FJ60 vs FJ62 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In some cases you might also get sway bar mounts.
I’ve already ordered the rear bar, end links, bushings and mounting brackets to the frame. Will have my shop install after I sand blast and paint the parts. I’m quite confident in his ability to fab up a simple axle mount for the sway bar as my early ‘83 does not have one.

No reason to swap as they are close enough to the same. You can just swap 3rds or regear if you want the 4.11 gearing from and F62.

If you're going to the trouble you might consider an FZJ80 axle in the rear of your FJ60. It's wider, full flat and has disc brakes.

But the parking brake on the 80 is less effective than the 60 series p-brake, at least in my very limited 80 series experience.

I agree. 80 parking brake is not self adjusting and so often poorly adjusted. But the axle has other benefits that make up for that shortcoming!

Yes, that’s my thinking. My truck is in great shape and I’d like to keep it that way, hence my tear down a clean up. Under the truck is all original. Time for a deep clean and rust prevention. By the end of the clean up I’d like the underside to be ready to take on another 30+ years.
One of the areas to address for preventing rust is enclosed body channels like the A pillars and rockers where rust can hide, as well as rust in between spot welds.

Aside from what everyone else said.
I have two questions.
1. Why is a shop doing this? (No room or time?)
2. Why are you thinking of this in the first place?

As for the axle about the only thing you get is the 4:10 gears, but then you only need the third members for that.
Lots of guys recommend putting the front third member in the back as the gears would have less wear.

Save your pennies and replace the rear with a full floater. If your axle ever breaks then you do not have to worry about being completely stranded as you could limp home. That and some other locker options open up.
If you are lucky and find one out of a non North America 6x series then they are just bolt in.

I always have a shop rebuild the third members, just easier and less concern if I got that pattern right.
That said I always rebuild the axle myself. It is about as easy as you will get, especially with a leaf sprung axle. Only thing you really need is a slide hammer and bearing puller, they can be rented. Not much to line up unlike coil springs.

Aside from what everyone else said.
I have two questions.
1. Why is a shop doing this? (No room or time?)
2. Why are you thinking of this in the first place?

As for the axle about the only thing you get is the 4:10 gears, but then you only need the third members for that.
Lots of guys recommend putting the front third member in the back as the gears would have less wear.

Save your pennies and replace the rear with a full floater. If your axle ever breaks then you do not have to worry about being completely stranded as you could limp home. That and some other locker options open up.
If you are lucky and find one out of a non North America 6x series then they are just bolt in.

I always have a shop rebuild the third members, just easier and less concern if I got that pattern right.
That said I always rebuild the axle myself. It is about as easy as you will get, especially with a leaf sprung axle. Only thing you really need is a slide hammer and bearing puller, they can be rented. Not much to line up unlike coil springs.
Gotta have a shop do the work as much as it pains me as I am very capable of doing the work myself, but yes you are correct, no space and no time are the main factors as to why I’ll need a shop handle it.

Having the front axle overhauled, new brakes, all new suspension, steering components, bushings, and so on and on...leaking a tad from the main seal also I’ll prob need to drop the tranny and slap in a new clutch while I’m at it.
And not to mention the random things that will pop up while the truck is apart.
I just don’t have the time and no space.
The death wobbles have raised their ugly head recently and with the lady driving the truck from time to time on ski runs up to Tahoe, I just need to get this done and done right.

Gotta have a shop do the work as much as it pains me as I am very capable of doing the work myself, but yes you are correct, no space and no time are the main factors as to why I’ll need a shop handle it.

Having the front axle overhauled, new brakes, all new suspension, steering components, bushings, and so on and on...leaking a tad from the main seal also I’ll prob need to drop the tranny and slap in a new clutch while I’m at it.
And not to mention the random things that will pop up while the truck is apart.
I just don’t have the time and no space.
The death wobbles have raised their ugly head recently and with the lady driving the truck from time to time on ski runs up to Tahoe, I just need to get this done and done right.

Know the feeling and have been there on have a shop do things. Now I have a garage so it is on me.

I would just leave it as is, or get a set of third members, but with stock tires and f you do not have a 5-speed, you better off with the 3:70 gears I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom