FJ40 Seat upgrades, where to begin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, new to this forum, more used to the bass boat forum so I hope I’m posting in the right place.

I have inherited a 1969 fj40 , I was under the assumption the 69 and older had bench seats but this one has some beat up seats I would like to replace with procar 90 series.

However the factory seat mounts don’t seem to match anything I’ve seen and o think I am going to need yo have a seat frame installed. I see that bill Faulkner sells a frame kit, I’ve also seen the BTB one that’s sold out currently.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what route to go,

BDAA2946-665F-4479-A40E-46E6B552C225.jpeg

C87735AC-6778-410F-8F07-8ABDDCB71E80.jpeg

911E573F-B74F-4A6E-AFAA-D72601DE9330.jpeg

Those seat frames are custom. The only option I see would be to buy the seats you're buying and comparing them to those mounts and see if they can be adapted or if you need to start over from scratch.

BTW, there is a tool box under the drivers seat that currently is inaccessible.

Those seat frames are custom. The only option I see would be to buy the seats you're buying and comparing them to those mounts and see if they can be adapted or if you need to start over from scratch.

Thank you, I have the seats,

custom garbage! The toolbox is actually accessible if you remove the wing nuts on the front of the seat mounts, there are hinges on the back. It looks like they Bolton’s amounts to the place where the factory mounts go for the bench seats. I am thinking of ripping everything out and starting fresh. If the BTB mounts were in stock, I would buy one.

Thanks for the response.

328BA656-E53F-4A10-A163-0DA6DA76E176.jpeg

Hey everyone, new to this forum, more used to the bass boat forum so I hope I’m posting in the right place.

I have inherited a 1969 fj40 , I was under the assumption the 69 and older had bench seats but this one has some beat up seats I would like to replace with procar 90 series.

However the factory seat mounts don’t seem to match anything I’ve seen and o think I am going to need yo have a seat frame installed. I see that bill Faulkner sells a frame kit, I’ve also seen the BTB one that’s sold out currently.

View attachment 3213685

View attachment 3213686

View attachment 3213687
As others have posted, you do not have original seats. You might want to check some frame and engine numbers to verify that you have a 1969 FJ40. The OEM transmission is a 3 on a tree and the upper/lower transfer case is controlled by a level under the dash (right side of steering wheel). Looks like a previous owner installed a floor shifter (and maybe a four-speed). I am guessing that to give enough room for the floor shifter, the PO had to also install two bucket seats and mounting frames instead of the OEM 60/40 split bench seat. See attached photo of interior of 1969 FJ40.

72843878-770-0@2X.jpg

72843882-770-0@2X.jpg

72843891-770-0@2X.jpg

As others have posted, you do not have original seats. You might want to check some frame and engine numbers to verify that you have a 1969 FJ40. The OEM transmission is a 3 on a tree and the upper/lower transfer case is controlled by a level under the dash (right side of steering wheel). Looks like a previous owner installed a floor shifter (and maybe a four-speed). I am guessing that to give enough room for the floor shifter, the PO had to also install two bucket seats and mounting frames instead of the OEM 60/40 split bench seat. See attached photo of interior of 1969 FJ40.

View attachment 3214046

View attachment 3214048

View attachment 3214049
Awesome thank you for this, the original transmission was a three speed, my father had some work done to this cruiser about 20 years back by custom cruisers in gilroy, it’s a little hodge podge. There is a 5 speed transmission in this one, 2f engine, it even has a firebird steering whee and column. No idea why.

If I remember correctly when he Bought it, it had these seats, I am going To remove everything but the question I have is , are the tubs similar enough to mount one of the universal mounting frame in it? Or am I in over my head and should take it to a race shop to have some work done?

I'm using Bill's frame. This is the 2nd one I've purchased from him and they are great kits.

20230103_143212.jpg

I have a 69 and i also have the procar seats with the oe seat frame .

From back in 2010.

View attachment 3213685

View attachment 3213686

View attachment 3213687
Hey 2A, I’m in Danville and have Pro90s in my truck. If you want to swing by sometime and check them out before you buy let me know.

43499CF7-3873-4E15-9F05-11E77E867B9B.jpeg

Hey 2A, I’m in Danville and have Pro90s in my truck. If you want to swing by sometime and check them out before you buy let me know.

View attachment 3215245
Thanks slap shot, I’m over in Livermore. I actually own the seats already, but they sure look good on your rig. I’ve ordered a seat frame kit that I will weld up and install when it’s in and upload some pix when completed. I appreciate the offer

Thanks slap shot, I’m over in Livermore. I actually own the seats already, but they sure look good on your rig. I’ve ordered a seat frame kit that I will weld up and install when it’s in and upload some pix when completed. I appreciate the offer
The photos on his post seem to show 2 different frames. Which do you get?
Bill said it takes a couple weeks to put together and send out but when I get it I will put up photos before and after I weld it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom