FJ62 (1987) rebuild, and 1HZ diesel swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I accidentally bought myself a LandCruiser.
Well we bought it for my work as a tow vehicle... I paid half and my business partner paid half. The business never had the cash to buy it off me, so I took it over and now I have a vehicle to fix up.

Its a 1987 FJ62, with a 3F petrol engine. She has been used, but is still strong!!

I will be sharing the re-build process, and getting the 1HZ diesel mounted into it.

For now here is a photo of Nelly the White Elephant in South Africa's famous Drakensberg mountains. Hopefully not a metaphor for what is to come ;)

We have done a lot of overlanding in Southern Africa, but its exciting to have my own vehicle (my Subaru Forester can only take me so far)

David (KwaTeebs)

Nellie in the Berg.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to say that you made an interesting choice for a tow vehicle but I see you are in South Africa so maybe it will work well down there. Here in the USA the 60's are less than ideal for towing anything other than small trailers.

Look forward to seeing your swap and project details. Welcome.

I was going to say that you made an interesting choice for a tow vehicle but I see you are in South Africa so maybe it will work well down there. Here in the USA the 60's are less than ideal for towing anything other than small trailers.

Look forward to seeing your swap and project details. Welcome.
thanks @Seth S Its not a large trailer it needs to tow, but rather that it needs to go on some bad roads. A double axle vehicle trailer. Maybe 2 tonne containing a mobile stage, artwork etc. and a Gasification /Pyrolysis machine that converts Waste Plastic into Diesel/Petrol like fuel and SynGas powering our educational stage for the Dung Beetle Project www.dungbeetle.africa. Thats a 100 series towing it there in the mountain passes of the Karoo desert in the Northern Cape.

Welcome. I would love to bounce around southern Africa in a 60. You're gonna have a great time.

Thats a 100 series towing it there in the mountain passes of the Karoo desert in the Northern Cape.
Pic never attached for some reason

Dung Beetle Project-V-Jeffrey Barbee_2.jpg

She was driving when we bought her, but after sitting on the farm un-used for two months, we had to get a trailer and tow her to our workshop where I am working on it.

You can see the bits of rust around the edges. Lots of work to do.

But I also have a shiny re-conditioned 1HZ sitting there and waiting to be swapped

LandCruiser_01.jpeg

LandCruiser_02.jpeg

LandCruiser_03.jpeg

bring a trailer.jpeg

1HZ recon 2.jpeg

First Job. Strip the bull bar and the grill, and get the engine & transmission out. iH8mud really helped with figuring out how to get the gear lever disconnected.

Man I am so glad we have the gantry in our workshop. I dont know how you guys do this on a small engine lift in your home garages. She is heavy that 3F

Pulling the Engine (01).jpg

Pulling the Engine (02).jpg

Pulling the Engine (03).jpg

Pulling the Engine (04).jpg

Pulling the Engine (05a).jpg

So starting with the rust... there is a fair bit in the gutters

Rust treatment (5).jpg

and patches of minor surface rust. Just needing some TLC

Rust treatment (1).jpg

But the two front fenders are not looking great so we took them off. I will try find replacement panels, or if no luck, we will fix the damaged areas.

Rust treatment (2).jpg

Rust treatment (3).jpg

The boot is fully loaded with stripped parts

Rust treatment (4).jpg

Woohooo... I found someone with a donor vehicle in the Southern Cape who had both panels available, and the fuel tank cover that I was also missing. They are getting sent my way.

I have lost the turn indicator light holes as these are off a 60 vs. 62. Does anyone think its worth cutting out space to accommodate the turn indicator lights, or just scrap that??

replacement panels.jpeg

The Cab mount bushings/ cushions are poked and need replacing. My local Toyota guys didnt seem to have anything they could give me.

Cab mount.jpeg

& I stole this schematic off this forum somewhere (I cant remember from whom sorry). The local Terrain Tamer supplier has these bushings in stock. Actually turns out to be the same bushing from the 80s Toyota Hilux trucks.

I am ordering item 1. 52201-35021. I assume it would be prudent to replace the bottom rubber (52202-35021) at the same time?!?

cab mount 2.jpeg

Turns out my Nelly the White Elephant FJ62 is quite the hollywood celebrity.

The Cruiser was apparently used as the personal vehicle of Sean Penn and Chalize Theron while filming The Last Face The Last Face (2016) - IMDb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3286560/ in South Africa and Mozambique.

Here she is showing off her bum with Javier Bardiem and Adèle Exarchopoulos in the movie

00 - The Last Face movie.jpg

The replacement fenders fit... took a bit of welding as the FJ60 bolt holes dont match up to the FJ62. But its looking good.

Also making progress on the rust treatment

Rust & Fender Fix (2).jpg

I still havent decided if its worth making a mission to put the turn indicator light back into the new panels

Rust & Fender Fix (3).jpg

Rust & Fender Fix (7).jpg

Samora and Solly nailing it

Rust & Fender Fix (6).jpg

Second replacement fender on, and giving the engine bay a cleanup while there is some downtime in our workshop
I honestly didn't believe some of that could be scrubbed white again. Starting to look good

Rust & Fender Fix (5).jpg

We found this crack on the front of the vehicle... after a little bit of concern the consensus in the room was that it wasnt a structural issue, so weld and move on. I reckon its because those cab mount cushions /bushings were falling apart. (had to order new ones from Australia via the local distributor - should arrive in next 2 weeks)

Anyone got any comments on this? Safety issue?

Front crack (3).jpeg

Front crack (2).jpeg
Front crack (1).jpg

Fixed? ;)
Front crack (1).jpeg

I need some help folks! @roma042987 @bigbrowndog @cruiseroutfit @tlcruiserman @boozewz you seem to have done this before - perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

Advice on an Input shaft for a 1HZ swap on this FJ62 (1987 3F petrol removed).

1) I am not 100% sure what gear box I have... but it is the Cast Iron box (with Aluminium transfer case - see pics below) (h55F? can anyone confirm)

2) I have ordered a used 75series bellhousing for the 1HZ, and my supplier tells me it will work with my gear box based off the pictures (see below) - we will install that at the end of the month and see about the input shaft

3) My current input shaft is 10 spline / 152mm (also pic below)

4) I dont have a flywheel currently.

The Question is this:
  • My friend who is helping me is saying the 10spline one will be fine with the appropriate flywheel.
  • But looking at all the forums I believe I will need the longer 21 spline / fine spline Input shaft. Part number 33311-60170

Can anyone confirm if I can use the 10 spline here for the 1HZ with the 75 bellhousing.
Or do I definitely need the 21 spline?

PIC: Current 10 spline input shaft

Input shaft 152mm.jpeg

PIC: Gearbox currently mated to 3F - think it is a H55F????

Gearbox and 3F (trim).jpg

Gearbox - Fj62 (1).jpeg

Gearbox - Fj62 (2).jpeg

Gearbox - Fj62 (3).jpeg

Last edited:
that does appear to be an h55 and yes you will need the hz style input shaft. I would also confirm your 75 bellhousing you are getting is from an HZ powered truck and not 2h
Thank you @roma042987 - the bell housing is definitely off a 1Hz truck. I will track down the 21 spline input shaft; hopefully from the same folks.

Sorry I have two follow up questions now:

1) Are you saying this is an H55 gearbox (not a H55F)?

2) It also seems I dont have a flywheel... anything I should know about for that?

You may need to swap over the bezel mounts out of your old gaurds if you are keeping the square headlights.
@Earwigg I may need you to elaborate. Is there a bezel mount on the two fenders that I replaced, that I need to recover from the old rusted panels?

I am keeping the square headlights, although I am missing a section of the chrome trim on the left side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom