FJ55 Engine - How to Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I have recently taken over the restoration of my family's FJ55... Though I love Land Cruisers and have driven them my whole life, my knowledge is very limited. I'm told the engine has issues, primarily crank shaft but other problems as well. It was suggested that I go ahead and purchase a rebuilt original FJ55 engine and have my mechanic install it... does this sound like a reasonable idea? And if so, where does one purchase such a thing, and ensure it is high quality? Any help would be *much* appreciated.
Best,
Wendy

IMG_1255.jpeg

There are engine conditions that can be addressed without the necessity for a total replacement. You mentioned the crank and other issues, what exact issues are there? How many miles on the engine? The vehicle looks in pretty good condition so what do you think caused the engine issues?

Looks like an F or 2F will work; doesn't need to be an FJ55 motor to be a donor. I'd not hesitate to try something rough looking, but not rebuilt, if it comes up, that is just subjective opinion.

Not knowing the history of the current one in much detail, I'd say an engine swap is about correct.

How set are you on having an "original" FJ55 engine? FJ55s came with 3 different engines, the F engine, Late F engine and the 2F engine. The 2F engine started in 1975, your Pig looks to be pre-1975. It would be easier to find a rebuilt 2F than an F engine. Probably harder yet to find a Late F engine (it was only offered in 1974 or thereabouts).
A good shop(there are several in California) could probably rebuild your current engine very nicely.
A good shop could also probably find a rebuilt engine and install it for you. It would take some time and a hefty check.
Accurately diagnosing your current engine's problems could save time and money.
Pics of the engine please...

A conversion-type intake manifold stud will allow you to run old intake and exhaust equipment on a later head. If you need to mount an earlier air filter on a later engine, you must consider attention to torquing and re-torquing the head bolts for the old bracket.

Nice looking Iron Pig. You might look in Clubhouse section on IH8mud for Landcruiser club in your area. This is usually a great resource with good people to help you in your quest.

It can’t be done. Send me your address and I’ll come drag that piggy home.

Hey everyone,
Though I love Land Cruisers and have driven them my whole life, my knowledge is very limited.
Wendy

View attachment 3135133
Wendy, welcome to 'Mud.
That is a very nice looking FJ55. One can see why you want to keep it as original as possible. Unfortunately, the best way to do this is to do it yourself. Fortunately, you have the knowledge of the ages here on 'Mud.
We ('Mud) are much, much better at teaching you how to do something yourself than telling you where to have that something done.
Recommending a shop is dull and boring, walking one through an engine rebuild is fun and exciting.
We've done it before.
We do require a modicum of commitment, the willingness to get your hands dirty and an expandable tool box.
You may need tools, but for the price of 1 hour of shop time you could instead have a floor jack. And you get to keep the floor jack.
It helps if you already know which end of a hammer to hold, but we can walk you through that as well.
Other benefits include the accumulation of knowledge that you can keep and pass down to offsprings and others. Your new-found abilites will allow you to adjust valve clearances, set your own timing and much more!
Your crankshaft problem could be as simple as a leaky seal...not easy, but cheap and doable

I’d either fix what you have or pick up a good running 2F or later F series. F rebuild parts are getting impossible to find. 2F are available. I’d find a good running 2F and have it installed.

I don't have much expertise in CA emissions law, but you need to find out which replacement engines could trigger emission equipment headaches.

I read here on 'Mud that certain counties in CA have draconian emissions requirements, and installing later model engines could require emissions equipment that originally came with that engine. These regs may not apply to older trucks (pre 1975?)

This MIGHT be why you were told to find a matching engine to what you have, so you wouldn't trigger major issues.

Hey everyone,
I have recently taken over the restoration of my family's FJ55... Though I love Land Cruisers and have driven them my whole life, my knowledge is very limited. I'm told the engine has issues, primarily crank shaft but other problems as well. It was suggested that I go ahead and purchase a rebuilt original FJ55 engine and have my mechanic install it... does this sound like a reasonable idea? And if so, where does one purchase such a thing, and ensure it is high quality? Any help would be *much* appreciated.
Best,
Wendy
What is the long term plan for this 55?

Yes, it's a reasonable idea if you have no desire or time to do it yourself. Here's one source in CA for a rebuilt engine. As you can see, it's not exactly cheap. FJ40 2F Engine Rebuilt 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 - Landcruiser Parts - https://manafrelv.com/product/1975-1978-2f-rebuilt-engine/

We'd like to see more photos, please.

I don't have much expertise in CA emissions law, but you need to find out which replacement engines could trigger emission equipment headaches.

I read here on 'Mud that certain counties in CA have draconian emissions requirements, and installing later model engines could require emissions equipment that originally came with that engine. These regs may not apply to older trucks (pre 1975?)

This MIGHT be why you were told to find a matching engine to what you have, so you wouldn't trigger major issues.

Very true…

I forget that as I have a ‘74 and we also don’t have those rules here.

What year is your rig? If you have a ‘74 or newer, the block would be essentially the same as a 2F and you should be able to bolt on your existing carb, manifolds, and emission equipment on to it.

No emissions inspector is going to see the difference between an F from a 2F unless they own a Land Cruiser. If I recall, someone on Mud had a no-stamp 2F that was a Service Center replacement part in the late 70's for an F. Focus on a clean look and the sniff test.

no California Emissions inspector will ever inspect a F engine, unless someone stuffs an F engine into a 76 or newer rig. ;)

That said, if you trust your mechanics diagnosis, have your mechanic source and install a used running 2F, or a rebuilt 2F.

Be aware that a used engine in decent shape can cost about $1000-1500, and rebuilding one can cost around 5k.

As others have stated, it is altogether possible, given the description, that the current engine can be somewhat easily repaired, if it is not seriously damaged inside. (a damaged crank is pretty much a full rebuild or replace- if this is indeed the problem...)_

Again; trust of your mechanic is key. if you are not 100% sure, get a second opinion. There are a few regional land cruiser specific, and ih8mud approved mechanics. If you can verify you are in the hands of one of them, you can take comfort in that. If not, you might consider reaching out directly to one of them for their thoughts.

Off the top of my head, so cal has Marks Off Road, and northern cali has Valley Hybrids; just to call out a couple of them...

Good Luck!

I forgot, and just remembered, in my earlier post, that an early F head will not have the smog pump features, of later engines, in the casting. That might be necessary for visual inspection. Generally, the head and block of the F and 2F have the right look. I hope the position of the oil filter doesn't get anyone in trouble with emissions, yikes, just make sure all the smog stuff is there.

Georg at Valley Hybrids / Cruiser Brothers is worth a call.
If you are inclined to tackle it then I second what Pighead posted. The Knorr boys may have an engine for that, 55guy on this board.

Open the hood and send us pic. Personally, I keep it original especially if ithe original engine. Not a 100% purest. If does not have power steering get a 79 2f or newer. The head has the bolt on option for the power steering pump. Regardless, you came to the right place.

Y'all are awesome. And you're rekindling a very old dream to understand and work on car engines... For now I plan to reach out to Marks Off Road (thank you @LAMBCRUSHER) since I'm located in SoCal, but I do have a friend with the space and tools to get my hands dirty and check something off my bucket list... we'll see we'll see, and if so I'll send an engine pic. Gonna see what they say first at Marks. Thanks everyone!!!

I think Mark is on a camping trip for a few more days. He keeps his sig line up to date on availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom