FJ40 Thermostat Installation How To (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope, it’s yours in my book.

@S.CarolinaFZJ80
CF73AED5-8488-438F-896E-960560D303A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nope, it’s yours in my book.
@letterman52
I cant take credit for the idea. Another mud member & vendor @ToyotaMatt mentioned using a stud in place of a bolt. I just stumbled across a proper length stud.
They were out.
Did the FJParts gasket end up being 3mm thick?

@ToyotaMatt you got a part number for the nut that would go on the studs for the thermostat housing?

Last edited:
Since it has been nine years since a thread has been created discussing the installation of a thermostat on a 2F engine, and since I spent about 30 minutes yesterday trying to figure out how to do the installation correctly with the odd gaskets that are included in different rebuild kits, I thought I would quickly show the steps that one would take to properly (hopefully) install the thermostat. (Also the old thread has lost its picture links)

EDIT 8/12/19: Cool Cruisers and SOR have gaskets (upper, lower - thick and thin) readily available. Search on their sites for "thermostat gasket". Not sure (it's been a while) but there may be OEM parts available as well. Search on your favorite Toyota parts website).

1. On a cool engine, locate the thermostat. It is on the front on the straight 6 engine (F thru 3FE). In the photos below it is circled in yellow.

View attachment 1479621 View attachment 1479622

Place a bucket or pan underneath and loosen the hose clamps. Allow the coolant to drain into the bucket.

2. Remove the top half of the thermostat housing by removing the two bolts. Remove them slowly and carefully as these have a high tendency to break within the aluminum housing. They are fairly thin and long, and bind up in the aluminum due to the increased exposure to water.

View attachment 1479628

3. Remove the old thermostat from the housing if you are going to replace it with a new one. If you are not then you should test the thermostat to make sure it still works by placing it in a pot of water and monitoring the temperature until it reaches the proper expansion temperature. At that time the thermostat should expand.

4. Remove the old gasket. Clean the lower and upper mating surfaces of any residue from the old gasket. Use a razor blade to scrape for material from the face of the thermostat housing, and then use a cleaning agent like general spirits, brake cleaner, or other non-residue creating cleaner to remove the oil from the surface.

5. Insert the thermostat with the visible spring facing down and the domed part up. It should fit into the lip in the lower housing. Install the thermostat so the "jiggle valve", as the FSM describes it, is located at the 11 to 1 o'clock position in the housing. It allows a little circulation until the thermostat opens. (NOTE: the thermostat pictured below does NOT have a jiggle valve).

This is the bottom:

View attachment 1479629

This is the top:
View attachment 1479630
Thanks for the great write up. I just replaced my thermostat but it hasn’t change the status. What temps are you seeing at the housing? I can’t tell if my reader/sender is bad or if my coolant is too hot. 205 at the thermostat housing, about the same at the top of the radiator then 135 exiting the radiator. Normal? Or too hot?

Thanks for the great write up. I just replaced my thermostat but it hasn’t change the status. What temps are you seeing at the housing? I can’t tell if my reader/sender is bad or if my coolant is too hot. 205 at the thermostat housing, about the same at the top of the radiator then 135 exiting the radiator. Normal? Or too hot?

Did you use an OEM thermostat? What was the temp rating?

Please subscribe to my new T-TEN Empowerment through Education Technical Channel if you like what you see and hear

thanks

NOTE : produced with the help and technical consultation of @S.CarolinaFZJ80 :cool:

I was thinking about replacing my thermostat on a 1978 FJ40 because it is so old but after reading this thread, I am hesitant to tear into if for fear of breaking bolts and gasket issues. Can I use the four bolt system available for 1980+ models without any issues? Does it make sense to install the 4 bolt kit rather than trying to deal with the current 2 bolt system? Did anyone ever figure out what the 12 o'clock reference was to? front of engine to back or back to front?

I was thinking about replacing my thermostat on a 1978 FJ40 because it is so old but after reading this thread, I am hesitant to tear into if for fear of breaking bolts and gasket issues. Can I use the four bolt system available for 1980+ models without any issues? Does it make sense to install the 4 bolt kit rather than trying to deal with the current 2 bolt system? Did anyone ever figure out what the 12 o'clock reference was to? front of engine to back or back to front?

not replacing your so very old older the old 1978 Thermostat becasue of fear of breaking one or more of the same old crappy and wea
k Simple Simon is a old wise tail appoach that is kicking the JDM can of TEq down the road of it only will and does get worse each and every full rotation of the sun and moon ,

how do you know at all in any way shape or fit form and funtion , that the Dooms-Day scenero your talk about above is your pre-planned fate ?

- first use a nice deep CHROME thin wall 6-point 3/8" drive socket , sporting a 8-10" extension and a LONG handle flex head wrachet

- give each bolt a careful Sneak-Attack Righty-Tighty tweek to the Righty ,, ,,,,clock wise , then more so Lefty Loosy counter clock wise

repeat the above several times in a back and forth pattern , on the two 12mm hex clam shell bolts , DO NOT start on one thinking , about NOT-THINKING here is important , always use and apply the toyota Star-Pattern in and out FSM step by steps here ...

- if one or both will not budge and only THEN think Dooms Day is here , in a 12mm HEX Bolts way ?

- use the YELLOW only MAP gas torch kit via HOME DEPOT to pin point precision , get that Hex Head BOLT puppy cherry red HOT fast as u possibly CAN quicky like quik so the thermal BTUs do not transmit from the lower 12MM hex bolts threads into the Aluminum lower housing ,
keep that heat transfer to a minimum is requiired here

- the ONLY way actual way is H55F fast on the heat to cherry red status

- those bolts will back out now , then you seperate the Clam shells usinfg KIT GLOVES and a nice Rubber Mallet , a sand Filled one is best for me , that is called a DEAD BLOW hammer or mallet ...

- what is this GASKETS topic all about above your onerned about , please elaborate on that ?

matt

TOYOTA OEM thermostats no longer require a CLOCKING index because the "jiggle valve", as the FSM describes it,.//

is no longer on any of them have not seen that except on a FATORY PLANT A11 original era one ? that is to say if you ever see one on a so CALLED new oem 90916- of any sort ? walk the h#ll away from it and never look back .... :D

- i see the gaskets topic you refer to also , that is a EXRTEME case no doubt , but that final Solution using that K-MART Grade silly rubber thingy , is
NOT THE WAY in any way correct ...

-
the ONLY WAY on that , is to CLONE a Machine Shop milling and re-surfacing your cylinder head to engine block deck

- i WILL post some of my archived pictures tell 1001 words , TECH photos below on that , indeed chatty-matty topic , it;s too early on fathers day for all that .,...:rolleyes:

stand by :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom