FJ40 Seat upgrades, where to begin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This thread is right on time.

My 69 needs bucket seats and I’m concerned about the seat height, even though I’m only 6’. Is anyone aware of seat options that are maybe lower profile? I have the Corbeaus in my FJ62 and they’re great but there’s seemingly quite a bit of height in the cushion. So I guess I’m wondering if one could chop an inch from Bill’s kit, then steal another inch via a lower profile seat option, if there is one.

Edit: I should add that it came with a homemade kit and crappy buckets and even at my height, I was fighting the view. Hence the fear!

I’m sure there are others out there, but I went with the lowest profile I could find in the price range where I was comfortable - the Procar Rally seats. The adapters allow height adjustment, but are made to order, so unfortunately I don’t have them yet to share actual experience

I’m sure there are others out there, but I went with the lowest profile I could find in the price range where I was comfortable - the Procar Rally seats. The adapters allow height adjustment, but are made to order, so unfortunately I don’t have them yet to share actual experience
I don’t know anything about the rally, I know the procar90 are comfortable but too high profile on the seat part. I will be cutting down my frame and putting a groove on the gas tank so they will fit.

If you can find stock seats that is the direction I would go if i could do it again

I don’t know anything about the rally, I know the procar90 are comfortable but too high profile on the seat part. I will be cutting down my frame and putting a groove on the gas tank so they will fit.

If you can find stock seats that is the direction I would go if i could do it again
Good to know. How tall are you?

This thread is right on time.

My 69 needs bucket seats and I’m concerned about the seat height, even though I’m only 6’. Is anyone aware of seat options that are maybe lower profile? I have the Corbeaus in my FJ62 and they’re great but there’s seemingly quite a bit of height in the cushion. So I guess I’m wondering if one could chop an inch from Bill’s kit, then steal another inch via a lower profile seat option, if there is one.

Edit: I should add that it came with a homemade kit and crappy buckets and even at my height, I was fighting the view. Hence the fear!
I cut 1 1/2" off the back hoop of Bill's kit. Gives it a better rake. Also used flat bar for the seats and took the sliders off the factory seats. Moved them back as far as possible. I'm 6'1 and I'm stretched out with this setup. Had Mastercraft Rubicons in my previous 40 and did the same thing.

20230413_184816.jpg

20230413_184829.jpg

I cut 1 1/2" off the back hoop of Bill's kit. Gives it a better rake. Also used flat bar for the seats and took the sliders off the factory seats. Moved them back as far as possible. I'm 6'1 and I'm stretched out with this setup. Had Mastercraft Rubicons in my previous 40 and did the same thing.

View attachment 3297682

View attachment 3297684
THIS is why I love this place. Thank you.

Good to know. How tall are you?
6’ but I’m also not using the stock seat risers, the frame I have is atleast an inch taller than the factory which I’m working on having chopped down. My dad is 6’2 and his head is in the roof with the current configuration

According to Procar, the Rally seat cushion is ½” shallower than the 90 and (I think) is the lowest seat they sell. Tough to calculate apples-to-apples, but I believe it’s 1 ½ - 2” shallower than the Corbeau Sport seats.

According to Procar, the Rally seat cushion is ½” shallower than the 90 and (I think) is the lowest seat they sell. Tough to calculate apples-to-apples, but I believe it’s 1 ½ - 2” shallower than the Corbeau Sport seats.
I wonder if o can fit up some lower profile slide rails and drop it down some more

I wonder if o can fit up some lower profile slide rails and drop it down some more
I’m sure someone with a welder and more talent than me could, but I’m basically a Neanderthal with a cool truck, so I tend to look for the easiest solution.

I sent Bill an email but it's a long weekend and I'm impatient (and also likely a huge idiot):

Are the two A pipes both supposed to be female at their joint or should one of them be male, like the two B pipes? My A pipes are both female which has me confused.
20230527_162009.jpg

I sent Bill an email but it's a long weekend and I'm impatient (and also likely a huge idiot):

Are the two A pipes both supposed to be female at their joint or should one of them be male, like the two B pipes? My A pipes are both female which has me confused. View attachment 3333746
I think you’re supposed to have a sleeve welded inside one of those A pipes making it a male/ female coupling. Here’s a pic of mine before assembling

I think you’re supposed to have a sleeve welded inside one of those A pipes making it a male/ female coupling. Here’s a pic of mine before assembling
Yeah, I heard back from Bill. Turns out the sleeve had broken loose and was inside one of the A pipes. I'll redrill and button weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom