FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is anybody in need of a factory power steering pump mount (made by PabloCruise) for their non-tapped block (i.e. pre-1979)? I need one and want to know if anybody else is interested in order to make it worth PabloCruise's time.

Now I found some info in a thread over in the 55 section that included info about using 70 series rods when you put 60 knuckles on a 40/55 axle housing.

The thread:
First Time Pig "Build"
The posts:

Not sure why the p/n's change between postings, I have asked Wayne for clarification.

Seems like these links don't work so well now - not sure why.

Is anybody in need of a factory power steering pump mount (made by PabloCruise) for their non-tapped block (i.e. pre-1979)? I need one and want to know if anybody else is interested in order to make it worth PabloCruise's time.
I'm looking for a setup bracket for my 77 FJ40.
Any leads?

excellent thread you guys.. i know its been a while like 10 years but do any of you by chance still have info on the year make model of the 70 that the part were originally designed for. If someone has a vin.. that would make getting the right parts even easier.. I contacted Toyota dealer and they restrict the sale of steering parts unless you provide appropriate VIN.. so a Vin would be nice if anyone has one.. Thanks Guys -Joe

excellent thread you guys.. i know its been a while like 10 years but do any of you by chance still have info on the year make model of the 70 that the part were originally designed for. If someone has a vin.. that would make getting the right parts even easier.. I contacted Toyota dealer and they restrict the sale of steering parts unless you provide appropriate VIN.. so a Vin would be nice if anyone has one.. Thanks Guys -Joe

Order from Canada (place called Canadian 4WD or something like that) and have it shipped to you. If I remember right you could use a 1985 BJ70 and it’s the driver side tie rod end. It will come attached to the tie rod if I remember right.

Order from Canada (place called Canadian 4WD or something like that) and have it shipped to you. If I remember right you could use a 1985 BJ70 and it’s the driver side tie rod end. It will come attached to the tie rod if I remember right.

I think that is correct!

Just run the part numbers I posted and see what the application is!

Just run the part numbers I posted and see what the application is!
Our local Toyota stealership won’t let me buy wiper blades without a VIN... I’d hate to think what would happen if I tried to order parts for my disc brakes... or a TRE.

If I talk the right person I may be able to special order a specific PN with a no refund policy. They’d do it for a gas cap... however less likely for a safety item.

Our local Toyota stealership won’t let me buy wiper blades without a VIN... I’d hate to think what would happen if I tried to order parts for my disc brakes... or a TRE.

If I talk the right person I may be able to special order a specific PN with a no refund policy. They’d do it for a gas cap... however less likely for a safety item.

I wonder what would happen if you called over the border into Seattle...

I wonder what would happen if you called over the border into Seattle...
Who knows. Generally they won’t ship parts across the border... and right now driving there is not allowed either.

Based on the prices I’m seeing posted, I’m seriously reevaluating sticking with OEM parts. I’ve not had to replace a rod in 26 years... so paying $400-500 (or more) to keep it stock vs $100/hour for a machine/fabrication shop to fabricate something become a harder choice.

45451-60100 "relay rod"

45461-60100 "Tie rod"

then just get a TRE kit from Kurt @cruiseroutfitters.

sorry, no help with a vin #.

Kurt sells the J7X drag link and tie rods as well... don’t forget to get clamps/bolts. Prices in line with the stealership (maybe a bit better) but the service is beyond reproach. 👍

cheers
Crusty

Last edited:
Who knows. Generally they won’t ship parts across the border... and right now driving there is not allowed either.

Based on the prices I’m seeing posted, I’m seriously reevaluating sticking with OEM parts. I’ve not had to replace a rod in 26 years... so paying $400-500 (or more) to keep it stock vs $100/hour for a machine/fabrication shop to fabricate something become a harder choice.
SUA and oem is the expensive way to go for sure.

it’s the 21mm ends on the relay(drag link) that’s the kicker, nobody makes a bung or weld able insert for the smaller ends.

if your drag link connects to your high steer arm and you can use all J8X tierod ends... there are more options ie: make your own links with DOM threaded or weld in.

I’ve bent plenty of stock links over the years... but I’m sticking with SUA and OEM parts on this truck, for now.

cheers
Crusty

45451-60100 "relay rod"

45461-60100 "Tie rod"

then just get a TRE kit from Kurt @cruiseroutfitters.

sorry, no help with a vin #.

Kurt sells the J7X drag link and tie rods as well... don’t forget to get clamps/bolts. Prices in line with the stealership (maybe a bit better) but the service is beyond reproach. 👍

cheers
Crusty
Thanks Crusty!

Just to be clear, are those xJ-70 part numbers?

Do those rods come with ends on them?

Thanks Crusty!

Just to be clear, are those xJ-70 part numbers?

Do those rods come with ends on them?
Yes, J7X rods. Torfab posted those part numbers in “wanted” thread I started.

No ends included (just clamps) when I checked at my local stealership on Monday.

Cruiseroutfitters has those rods available as well as tie rod end kits at a better price point than what I could get north of the border 🤨. Although shipping, exchange and taxes usually kills any savings for Canadians

I’d recon that Kurt would be your best bet for “one stop shop”.

Cheers
Crusty

you all do know there are different lengths of steering stabilizers? here are 2 i had on my list that are toyota applications.
MONROE SC2946 16.5”-25.6” and MONROE SC2916 13.25-22.25”
I just hadn't gone lock to lock to measure the distance. I also have a few different stabilizers sitting in the garage to test fit.
I still need to measure the mounts at full turn to passenger side.

Well, well, well!

I think I have some good news for those following the latest about how make a relay rod/drag link using factory parts...

I found some part numbers for BJ-70 parts (thanks cruiser_guy :cheers:) that yielded a passenger side relay rod end with tube assembly and a driver side relay rod end (connects to pitman arm) with tube assembly.

So I ended up with an extra tube assembly once I put both ends on the same tube.

Part number 45045-60H01 buys you the PS end w/ tube
Part number 45044-60H03 buys you the DS end w/ tube (left hand threads)

NOTE: the "H" in the part number denotes an assembly vs individual part.

The tube measures 30 3/8 inches
PS end measures about 2 1/2 inches if screwed all the way in
DS end measures about 4 1/2 inches if screwed all the way in
This should yield a relay rod assembly of about 37 3/8 inches.
I need an assembly measuring about 37 7/8 inches

This should work!!! :bounce: :bounce2:
View attachment 414427View attachment 414428View attachment 414429

Here is an update to this post - almost exactly 12 years later!

It seems that the part numbers have changed at some point over the last 12 years.

A complete relay rod, w/ both ends, is now 45450-69086
I found this by searching a LHD BJ73 in PartSouq:

It looks to come with both ends, so that is pretty neat: ROD ASSY, STEERING RELAY 4545069086 | Toyota Parts | PartSouq - https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=45450-69086

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Does anyone make a template for where to mount the steering box on the frame? The frame I'm building is completely stripped, so going off the linkage, etc. is not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom