FJ62 Thermostat Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Figured I'd post this as encouragement to others about to or currently doing this. Started to replace the thermostat on the wife's '88 62 a few days ago. Of course it wasn't the several hour job it should have been. 2 of the 4 bolts holding the upper thermostat housing to the lower came out ok, the other 2 broke off. Pulled the upper housing off. As I guessed, the rubber gasket atop the thermostat was broken causing the engine to never warm up to operating temp. Also super crusty and gross. Got one of the two broken bolts out with heat, ice, and vice grips relatively easily. Last one broke off flush when I tried the same thing on it. Incrementally drilled it out with larger and larger bits until basically just the threads remained. I was somewhat tempted to remove the lower housing from the engine and do all this on the work bend rather than the confines of the engine bay, but was didn't because I was scared of breaking the lower housing bolts. Was also temped to use bolt extractors but in my experience those often create more problems than they solve. With a pick and pliers was able to curl the remaining portion of the bolt in on itself and pull it out with threads. To my surprise, the female threads in the housing had vanished from corrosion. Enter M8x1.25 Helicoil. Worked great. Cleaned up upper housing, installed new thermostat with new rubber gasket on top and new paper gasket. Adding a Prestone T to a heater hose tonight and adding some radiator flush and distilled water for a few days then flush it out again and fill up with correct mixture.

Side note, one of the nights when I had the housing off and the plugs to the upper housing laying unplugged, my wife (not thinking of course) started the engine to roll up the windows. I immediately screamed to shut it down since I knew the sensor plugs/wires were loose and near the fan. Came out ok I guess. Fan broke a chunk out of the water temp switch but was able to glue it back together. Next time when it's down for maintenance it's getting a big "DO NOT START" sign on the steering wheel for the wife. Hah.

20160611_165014.jpg

20160611_165217.jpg

20160611_175611.jpg

20160611_184437.jpg

20160612_161956.jpg

Two more pics.

20160612_162129.jpg

20160614_185621.jpg

Good info. Thanks for the post.
A reminder to all of us to replace the thermostat and the housing bolts every 8 years or so if we don't want to end up doing this.

I found a 4-bolt t-stat housing in my barn from an '83 2F I parted. Is the housing and top cover the same between a late 2F and a US-market 3FE?

This is typical. Soak with penetrating oil for a few days before doing this project. Also, liberal anti-seize on the bolts (replace with new bolts). Some people have replaced the bolts with studs, which sounds like a good idea to me.

I should add that I soaked each of the bolts with penetrating oil twice daily for three days prior to starting the job. In this case it didn't help since two still broke off. But, two breaking is better than three or four.

Got it all back together last night. Now it warms up in a reasonable amount of time and stays at operating temp. Satisfying for sure!

I'm out of the toyota engine biz...but wonder if worth the time to put in some good quality studs on the thermostat housing....assuming the right length and thread size were obtainable. I had basically the same experience on my 2f when I had it...on changing the theromstat...one of the housing bolts broke right off...under very little pressure.

I coat the entire thermostat housing bolt with copper-slip when I put them in.. and run just about pure anti-freeze, in the hope of avoiding this..

For curiosity's sake...

When I purchased my '86 FJ60 in 1988, I replaced a few things to start fresh. The odo was at 40,000 miles back then. One of the things I replaced was the thermostat.
The thermostat housing bolts back then unscrewed from the t-stat housing with no issue. Came right out. Toyota doesn't use antiseize on any of its bolts. These had only been installed for two years.

After I replaced the t-stat, I coated the same four housing bolts with that silvery antiseize you can buy anywhere before bolting it back together.

Fast forward 20 years with the odo now at 225,000.

It was now time to take off the head...and the t-stat housing. The t-stat housing bolts had not been touched for 20 years...

Guess what? They unscrewed easily without a fuss. No binding at all.

Antiseize works.

just for fun....don't forget the rubber washer that sits on top of the thermostat.......seems like half the folks with thermostat related issues don't have the rubber washer installed or its 20+ years old and not much left.

I'm speaking about a 2f....just noticed different engines.....since I don't own a 2f I don't know if it has the same "rubber washer" setup or not.... **

I am soo terrified of doing this on my 3fe fj80. I do not want to break those bolts off. I ordered the parts though and if it comes in should be doing my thermostat this weekend.

Broke one of my bolts off. I was left with just enough threads sticking up that I welded a nut to bolt to get it out.

I am doing this as part of my belt, waterpump, and front timing cover seal replacement. I broke one of the 4 bolts off on the thermostat housing. I bought one of these broken stud extractor tools from the local autoparts store and was impressed with how easily it pulled the broken one out. I had never used one before.

As you turn the tool counterclockwise with a socket wrench it clamps down on the bolt, kind of like a chuck mechanism.

Amazon product ASIN B07QX35G1L

I did mine recently, I’m not sure when it was last done (if ever) but per a recommendation from a different forum I used a penetrating oil called “mouse milk.” I guess it’s mostly used in the aircraft industry and works best on corrosion between dissimilar metals such as aluminum and steel like on the thermostat housing and bolts. I used a few drops on each bolt every day for about two weeks. All four bolts came out without any problem. Again, it could just be coincidence but it was $11 on Amazon so it may be worth pre-treating your bolts with it.

I did mine recently, I’m not sure when it was last done (if ever) but per a recommendation from a different forum I used a penetrating oil called “mouse milk.” I guess it’s mostly used in the aircraft industry and works best on corrosion between dissimilar metals such as aluminum and steel like on the thermostat housing and bolts. I used a few drops on each bolt every day for about two weeks. All four bolts came out without any problem. Again, it could just be coincidence but it was $11 on Amazon so it may be worth pre-treating your bolts with it.

thanks for the info I am going to try that

That mouse milk is some bad ass stuff! I had one bolt on my thermostat housing I thought for sure it would sheer off. it didn't. I could see that the mouse milk worked its way into the threads. The threads on the bolts were super rusty. My thermostat was the cause of my heating issues the vehicle is back to normal operating temps. It was running cool and almost never heated up. the gasket that goes on top of the thermostat was gone. I suspect it was never put in in a prior replacement. I am happy I went with toyota parts!

That mouse milk is some bad ass stuff! I had one bolt on my thermostat housing I thought for sure it would sheer off. it didn't. I could see that the mouse milk worked its way into the threads. The threads on the bolts were super rusty. My thermostat was the cause of my heating issues the vehicle is back to normal operating temps. It was running cool and almost never heated up. the gasket that goes on top of the thermostat was gone. I suspect it was never put in in a prior replacement. I am happy I went with toyota parts!
That is awesome to hear you had success getting those bolts out! Good job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom