FJ60 sleeping platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The ‘problem’ with sleeping above your gear is that you’re too close to the roof. That’s my experience anyway. I didn’t like it at all. Too claustrophobic.

For one person camping, modifying the passenger seat so it can fold down completely flat 180°, and filling in the dips with towels & an air mattress is the ultimate comfortable FJ60 solo camping bed.

This is a cool product. I've seen something similar that will let someone sleep across both front seats. With the two, a whole family could sleep in the truck it seems.

I like being able to sit up so I sleep on the floor of my 4runner. I use half the floor and on the other half, I built a wooden platform that almost goes to the roof for most of my stuff. Works well for 1 person.

Cool, but not off road friendly. That thing is going to bounce around like crazy as soon as you leave the pavement.

The ‘problem’ with sleeping above your gear is that you’re too close to the roof. That’s my experience anyway. I didn’t like it at all. Too claustrophobic.

For one person camping, modifying the passenger seat so it can fold down completely flat 180°, and filling in the dips with towels & an air mattress is the ultimate comfortable FJ60 solo camping bed.
Have you done the fold flat mod? I’d be interested in that for my 40 as well.

Have you done the fold flat mod? I’d be interested in that for my 40 as well.
I slept in my FJ60 every night on the folded down passenger seat.... for years.
It was (and is) the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in - in my entire life.

1. You’re facing forward and can see out the windshield- or block off the windshield with a sun visor.
  2. Your head is right next to the rear window so you can adjust the window easily for air during the night
  3. You can skooch back a bit then prop your head against the passenger seat back rest if you want.
  4. The cabin light is within reach
  5. You can leave it as your bed while driving then just pull over at night, roll over and go to sleep- anywhere. No setup.
I ended up cutting out the glove box bottom support so that my legs/feet could fit easily.
Once that glove box cross bar is removed, a 5 gallon jerry can can fit on the floor upright.

D09901D6-525B-492F-94A0-3C670B47B512.jpeg

I slept in my FJ60 every night on the folded down passenger seat.... for years.
It was (and is) the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in - in my entire life.

1. You’re facing forward and can see out the windshield- or block off the windshield with a sun visor.
  2. Your head is right next to the rear window so you can adjust the window easily for air during the night
  3. You can skooch back a bit then prop your head against the passenger seat back rest if you want.
  4. The cabin light is within reach
  5. You can leave it as your bed while driving then just pull over at night, roll over and go to sleep- anywhere. No setup.
I ended up cutting out the glove box bottom support so that my legs/feet could fit easily.
Once that glove box cross bar is removed, a 5 gallon jerry can can fit on the floor upright.

View attachment 3450621
Nice. I’ll leave to look at the mechanism to see what’s involved in folding the seat forward.

Hey all- thanks to @buoytech for sending a quick email to alert me to the thread. I'm behind Pacific Adventure Works, based in Santa Cruz. I want to be respectful of forum rules with businesses so the aim of this post is to answer questions and explain the story but not necessarily promote the product. Please let me know if I cross the line and I'll be happy to move it to another thread.

This site has helped me in huge ways over the last 7 years of owning my 60. I've mostly been a lurker but have posted a few times- mostly when I finally conquered my CA smog issues.

The story behind the brand is this: After working in the outdoor industry doing product development and product management for brands like Thule and Dometic I decided to go out on my own. I'm an outdoor guy and I was done with a roof top tent but I still wanted some way to be more self contained on my camping trips to go fly fish, surf, mountain bike, ski, dirtbike etc. I figured a sleeping platform would be awesome so I could store my gear underneath and still have room for my wife and I in the truck. Insulated, dry, and quiet. I didn't want to build anything out of wood because its heavy and not easily removeable. Plus it wasn't very adjustable. So I starting designing and building and messing around with a build based on tubing. A bunch of surf trips, Sierra missions, and a rafting trip helped me refine the design you see now. I'm happy with it.

It sets up and takes down really quickly. Packs down small (rolls up like a burrito and fits in that odd space behind the seats between the wheel wells). Telescopes in length to tailor fit your vehicle and adjusts in height for different types of gear. Its rugged too- 6063 aluminum tubing, glass filled polypropylene connectors, stainless steel hardware and 500D Cordura fabric. Everything is designed, sourced, processed and manufactured in USA with final assembly in Santa Cruz. I'm really proud of that for many reasons.

Its certainly not made for everyone. If you want a permanent platform either build it yourself or go Goose Gear or something. This product is not for you.

Let me know if anyone has specific questions or feedback- thanks for the support MUD!

9B931843-51BB-44F8-8A07-20D1C7C4BB9D.JPG

Since it seems we're talking sleeping arrangements, I'll share what I did. This rack elevated all my gear up 13" so I could sleep on the floor on a 3" thick Ikea mattress. I can sit up comfortably inside, 2 people can fit between the wheel wells (admittedly a bit tight). The fridge pivots up and locks level with the stove, which you can see in a cubby right behind my pup, and then my kitchen boxes sit on another shelf level above that. Water is secured upper left, CO2 is secured lower left. Entire frame is 1" square tube, welded, and bolted to factory bolt holes. This setup was in my 4Runner before the LandCruiser, probably have over 10k off-road miles on this setup and well over 200 nights over the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Hey all- thanks to @buoytech for sending a quick email to alert me to the thread. I'm behind Pacific Adventure Works, based in Santa Cruz. I want to be respectful of forum rules with businesses so the aim of this post is to answer questions and explain the story but not necessarily promote the product. Please let me know if I cross the line and I'll be happy to move it to another thread.

This site has helped me in huge ways over the last 7 years of owning my 60. I've mostly been a lurker but have posted a few times- mostly when I finally conquered my CA smog issues.

The story behind the brand is this: After working in the outdoor industry doing product development and product management for brands like Thule and Dometic I decided to go out on my own. I'm an outdoor guy and I was done with a roof top tent but I still wanted some way to be more self contained on my camping trips to go fly fish, surf, mountain bike, ski, dirtbike etc. I figured a sleeping platform would be awesome so I could store my gear underneath and still have room for my wife and I in the truck. Insulated, dry, and quiet. I didn't want to build anything out of wood because its heavy and not easily removeable. Plus it wasn't very adjustable. So I starting designing and building and messing around with a build based on tubing. A bunch of surf trips, Sierra missions, and a rafting trip helped me refine the design you see now. I'm happy with it.

It sets up and takes down really quickly. Packs down small (rolls up like a burrito and fits in that odd space behind the seats between the wheel wells). Telescopes in length to tailor fit your vehicle and adjusts in height for different types of gear. Its rugged too- 6063 aluminum tubing, glass filled polypropylene connectors, stainless steel hardware and 500D Cordura fabric. Everything is designed, sourced, processed and manufactured in USA with final assembly in Santa Cruz. I'm really proud of that for many reasons.

Its certainly not made for everyone. If you want a permanent platform either build it yourself or go Goose Gear or something. This product is not for you.

Let me know if anyone has specific questions or feedback- thanks for the support MUD!

Obvious questions here, but price, release date, MUD discount:)?

This looks like a great idea. I have used the truck bed airbedz air mattress in the back of my 62 before. It fits perfectly. But I like the idea of gear storage or at very least bag storage under the bed. I am watching for preorder

I used to sleep in my 60 and built a sleeping platform that was the same height as the wheelwells basically, so like 6 inches off the deck, This thing is neat, if you could lower it down to the 6 inch range the headroom from the roof wouldnt be anywhere near as bad. Why couldnt we get the high roofs here jesus

Obvious questions here, but price, release date, MUD discount:)?
Sorry for the delay….

We opened up pre orders at the end of October for delivery in January. Once we are into January we should be in stock.

The pricing is:

Hideaway Single $599
Hideaway Double $699
Hideaway XL $799

We aren’t able to do discounts of any kind yet but we may in the future ;)

Check out our website www.pacificadventureworks.com and instagram instagram.com/pacificadventureworks to see photos, specs, install video, etc.

Let me know if any questions!

Sorry for the delay….

We opened up pre orders at the end of October for delivery in January. Once we are into January we should be in stock.

The pricing is:

Hideaway Single $599
Hideaway Double $699
Hideaway XL $799

We aren’t able to do discounts of any kind yet but we may in the future ;)

Check out our website www.pacificadventureworks.com and instagram instagram.com/pacificadventureworks to see photos, specs, install video, etc.

Let me know if any questions!

does that come with the mattress too? or just platform and boxspring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom