Fj60 FlyWheel grinding on the block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled out the ol trusty 2f engine repair manual, so the standard crankshaft thrust play is .0024in - .0063in with a maximum allowance of .012in.
The current play i measured is about .0625in making me over the limit by .0505in... now if the crankshaft is ok, i should be ok... i cant find any info readily avalible on the stock factory bearings so i cant determine what can be used to replace my current set. This measurment is inacurate and i will need to use a feeler guage for a precise number, but its a good educated guess

There is a 2f in corpus at my brothers house. It theoretically was rebuilt, used for a short period, then replaced with a v8. If you agree to replace it with a motor of similar condition eventually, I'm pretty sure he'd let it go..

That being said, I have good feelings that the play is being accommodated by the trust bearing (there is only one) and you will be able.to save this motor..

I will know 100% tommoro... i really dont want this block to die. Its theast piece of original drivetrain besides the difs that i have

$2500 seems steep. Can you pull it yourself? Do you have space and tools? It doesn’t take super sophisticated equipment then once it’s apart you can have a shop do the fine detailed work... and would cost a whole lot less.
I myself have done my share of work on my truck in my driveway and I’m just a 5’5” skinny female. The more you can do the more better off you are because you only have yourself to blame or be pissed at if something goes wrong.

Ive rebuilt my h55f before so im sure i could do it... i do know that the cylinder walls are completly glazed over smooth. It will probably need a bore and hone, and i would need to locate a camshaft bearing puller.
If i were to do this rebuild would i need new pistons? how do i measure the bearings to be cut? Where do i find the bearings? Would i need new pistons? Where do i find the pistons for the correct spec? I know that there isnt just a simple rebuild kit and i will need to make it custom to what i need, and should i replace the oil pump or leave it?

Ive rebuilt my h55f before so im sure i could do it... i do know that the cylinder walls are completly glazed over smooth. It will probably need a bore and hone, and i would need to locate a camshaft bearing puller.
If i were to do this rebuild would i need new pistons? how do i measure the bearings to be cut? Where do i find the bearings? Would i need new pistons? Where do i find the pistons for the correct spec? I know that there isnt just a simple rebuild kit and i will need to make it custom to what i need, and should i replace the oil pump or leave it?
You should check out nevergiveupyoda's build thread if you haven't already. She's quite thrifty and handy. Lots to be learned there!

Update. No grinding on the inside of the block where there shouldnt be (besides the flywheel part). Actual thrust play is .054in. All pistons have horizontal play but no vertical play. I think it may still have a chance at life here.

You also need to check the tranny. Get the cast number, and see if it is one of those that needs a constant contact throwout bearing. Since you said engine is only original part of drivetrain. Would order front crank bearing and seal while your at it....

Is likely that the pressure plate is installed backwards too, easy to do.

Last edited:
You also need to check the tranny. Get the cast number, and see if it is one of those that needs a constant contact throwout bearing. Since you said engine is only original part of drivetrain. Would order front crank bearing and seal while your at it....

....what? Its an h55f i rebuilt it less than 40kmiles ago... how could the pressure plate be installed backwards

Y

No, pressure plate only goes on one way, clutch disc can be installed backwards.

....what? Its an h55f i rebuilt it less than 40kmiles ago... how could the pressure plate be installed backwards

If you've been driving it for 40k miles your clutch was installed correctly.

No, pressure plate only goes on one way, clutch disc can be installed backwards.

If you've been driving it for 40k miles your clutch was installed correctly.

Ive put a clutch on backwards before and it dosent engage at all... not sure where your getting this from... maybe check your facts before you post...

Goodwin is correct...

The pressure plate cannot be installed backwards..

The clutch disk can be, and if it is, the clutch will never disengage..

when i installed the h55f i installed the clutch backwards and it didnt work at all. I had to flip it so it would engage... im not debating that a backwards clutch wont work... this isnt about my clutch, this about my crankshaft having too much thrust play

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom