Engine bay platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
So I want to mount some onboard air in my engine bay. I plan to remove the carb cooling fan and use the 4 unused bolts in the pic. Couple questions:

1. To remove the fan there is one bolt under the mechanism that helps the hood raise up. Any tips on removal...seems like I would be unbolting something with a lot of tension on it.

2. Anyone else fashioned a flat surface here to mount anything or have any other suggestions before I go down this path? The compressor is a Viair that I got a really good deal on off FB marketplace. Want to mount and then get a cover for it. Thinking an ATV winch cover would work.
PXL_20231023_173142508.MP.jpg

First off - if you're carbureted, keep the fan. It works very well for heat soak.

That said - just remove it....the spring just takes some of the weight of the hood, nothing is going to spring or hurt you, just have the hood supported with the prop rod so you aren't juggling.

If you want something easy to mount to, use the plate that the emissions parts bolt to. Once you unbolt the sub-assy brackets you have a flat surface to work with.

1698083179854.png

Just remove it....the spring just takes some of the weight of the hood, nothing is going to spring or hurt you, just have the hood supported with the prop rod so you aren't juggling.

If you want something easy to mount to, use the plate that the emissions parts bolt to. Once you unbolt the emissions brackets you have a flat surface to work with.

View attachment 3463340
Darn it, I got rid of all that stuff when I desmogged a long time ago. Wonder where I could find one.

If you’re not using two batteries, a 2nd battery tray fits nicely on the passenger side next to the radiator- like the main battery tray, and then you’ll have a nice big flat surface to mount your compressor.
I personally wouldn’t ever ditch the carburetor fan.

If you’re not using two batteries, a 2nd battery tray fits nicely on the passenger side next to the radiator- like the main battery tray, and then you’ll have a nice big flat surface to mount your compressor.
I personally wouldn’t ever ditch the carburetor fan.
That's a thought. Are there already holes drilled for a second battery tray? And where could I order one?

That's a thought. Are there already holes drilled for a second battery tray? And where could I order one?

Yes, the holes are already present. They're likely only holes and you'll need to use a bolt + nut for mounting a tray.

Yes, the holes are already present. They're likely only holes and you'll need to use a bolt + nut for mounting a tray.
Who sells it?

The diesel HJ60 came stock with dual battery trays (24V system). Back in the day.... Toyota sold all the mounting hardware for both trays. And who knows?
Maybe the support arm for the 2nd tray is still available from overseas.
The link below will give you the part numbers

Yep, holes are there. I ordered a new battery tray. It appears it will mount without relocating the radiator overflow, but I will probably want to. What is the solution for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom