FJ60 power steering on ‘78 FJ40 parts list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All
I’ve searched and the results are overwhelming and all over the place with opinions and suggestions. What I need help with is a straight forward list of parts I need to convert a 1978 FJ40 (uS-LHD) that has a 1975 2F in it to POwer Steering using FJ60 parts.

I’m not interested in Saginaw or elect steering.

Does anyone have the complete list of FJ60 parts and brackets for this upgrade?

Thanks

No ready made list unfortunately. Everybody that has done it has had a different set of circumstances, parts and end results to deal with. You can try Iron Pig Offroad for a kit, that would be the easiest. I've been collecting parts and gathering information for quite some time myself. Good luck.

No ready made list unfortunately. Everybody that has done it has had a different set of circumstances, parts and end results to deal with. You can try Iron Pig Offroad for a kit, that would be the easiest. I've been collecting parts and gathering information for quite some time myself. Good luck.
Yeah
That’s exactly where I’m at…every time I think I know what I need to get …I read someone’s opinion that throws a curveball into my plan

I’ll check out iron pig thanks !

I’m not saying the IPOR kit wouldn’t be a good way to go, but it seem expensive…

If you were able to snag all the FJ60 “stuff” off your donor vehicle, the only things I recall that I had to work were:

Welding the scab plate to the frame
Tapping the 4 holes
Making sure the TREs had the correct taper.
Interference with the steering shaft with Ford Shock towers.
PS pump tensioner (used a Toyota part)

I did have the luxury of pulling the entire PS Assembly off a “Cash for Clunkers” truck.

I also changed the column to the FJ-55 one, I bought that through Mud.

BUT I AGREE…. everyone’s rig can be different…

I’ll try & find more info on my conversion…

Rocky

Look in FAQ's, At the top of that section look in "tech links" and also scroll down in FAQ's to steering. Include in your search scout steering. FJ60, FJ80 and scout power steering are very similar in their setup. My 1st Scout steering conversion, I followed along with a lot recommendations posted on this website but had to do certain things specific to my application. They're are somethings I did that I am changing on my 2nd scout steering. I never really cared for like using the ford shock tower and the pillow block bolted to the firewall. On my 2nd conversion I wanted a cleaner install, like moving altering and using the stk shock tower and for my specific application, not scabbing the outside of the frame. I've also altered the stk fender to clear the box rather than cutting a large opening to clear the box. Everybody does it slightly different. Figuring out where to mount the box so it will play with all the other components and its surroundings is critical.

I've also altered the stk fender to clear the box rather than cutting a large opening to clear the box. Everybody does it slightly different. Figuring out where to mount the box so it will play with all the other components and its surroundings is critical.

Do you have a build where this is detailed? Like this approach. Always see the fender hacked out for where the box lives.

Currently waiting on parts but I’m in the middle of this conversion myself. I’m using:
Borgeson Vibration Dampening U-Joint #154925 at the box end
Borgeson 24” Telescopic Steering Shaft #450024
(Not sure steering wheel you’ll be using, but you’ll want to grab the appropriate u-joint for that end)
Stock FJ60 Power Steering Box and Pitman Arm

Planning on using a 70 series drag link assembly with a 70 series end at the pitman arm and an FJ40 driver side tie rod end on the passenger side that connects to the tie rod end with the eye. I’ll have more pics this weekend hopefully when my parts arrive.

1638489296385.jpeg

1638489329714.jpeg

If your not confused yet, you can check out my build. Power steering starts around post 51. I have undiagnosed ADD, so I tend to jump around a lot. As far as a parts list I’ll give you mine:

FJ80 box
FJ80 intermediate shaft
Ujoint to connect the oem column and intermediate shaft FJ80 pitarm
One FJ80 TRE @ the pitarm
Custom tie rod and drag link ( front range offroad)
Three FJ60 TRE’s
Homemade mounting plate
Mini truck steering arms( they came w/my disc brakes)
Fj80 supply line
Parts store return line
Mid 80’s Chevy pump( I had a SBC)
Wheelbarrow bearing in the firewall( not sure it was needed)

Honestly- removing the old stuff is mentally the hardest part. After that it’s a bit of head scratching and smiling. Here’s my random thoughts.
  • The mounting plate is pretty easy, just look at the box on the frame and find where you like it.
  • Some people cut into the radiator support for clearance, but my plate spaced it out enough to avoid the need.
  • Like @pb4ugo, I reused the stock shock tower and just moved it back.
  • I think @subzali has a good right up that I followed.
  • The ujoint is splined one one side to mesh with the 80 collapsible shaft(safer). On the other side, I ground two flat spots on the oem column to make a double D mounting surface.
  • The only reason I say the wheelbarrow might not be needed, is I didn’t see a whole lot of improvement. To be fair, I didn’t have much slop. I did it because a couple people, wiser than me, recommended it and, honestly, it’s easy and cheap.
  • This is a very good upgrade if you’re running bigger tires. Over 38’s I’d look at Saginaw or possibly assist.

Do you have a build where this is detailed? Like this approach. Always see the fender hacked out for where the box lives.

I dont have a build thread. I have chimed in on a lot of scout steering threads that you can search for. Past performance doesn't guarantee future results. This fender mod may not work on yours. It may not work for me either, but I feel my odds are good. Time will tell. There's a real good chance my scout box is in a different location than yours & I'm not a body work kinda person.

20211109_000541.jpg

20211109_000417.jpg
20211109_000541.jpg

Last edited:
I think I still have a link in my signature. The @PabloCruise thread is what I went by.

When I did my PS conversion in 2019 I used 95% Toyota parts. No build thread but I can shoot a few pictures if needed. Every conversion is a little different though, hopefully this helps.

I had previously swapped in a FJ60 2F block/head/valve cover and mated my 76 era accessories to it. It has the right holes to bolt on the 60 series PS pump so I went this route instead of a Saginaw pump. I had replaced the 40 series tie rod ends earlier as well, this made my particular conversion a little easier.

I had to source these parts,

FJ60 steering box
FJ60 pump
FJ60 high pressure hose, pitman arm and drag link
FJ60 lower steering shaft - x2
FJ55 steering column
FJ40 tie rod and fan belt

Mounting the box perfectly is critical, make sure it's strong. For my application I chose to not use a scab plate, notched the shock tower and inner fender, plus moved the whole radiator assembly 1 inch to the passenger side to clear the box.

I had to fabricate a custom relay rod and steering shaft. Decided to use as many Toyota parts as possible and had a professional weld them up. The relay rod is a hybrid 40 series tie rod/relay rod welded together and shortened to the correct length. The 60 series drag link has the same thread pitch as one end of the tie rod. It was easier for me to fab this instead of trying to track down a 70 series relay rod. The steering shaft is made from 2 shortened lower 60 series shafts butt welded and sleeved together to perfectly connect the 60 box to the 55 column using the OEM U joints. Splines are identical between the box and column, no pillow block is necessary and it will compress a couple inches if needed.

Also installed an in line fluid cooler for the low pressure pump hose plus fabbed a bracket and tensioner pulley for the 60 series pump mounted where the smog pump usually resides.

Took many hours to complete but I am very satisfied with the results. Turns my 35s easily and the cruiser is so much easier to drive. I am much more confident with my fab skills after attempting this. Wish I had done this 20 years ago.

Disassembly of the old steering parts and making sure the box was in the perfect spot took the longest. I think I spent about $800 for everything. Good luck! 👍

Last edited:
Iron Pig’s kit is expensive because it includes EVERYTHING. Including the box, pump, belt etc. 40% of the price is the box and pump.
Im sure if you called them they would sell you the drag link, column, weld plate etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom