I'm aware that some of us have adapted the current crop of FJ60 after market consoles but the process appears very messy. Then again, venders may have already assessed the FJ62 process vs. cost as being very impractical.

Stainless costs five times regular mild and generally it is welded with tig, another three times in labor over mig. Since it's a console, nothing super critical, it could be welded mig however. Again, 4~5 times the price

mild steel mig wire
Airgas - NAT1020479 - 0.035" ER70S-6/ER70S-6H4 National Standard NS-115 CopperFree™ Carbon Steel MIG Welding Wire 33# 11 3/4" Masonite Spool

stainless mig wire
Airgas - HAR0308LE2 - .030" ER308L Harris® 308L Stainless Steel MIG Wire 2# Spool

That's why ICON charges what they do

Stainless costs five times regular mild and generally it is welded with tig, another three times in labor over mig. Since it's a console, nothing super critical, it could be welded mig however. Again, 4~5 times the price

mild steel mig wire
Airgas - NAT1020479 - 0.035" ER70S-6/ER70S-6H4 National Standard NS-115 CopperFree™ Carbon Steel MIG Welding Wire 33# 11 3/4" Masonite Spool

stainless mig wire
Airgas - HAR0308LE2 - .030" ER308L Harris® 308L Stainless Steel MIG Wire 2# Spool

That's why ICON charges what they do

I looked at making a run of these and honestly they'd never sell... too expensive. 350-400$ bare metal. There are a couple of nice ones out there and several cheap crap chinese models.

IMO, zero market for another one.

J

...I'd still lay down some serious Quid for a One-Of-A-Kind Custom Console that intergrates and mounts perfectly above our rear heater. Who out there has access or knows a fabricator with a laser cutter and brake press.
There can't be more than a couple THOUSAND fabricators in DFW. Probably not more than 100 with CNC tables & brakes. Have you taken the measurements & drawn out what you want?
DraftSight free CAD

I found one near my house in the boonies with a plasma table bigger than my truck & a ~20T press, so I've migged together several things I designed:

Stainless Banister (for phone apps)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom