FJ60 vs FJ62 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched and read plenty, but can’t find a condensed source of info I’m after, so....
I have an early ‘83 FJ60 and am starting to really tear into it. I’m about ready to pull out almost everything under the truck and have it cleaned, fixed, painted, replaced, rebuilt or modified.

Is there any reason to consider replacing my 60 axles with FJ62 axles?
What are the pros/cons?
What problems my I encounter?
Is it a waste of time?

I'm going to have a Toyota guy do the work, but just want to do some homework on my end so I can help source the parts.

I’ll be upgrading to a LS and auto tranny at some point if that matters at all, but the front axle and breaks need some love now and the motor swap is about 8-12 months out.

Thanks...

Do you want or need 4.10 gears? Will that benefit your LS swap later?

The 62 axles also had a bit of a truss on the front axle, so the housing may be stronger as well. What is your intended use of the truck after the swap?

I'm guessing with the LS swap the gearing wont be that big of a deal, but then I'm not entirely sure.
I'm still pretty new to the 60's and only know what I've read on this site.

I'm guessing that swapping out the axles is not really beneficial to any thing specific, it's not like I'll be gaining big breaks of rear discs.
As for gearing...cant I just swap out gears later down the road?

I'm guessing with the LS swap the gearing wont be that big of a deal, but then I'm not entirely sure.
I'm still pretty new to the 60's and only know what I've read on this site.

I'm guessing that swapping out the axles is not really beneficial to any thing specific, it's not like I'll be gaining big breaks of rear discs.
As for gearing...cant I just swap out gears later down the road?

Yes, you can swap the third members easily in the future.

no huge benefit..

@cruisermatt made a comment a while back that what he's read (somewhere around here) is that the 62 truss reinforced axle housing, which appears to look stronger than the 60 axle housing - actually isn't. It just looks like it is. But I don't know.

Most cruiser housings bend outside of the spring pads.. So the truss is really not all that useful. Now a truss on the knuckle that a couple of the aftermarket companies sell is worthwhile.

dsc03938_thumb-paint-jpg.175090

Gary/Mudrak says the the only other difference other than what’s been mentioned on the front is that the disc backing plate has vents. I’m ditching those backing plates anyway since I’m going with the 4Runner V6 break set up. Which requires the backing plates to be trimmed or removed altogether and fitted with a backing plate eliminator, which I picked up from Mark’s off-road.

As for the rear axle since mine is an early ‘83 I have no sway bar axle perch mounts for the 62 sway bar I’ll also be adding.

Gears can yes, be swapped anytime.

Looks like I’m good to go for now.

Chime in if you think I’m missing something.

Thanks everyone for the input.
This forum rocks!!

No reason to swap as they are close enough to the same. You can just swap 3rds or regear if you want the 4.11 gearing from and F62.

If you're going to the trouble you might consider an FZJ80 axle in the rear of your FJ60. It's wider, full flat and has disc brakes.

@cruisermatt made a comment a while back that what he's read (somewhere around here) is that the 62 truss reinforced axle housing, which appears to look stronger than the 60 axle housing - actually isn't. It just looks like it is. But I don't know.

Correct and you beat me to it - the 62 housing does have a truss on the long side however this truss only goes about half the length of the housing, and is thin stamped steel like the rest of the housing, so it does virtually nothing. As Mace said it’s not where these housings bend anyway, they go at the knuckle balls.

Just to ask my BJ60 has a full floater rear axle, could the disk brakes from an 80 series be swapped to this axle? Thanks

Just to ask my BJ60 has a full floater rear axle, could the disk brakes from an 80 series be swapped to this axle? Thanks

No, and much easier to just swap and entire 80 series axle!

Stock axles will be adequate then for that and mild to medium off road use. Keep in mind that if you are going on ski trips, and driving in wintery weather, ice melt that is used on roads will eat up a fj60 body. The sheet metal toyota used in the 80s was poorly treated metal that rusts easier than metal they used in the 70s or 90s.

Stock axles will be adequate then for that and mild to medium off road use. Keep in mind that if you are going on ski trips, and driving in wintery weather, ice melt that is used on roads will eat up a fj60 body. The sheet metal toyota used in the 80s was poorly treated metal that rusts easier than metal they used in the 70s or 90s.
Yes, that’s my thinking. My truck is in great shape and I’d like to keep it that way, hence my tear down a clean up. Under the truck is all original. Time for a deep clean and rust prevention. By the end of the clean up I’d like the underside to be ready to take on another 30+ years.

In some cases you might also get sway bar mounts.

all 60 and 62 front axles in the US have sway bars, 62 rears would also have them but not rear 60 axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom