FJ60 security options ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, So we I spent a lot of hours, and money fixing this truck up to be what we want. Any now we can drive it around, which mean we will be parking it all over. It gets attention (which is awesome and I love when people want to talk about it), BUT I am very concerned about security.

What has everyone done in terms of anti-theft, locks, etc. ?

I want to make sure it is always there when I come back.

In 30 years only 2 or 3 people ever said anything about my 60. These antiques are really only interesting to enthusiasts. To everyone else it’s just an old truck.

That said - I did have an ignition kill switch and always used a steering wheel lock.

Following.

These trucks are becoming more coveted and will thus definitely get stolen.

I was just about to post a thread on this very topic since, after I mentioned to a friend here in Munich my plan to import my restored 60 here he asked "Aren't you scared it will get stolen right away?"
I used to have a '68 Volvo 122S SW (God I wish I still had it, lol.) that had a hidden ignition button on it that was a pretty effective anti-theft device. I might do that on my 60 before I ship it.
And a steering wheel lock and chip it.

A buddy had his 40 stolen recently. There are lots of great tips in his thread. Main points are having a diversity of systems is great. Kill switch + tracker of some kind would be ideal.

In 30 years only 2 or 3 people ever said anything about my 60. These antiques are really only interesting to enthusiasts. To everyone else it’s just an old truck.

That said - I did have an ignition kill switch and always used a steering wheel lock.

Strange, I have only had mine for 2 years, usually every day I drive it into the city somebody says something.

Reactions: OSS
Im going on a 3 day hiking trip, I decided to leave the 62 at home, as I don’t want to leave it for 3 days in a parking lot. I figured I’m asking to have it stolen.

I think investing in a good tracking device is a good idea, and a steering wheel lock as well. I’m honestly not sure how you’d stop somebody from stealing a primarily mechanical vehicle.

My neighbour used to have a BJ60, and told me stories about it sometimes.
He told me he once left his BJ60 overnight at a motel, and Thieves broke in, and got it started. But couldn’t get it to move because he left the the transfer case in neutral. Ever since he told me that, I sometimes do it as an extra precaution.

Nothing is fool proof, but ONE of the things I use is a Flaming River battery cutoff from the battery to the starter. This particular one has a padlock to lock the on/off. Not fool proof…and one of the things I use.

IMG_9630.png

IMG_9631.png

IMG_9632.png

IMG_9633.png

I like the transfer case in neutral trick!

I have my ignition fuse made easy to pull out with a little tape, you could even put a known bad fuse in there as a dummy;).

Anyone ever thought of putting in a valve in the fuel line? I'm thinking an easy to reach twist valve. Yeah, they could get it going and go somewhere but it would die along the way. Combine that with a tacking device and it could be a good extra precaution.

Anyone ever thought of putting in a valve in the fuel line? I'm thinking an easy to reach twist valve. Yeah, they could get it going and go somewhere but it would die along the way. Combine that with a tacking device and it could be a good extra precaution.
I would suggest any security measure used should be very reliable and or easy to bypass in the field. I would be nervous about that valve failing at the wrong time. Either seizing up or leaking.

hidden kill switch + steering wheel lock is my method. I had a tracker for a while but never really worked properly

I would suggest any security measure used should be very reliable and or easy to bypass in the field. I would be nervous about that valve failing at the wrong time. Either seizing up or leaking.
Yeah, fair enough.

A buddy had his 40 stolen recently. There are lots of great tips in his thread. Main points are having a diversity of systems is great. Kill switch + tracker of some kind would be ideal.
Land Cruiser Anti-Theft Harness - https://cruiser-cult.myshopify.com/products/land-cruiser-kill-switch

Are these still available? I know there's not many details on purpose, but seems like ignition kill switch in effect?

My neighbour used to have a BJ60, and told me stories about it sometimes.
He told me he once left his BJ60 overnight at a motel, and Thieves broke in, and got it started. But couldn’t get it to move because he left the the transfer case in neutral. Ever since he told me that, I sometimes do it as an extra precaution.
I park my 60 on the street in front of my house every night - because it doesn’t fit in the garage - and I live pretty close to downtown in a big city. Knock on wood, but no trouble so far. I do leave the transfer case in neutral next to 2Lo - hopefully the fact that the 2Lo mod isn’t represented on the shifter knob throws people off even further. The fact that each one of these trucks has its own special starting procedure (choke, pump throttle, feather throttle, etc) is a small layer of security too.

I have plans for a hidden kill switch but haven’t executed it yet. Haven’t found a foolproof way to do a tracker yet - I don’t want a monthly subscription and the Apple ones will notify anyone with an iPhone.

In the past I’ve heard mention of fuel cutoffs and I like that idea - the thief gets excited because the vehicle starts but then when it dies at the end of the block they’ll ditch it. I’d rather they do that then start hacking wires or messing around in the engine bay trying to get it started in the first place. The fuel cut rod seems like it would make them give up more quickly after the false hope of driving a couple hundred yards.

^^^

It is very easy to remove the speakers from the Apple Air Tags… very.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom