FJ62 Replacement Alternate Doesn't Fit - Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had NAPA bring in an alternator to replace my factory Denso replacement from a PO. In short, removing the smog pump and brackets was routine, however the new alternator does not fit the lower cradle for the protrusion on the alternator that receives the 14mm bolt that then runs through the alternator frame. When rotated to fit the cradle the back of the alternator is about a half inch too long and is prevented from traveling rearward due to the exhaust heat shield. I am speculating that "this is what I get" for ordering generic remanufactured parts and it's either A) Trash Made in China or B) it's the wrong alternator altogether.

Thoughts? Recommendations for a "sure fit" option? Toyota Part #?

I'd like to know if I have the wrong part (perhaps a change in 3FE layouts from 88-90 versus 90-92 FJ80s).

I'm over saving coin for this operation... it almost makes me want to just pull the 3FE and go for an LS3... o_O

Unfortunately , according to our local NAPA, they have changed their sourcing to only include a few distributors that only have the
cheapest of Chinese parts. MOOG, TRW, Beck Arnley and other brands that had some decent parts can't be ordered in. In those three
cases, I've found repackaged OEM parts, at least on a dozen different times. Now their go to brand for ball joints is Mevotech, about as bad as it gets.

@JCKruiser Can you post a photo? It might be a 2F or 80 Series 3FE alternator. It could just be poor manufacturing tolerances, but the fact that it’s hitting a heat shield makes me think it’s a correct alternator, but not for your application.

Alternative solution is to find a local automotive electrical shop and have them rebuild your original. Look for a shop that advertises rebuilding starters and alternators. You know it will fit and the workmanship will be better than picking up something from a parts store.

@JCKruiser Can you post a photo? It might be a 2F or 80 Series 3FE alternator. It could just be poor manufacturing tolerances, but the fact that it’s hitting a heat shield makes me think it’s a correct alternator, but not for your application.

Alternative solution is to find a local automotive electrical shop and have them rebuild your original. Look for a shop that advertises rebuilding starters and alternators. You know it will fit and the workmanship will be better than picking up something from a parts store.
I wished we had those establishments that were willing to take the work... I think you might be correct with the manufacturing tolerances. I'll take some pictures, and post shortly

Problem identified. The alternator is one of two PNs in NAPA inventory that fall into the 88-92 years. However, the fitment of this particular alternator is less than 6mm between the bolt holes (likely for 80 series), whereas the proper fitment for a 62 series would allow for approximately 8mm. Ultimately, we have a case of mistaken identity much like Jeffrey Lebowski and The Dude. New part is on order and should be in shortly... thanks to those who provided insights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom