FJ62 Transmission Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

Shake Hands with Danger
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Mudders!

I am about to pull the transmission out of my FJ62 but it looks like a big job.

Anybody know where I can find a good step by step instruction on how to remove it? A video would be even better.

Thanks.

Having the FSM would help.

Drain the transmission and t-case, pull driveshafts, disconnect speedo cable on t-case, disconnect ground wire on t-case, disconnect the transmission lines, disconnect and sensor wiring, support transmission, drop the cross member, put a jack under the oil pan of the engine to support it, remove transmission to bell housing bolts, drop transmission.

It's not that hard and most of it is just looking to see what's connected that needs to be disconnected to allow the transmission to separate from the engine. Once you're ready to pull the transmission you may have to use levers to pry it back from the engine. Somewhere in there is the torque convertor and you'll need to be aware of that.

Drain the transmission and t-case, pull driveshafts, disconnect speedo cable on t-case, disconnect ground wire on t-case, disconnect the transmission lines, disconnect and sensor wiring, support transmission, drop the cross member, put a jack under the oil pan of the engine to support it, remove transmission to bell housing bolts, drop transmission.

It's not that hard and most of it is just looking to see what's connected that needs to be disconnected to allow the transmission to separate from the engine. Once you're ready to pull the transmission you may have to use levers to pry it back from the engine. Somewhere in there is the torque convertor and you'll need to be aware of that.
how long should it take?

Disconnect gear lever and transfer case shifter linkages.

Yea I learned the hard way about taking off the t-case linkage on my H55F.

myself, I always disconnect the torque convertor from the flywheel, 6 bolts thru the access door on the plate behind the engine
I don't bother with draining the oils either, but that is me.
lowering the rear at the crossmember, will help get the top bolts around the bellhousing,

how long should it take?

first timer, 3-4 hours?

a few timer, 2 hours

It took me like a week to pull the trans out of my BJ60.

Fortunately the trans was removed a while ago. So it shouldn’t be that hard to do, however I’m doing this on my snowy driveway.

Sorry. No, It has hit -20 where I am, I can’t pull my cruiser into the garage because there is already a damn classic in there.

Next week it supposed to be above freezing, perhaps I will do it then. I hope the job doesn’t take too long.

I will update when I get it done.

I agree Will be 9 here with winds at 40 plus, I stoped work on the cruisers. Too cold.

@gimme a 60 here’s a thread where I had a bunch of questions about removing the auto trans. At post 15 or so I made a checklist of things to remove. HTH.

Well, I started dropping my trans today, had to re arrange the garage so I can poke my 62 through the door, as there is a car in there already.

Only got my ARB off, then unfortunately I had to stop for the night.

I’m hoping I will be able to do this in one day, but I will update tomorrow.

Well, I started dropping my trans today, had to re arrange the garage so I can poke my 62 through the door, as there is a car in there already.

Only got my ARB off, then unfortunately I had to stop for the night.

I’m hoping I will be able to do this in one day, but I will update tomorrow.

ATM FJ62

or

MTM FJ62

?

Well ATM…….. cuz it’s a 62.

it was not trick question padawan .....:)

i do have all the Paper Print Media FSM's , if you need step by step screen shots of each page from drain the gear oil and atm pan to filling the ATM back up to the COLD level / filling the T-case , PM me i will get them to you

then your set up for success and things will happen before dark .....

matt.

I will be dammed if the USA / Canada does not have the comprehensive removal step by steps neither does the A440F specialized details FSM either ?

I had to go to a 3rd FSM the HEAVY DUTY chassis body FSM , this actually covers it in the format I describe above ?

That’s a LAME toyota material distribution oversight big time !!

This is the extent of there vague information on this topic ..

E8778401-6895-4D34-A1F6-F499203D1AB8.jpeg
E74A30B6-A932-49B5-8080-0411CD3E42EB.jpeg
C07D3049-A53D-4E27-9AD8-20A774B9A0A8.jpeg
AE36F1CA-69E9-445A-A184-8264EBC50F88.jpeg

Here are comprehensive step by step removal procedures…

I still can’t believe that it’s skipped in the main 1990 FSM ?

That’s odd …

5EDF6770-B2A1-4413-8CE0-8C8FC58BCA0C.jpeg
4D4E22DA-13A3-46BD-AC4E-E22270CBBCB8.jpeg
74CFB5A0-D248-4226-B4C2-6A2596E071CB.jpeg
6B5477AE-F67C-4B19-952F-2C09BD3BF03E.jpeg
B7E60AE4-0D68-48DA-80C5-9C398EEC10FA.jpeg
2C848F2F-1381-474D-906F-4E62F1855D2D.jpeg
BBB3BDD8-E88C-46AE-9D52-371E3C698453.jpeg
A9B53C57-D305-4C18-9AB7-AE0DAA780963.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom