FJ60 Power Steering pump with bad leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My power steering pump in my '83 FJ60 has a significantly bad power steering leak. It is so bad that when it completely runs out of fluid and I try to refill it, it runs straight through it in about 3 or 4 days. I'm wondering whether or not it is best to have the pump rebuilt or just purchase a new one, and if so, where and what would I get for the new one.

I've "heard" that a quality reseal kit isn't available for these. I could be wrong though. I have an old one that I'd like to rebuild myself, if I could. A new OEM is still available for between $400-$500 bucks. Not very cheap But they sure look nice. You can search online, go to your local dealer, or contact @beno for one.

Keep in mind that a fresh pump will probably exploit the weak seals in your gearbox, so you'll probably need to rebuild that as well. However, OEM kits are available for the gearbox (about $150ish), as well as a much cheaper Rockauto seal kit. There are early model gearboxes, and later model gearboxes. Be sure and get the correct kit.

Sag is a great option but I have heard from one who went that route that shortly after he had to rebuild his gear box. (If you rebuild and buy the cheaper rockauto kit ~$40, you'll need to also order two control rings from Toyota at $11.25 each as the ones in the kit are too loose).

Not always is it necessary to rebuild the gear box when you 'upgrade' to the Sag. I did the Sag last month and the gear box is fine...300+k on the gear box...a bit less than 1k on the Sag...but a lot of that was wheeling.

Probably about time to rebuild most of these gear boxes anyway...including mine.

I've "heard" that a quality reseal kit isn't available for these. I could be wrong though. I have an old one that I'd like to rebuild myself, if I could.
Here's an explanation from @Cruiserdrew:

"People have not had much success rebuilding FJ60 pumps. There is a non-replacable bushing that wears out, and is still worn out after the seals are replaced. So it fails again in short order."

The FJ62 pump design uses a bearing, making a successful rebuild possible. An inexpensive alternative for the FJ62 replacement bearing is a Suzuki motorcycle bearing (from @cruiserbrett):

FJ62 Power Steering Pump Rebuild

Here's an explanation from @Cruiserdrew:

"People have not had much success rebuilding FJ60 pumps. There is a non-replacable bushing that wears out, and is still worn out after the seals are replaced. So it fails again in short order."

The FJ62 pump design uses a bearing, making a successful rebuild possible. An inexpensive alternative for the FJ62 replacement bearing is a Suzuki motorcycle bearing (from @cruiserbrett):

FJ62 Power Steering Pump Rebuild
I'd read that too when I looked into a used one to rebuild. And I believe I stumbled on this thread as well. Good to see it again. So if the 60 pump wears out swap it w/ a 62 (they swap easily?) and if it needs to be rebuilt, replace the bearing as described above?

62 & 60 PS pumps are not interchangeable. If your 60 leaks and/or goes out, the only good option is to replace it, either with a NEW OEM ($4-500) or convert to Saginaw ($60 + $130 for the mounting kit from Georg).

I've purchased 2 used OEM pumps, one worked fine for a year, the other less than a year. I've rebuilt 2 other OEM pumps, one lasted several months and the other several weeks.

Now I've converted to the Saginaw using the mounting kit from Georg. So far the results are good.

I switched to Sag. Made my own adapter before kit was available.
Steers great, much smoother than Toyota pump. Pump was $45 from Napa. About 5000 miles now, no leaking box.
This is one area where Toyota isn't the best. Make the switch, you won't regret it.

If you go to a Sag, i will sell you my kit i got from Georg (you still need a pump). I decided i am keeping my FJ60 as much toyota as possible.

So, Saginaw pumps have different mounting options (single mounting hole in front, vs. second mounting hole on the back of the pump), plus different high pressure line fittings (flare vs. o-ring). What application Saginaw pump are you guys using for the pump? Parts houses, such as NAPA, deal in year/make/model application. Any help from those that have swapped regarding what year/make/model to get a pump from would be greatly appreciated. Also, what changes are you guys making regarding lines running to/from steering box?

Thanks,
Nik

Contact Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids (@orangefj45 ) for the kit and all the specifics.

City racer also offers a oem like replacement for reasonable monies.

Quality Aftermarket Pump, plug 'n play:

City racer also offers a oem like replacement for reasonable monies.
Just not sure that I want to use a kit just yet. I can fabricate my own brackets. Looking to see what pump guys are using that did this swap before companies started making the kits. I may still end up buying a kit. Just looking into whether I need to or not first.

Just not sure that I want to use a kit just yet. I can fabricate my own brackets. Looking to see what pump guys are using that did this swap before companies started making the kits. I may still end up buying a kit. Just looking into whether I need to or not first.

The city racer pump is a direct oem swap. No special mounts needed. Needs a different connection line but no big deal getting that.

$210

0C19CA42-08E9-456E-88C2-951AA22DC758.png

Georg isn’t greedy. Get in touch with him, he’ll tell you what pump and pulley.

If you have a Volvo wrecker or yard with old Volvo’s close ,I believe a mid 80’s Volvo 240 Diesel power steering pump has a 19mm wide pulley and the correct metric pressure fitting for the existing Toyota pressure line.

The 1980’s Saab’s with the 8v engines have Saginaw pumps too. Passenger side mounted near the fire wall. Engines in Saab’s are mounted with belts near the firewall. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom