FJ62 New struts install for rear hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been addressed before. Just wanted to give feedback on how successful the new struts swap is.
Order from Amazon: $28.50
IMG_2305.jpg

Perfect swap. Don't make the mistake of putting the new pieces together first just because it's exciting.
Luckily did this with only 1 strut.

Use 12mm open ended wrench to remove old struts.
IMG_2299.jpg

Use 13mm to place new screws with ball joint.

Attach struts to ball joints. Wish I would have taken photos before to show the difference.
But now I don't have to bonk my head while trying to throw my mountain bike in the back.
IMG_2307.jpg
IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

I also had good success with the same struts on my '86 FJ60 build, using the FJ62 donor vehicle's lift gate (it has the rear window lock provisions).

(Insider tip): If you never use the rear wiper, (I never did in 28 years) remove the super heavy motor inside the hatch that moves the arm. It weighs a ton and is easy to remove. The hatch will then FLY open even with old struts. With new struts it might be like a reverse mousetrap- snapping open

I've yet to swap my rear hatch struts out...my 12mm studs are quite well fused into the hatch....no signs of corrosion....just well established in their homes.

Will these work pn an 85 FJ60? My struts are failing now with the colder weather.
FJ62s and FJ60s use the same lift gate, with the exception of the power door lock/mounting bracket and associated wiring. So yes, they will work.

I did the Tuff Support ones in 2017 and they already need replacing again. Do the OEM ones last longer? I would happily pay the extra to have it last more than 2 years.

The OEM would prolly last another 30 years. I am sure most of us are on the originals.

I did the Tuff Support ones in 2017 and they already need replacing again. Do the OEM ones last longer? I would happily pay the extra to have it last more than 2 years.
Yes, OEM will last much longer and they will fit better, they also include new ball stud screws for mounting.
In the long term, OEM factory Toyota parts cost less generally.

I just ordered a pair of the OE ones. Nationally there were 15 total on back order, I can wait. Just glad they are still available. Mine look to be originals.

Amazon has them for $170.84. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom