Fj62 3fe exhaust options. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any suggestions on how to replace that crazy time design? Pics? Vendors?

That crazy time exhaust design on the 62 fixed a lot of problems the earlier FJ60 exhaust has.

That crazy time exhaust design on the 62 fixed a lot of problems the earlier FJ60 exhaust has.
I have a 60. I didn't notice any issues.

Take it to a muffler shop and have the down pipes cut off above the under-the-framerail- pipe. Merge the two short sections into one and run the exhaust on out the back.
Did you do this? Can you snap a couple pics?

At this point in time there are really no options for the 3fe. Oem if you can find it or have a system fabbed up at a muffler shop

This is installing a 3FE exhaust on a 2F but same principle 3FE exhaust on 2F head - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-exhaust-on-2f-head.955034/. Scroll through the thread and there are a few photos. We're going to be doing something similar for a 3FE in the next few weeks using a pair of the straight down pipes that @HemiAlex linked. With these we'll need to have the O2 bungs retained.
Ok, that’s on a 2f. This is a stock 3fe and I was looking for a solution that kept the O2 sensors.

This is a fairly common re-do on the original through-the-spring-under-the-frame-rail exhaust the 62s came with. Like Godwin said, you can maintain the original down pipes, and you must keep the O2 sensors on their respective downpipe.

A muffler shop can Y pipe splice the two down pipes together AFTER the O2 sensors then to a cat and muffler, all inside the frame rail.
Back in the day I used a 2 inlet 1 outlet cat to serve as a “Y pipe” then out the back.

Couple pics…original downpipes, you can see where they cut and spliced in new pipes and one of the O2 sensors, inside the frame rail:
719A55D0-236D-4283-BC80-981A6DA83E17.jpeg

Looking to the back, 2 inlet 1 outlet cat conv serving as a y pipe, then single to the muffler and out the back as usual, all inside the frame rail:
4A1BA059-FB5C-477B-AE00-92775D31825D.jpeg

Hope that helps.

This is a fairly common re-do on the original through-the-spring-under-the-frame-rail exhaust the 62s came with. Like Godwin said, you can maintain the original down pipes, and you must keep the O2 sensors on their respective downpipe.

A muffler shop can Y pipe splice the two down pipes together AFTER the O2 sensors then to a cat and muffler, all inside the frame rail.
Back in the day I used a 2 inlet 1 outlet cat to serve as a “Y pipe” then out the back.

Couple pics…original downpipes, you can see where they cut and spliced in new pipes and one of the O2 sensors, inside the frame rail:
View attachment 3160110

Looking to the back, 2 inlet 1 outlet cat conv serving as a y pipe, then single to the muffler and out the back as usual, all inside the frame rail:
View attachment 3160111

Hope that helps.
That’s spectacular. It’s tough to find a shop that does custom pipes anymore. Having a pic is a thousand words.

I’ve got the recipe for as close to an oem bolt on exhaust as you can get.

Head pipes from rock auto, davico or whatever cars from rock auto and the oem tail pipe/muffler from Toyota.

@FJ62DadWagon just got this all done with a custom y pipe. His is the first picture and my 62 is the rest.

I did the head pipes from rock auto and cats back to my stock exhaust on our 62. I’ll eventually do all that he did.

3F3B8FC6-B8F7-4EB2-BB29-AA47CA5CDABE.jpeg

CD7C073F-A146-4826-9E52-09AF821A8699.jpeg

80852C36-780C-4B4C-A97E-2617E2414B7F.jpeg

2DAC8D67-3E11-46CD-9C0E-6CAEB41B4442.jpeg

C7483316-372A-46B1-9C7B-70CA3364A2E8.jpeg

That’s spectacular. It’s tough to find a shop that does custom pipes anymore. Having a pic is a thousand words.
If I ever get this piece of sh!t running again, I'm going catless along with a 3FE desmog job. Will start with a new y-pipe and go new custom out the back, that will clean up the exhaust even more inside the rails....I also don't want to deal with catalytic convertor theft that has reached epidemic proportions around here.
My Tundra catalytic convertors almost got jacked a few months ago, in broad daylight in the wide open they cut one pipe and got spooked off I guess...motherf*ckers.

If I ever get this piece of sh!t running again, I'm going catless along with a 3FE desmog job. Will start with a new y-pipe and go new custom out the back, that will clean up the exhaust even more inside the rails....I also don't want to deal with catalytic convertor theft that has reached epidemic proportions around here.
My Tundra catalytic convertors almost got jacked a few months ago, in broad daylight in the wide open they cut one pipe and got spooked off I guess...motherf*ckers.
i have a massive skid plate on my 60 that ill me moving to the 62 when the pipes get rerouted. out of sight out of mind.

@HemiAlex

I hope this won't be considered thread jacking... but...

I've got the Davico front pipes sitting in my garage. My 62 has a cobbled together exhaust system on it (all welded, and not by me. PO work). The exit was routed too low just behind the ds wheel well. While wheeling this summer, my fully compressed ds suspension dented the pipe and two days later, snapped a the weld at the front fitment. Anyway, I took the front pipe off. Re-welded it and then welded the pipe back together. It works, but needs to be replaced. It's rusty and will fail.

Is there any reason to consider a flex-joint, perhaps at the 2 into 1 pipe?

Last edited:
It seems to me the part than makes cleaning up the exhaust into a tidy 3-2-1 inside the frame rails, is the distance the O2 sensors are from the engine. That's as far as I've ever seen O2s mounted. In fact, I have a Holley sniper on my 60, and when far away you have to make adjustments to the speed the system operates at, to make up for swings in the readings.

I wonder if it would cause any issues to have the pipes designed so that the sensors are few feet closer to the engine. I dont have a doubt there would be a difference, its just odd placeing them closer in the case of the Holley makes the system operate better, not worse. I wonder why toyota put them there.

Im in the same boat as OP, I cant find anything anywhere for the 3fe exhaust oversized

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom