Fj60 FlyWheel grinding on the block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honest answer? If you have 1/2" movement the main journals are likely all trashed as is the crank. Then you have the connecting rods holding the crank in place by the pistons and cylinder walls. The damage could be massive.

Or, if you are lots luckier than I am the block is fine and you just need new bearings..

Pull the pan off and look.

I had this happen to by first Chevy V-8. I was 19 and naive about following every advertised claim in a Hotrod magazine. I got talked into a 4200
lb pressure plate. It took about a year of depressing that clutch to wear out the thrust surfaces without running out of oil. Yours having run
out of oil may have help speed the wear process. As for what I learned... the 10 1/2" 4200lb pressure plate slipped more off road than a 1600 lb
12" clutch and the thrust surfaces will last the life of the motor

Correction, moving the front pulley on the crank i can move the flywheel from 2-3/4in to 2-11/16in. Im not sure if the clutch is blocking the movment any, sorry for the exaggeration lol

2 3/4"? video please.

Or are you saying the movement is more like 1/16"?

Last edited:
This is getting interesting.

Crankplay video
The flywheel is proportional to this movment last i checked when i did the clutch. ive had to take off one of these pulleys before and bent my breaker bar breaking the nut loose, so before anyone says it. I know the pulley is not loose

If thats the crank sliding back and forth in the block then I would wonder if something happened to the thrust bearings. There are usually a set or two in there and either someone was in there and forgot to put them back in, only put one in, or somehow they wore out.

Im pretty sure its the thrust bearings, but i need to pull the oil pan and blah blah. When i do pull the oil pan im gonna make sure im in a position to take it a part and send it off at the same time. I just called up some machine shops and 1 guy turned me down saying "they cant garantee the reliability of the toyota 2f engine, that it wont throw a rod" that and they cant find parts... makes me question his knowledge on these motors...

That is insane. Gotta be thrust bearings.

Have you pulled the oil pan ??

I was reading this while my son was falling asleep next to me... I read it w/ amazement that your still driving it!
Where’s the :popcorn:?!

I’d predict that engine is not repairable. With that much crank walk the block is wrecked, the crank is wrecked. Drive it until it dies and replace the motor.

I’d predict that engine is not repairable. With that much crank walk the block is wrecked, the crank is wrecked. Drive it until it dies and replace the motor.
Or replace the motor before it causes damage to the transmission.
Better yet find out wtf is happening.

Fyi I’m totally not trying to make light of this poor truck and the OP’s situation. Just seriously amazed that it was driving w/ that much movement. I’ve been in and out of my engine top and bottom and I never noticed anything so severe. I agree w/ @FJACS.

Fyi I’m totally not trying to make light of this poor truck and the OP’s situation. Just seriously amazed that it was driving w/ that much movement. I’ve been in and out of my engine top and bottom and I never noticed anything so severe. I agree w/ @FJACS.
Hey, that's testament to Toyota! They don't let up until it's over! Don't give up! She's f'ed and still hasn't let you down! Don't divorce her now!

the flywheel moves the same amount as the crank pulley?
where on the old flywheel was the grinding marks? towards the center near the ring gear? is all the way around or just in a section?
even with both sides of the thrust washer gone, there wouldn't be that amount of movement.

The flywheel is grinded grooves from the rear main. And around its grinded . Im hunting for another block right now,

Hard to tell if the engine is toast until it comes apart and everything has good look over. Its possible it could get a new set of main bearings and some thrust bearings and go back together. Or maybe grind the journals and run some oversized mains....too many ifs to worry about until its inspected.

Maybe this is the time to go with those custom domed pistions, titanium rods, aluminum flywheel, multiplate clutch.......$$$$$ :rofl:

Tommoro the oil pan comes off and im calling machine shops... i cant find any 2f block posted for sale in the entire state of texas...

If it’s not fixable you might consider a SBC swap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom